Show me your...Shop Truck? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    The truck with the big bumper and tool box of shit is 10K, gvw on the trailer is 24K, all 12 tires have 85psi in them and look like someone should put some air in them. When I bought the truck (2018) they claimed the aisin trans w/cummins could tow 30K, It will .
    I won't put quite that much on again but we have been 35k to 38k each trip and have a few left to go. I like the big truck Idea with the exception that I can't get one into either end location because of the driveways and with the hydraulic dovetail I can pull the machines up on the trailer with the winch on the truck otherwise I need a big forklift.
    You dodge the scales?

You have a DOT number?
    Or are you hauling an obviously commercial load without?
    CDL?
    At least a med card?

14K overloaded?
    Maybe you should capitalize on this scare and get it all moved before the cops get complacent with the virus thing?

I sure hope that you don't blow a tire on that truck!
    There's a reason they invented duals eh?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I built a beater '70 F-100 for a commuter with a 240/T18/3.54's and 215/85R16's and original hubcaps. The 240 was pretty gutless and beyond tired, but always fired right up and ran like a tiny swiss watch, unless it was valve adjustment time and it would take a couple turns off the rockers to combat the valves sinking into the head to get it running great again.

I pulled that motor and put a mid 90's injected 300 in it. Got about the same 20+ MPG's, but the 300 was actually kinda fast. I remember it was quicker than a brand new V6 Mustang with an auto around 2003 or so. All I did was disable EGR, fix the stupid ford EEC-IV deadpedal crap and put an aftermarket Y-pipe and single 2.5" exhaust.

I was broke as could be trying to get my business off the ground in 2006 and sold that truck in great mechanical shape for $600 (it was rust free and straight too, but was the original burnt baby shit Weyerhauser yellow color). I wish I never sold it. That thing was a blast to drive and an all around awesome get-around truck.

3. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I built a beater '70 F-100 for a commuter with a 240/T18/3.54's and 215/85R16's and original hubcaps. The 240 was pretty gutless and beyond tired, but always fired right up and ran like a tiny swiss watch, unless it was valve adjustment time and it would take a couple turns off the rockers to combat the valves sinking into the head to get it running great again.

I pulled that motor and put a mid 90's injected 300 in it. Got about the same 20+ MPG's, but the 300 was actually kinda fast. I remember it was quicker than a brand new V6 Mustang with an auto around 2003 or so. All I did was disable EGR, fix the stupid ford EEC-IV deadpedal crap and put an aftermarket Y-pipe and single 2.5" exhaust.

I was broke as could be trying to get my business off the ground in 2006 and sold that truck in great mechanical shape for $600 (it was rust free and straight too, but was the original burnt baby shit Weyerhauser yellow color). I wish I never sold it. That thing was a blast to drive and an all around awesome get-around truck.
    Last I knew the 300 was an in line engine, why does it need a y pipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I take it that he replaced the manifold to center dumps.
    ???

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You dodge the scales?

You have a DOT number?
    Or are you hauling an obviously commercial load without?
    CDL?
    At least a med card?

14K overloaded?
    Maybe you should capitalize on this scare and get it all moved before the cops get complacent with the virus thing?

I sure hope that you don't blow a tire on that truck!
    There's a reason they invented duals eh?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I talked with the police in all 3 states before buying the truck or trailer and was told they don't want pickups in the scales, now if I put a flatbed on it it is a whole new set of rules. I was told by all 3 that as long as I was moving my own stuff and not hauling ofr pay they likely would not give me any trouble as long as the load looked to be secure. All 3 also told I may have a problem with my class "C" if I was stopped but again likely as not there was not going to be a big deal as long as it is my stuff.

We don't plan to be that heavy any more but the thought of being locked down where we were didn't seem too good either. Our place in Ca is being over run with folks from Sacramento to the bay area buying out the grocery stores etc. They came to San andreas and Valley springs in one day and bought all the meat, TP and paper toweles in 3 stores? We had not planned on making the switch to full time here until we were able to insulate and expand the Idaho building. My wife and I were scared out of California by cooties so small I can't see them with my glasses on and I'm 6'8 and 320 lbs, whoda thunk?

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, all pumped up like that - I understand that you don't "look" overloaded, and most five-oh types wouldn't guess at the weight.

I fully understand your desire to pull out early!

However - I have had truck tires (radials) blow chords several miles from the last heavy load and when empty, so - I would recommend that you be prepared for the possibility to lose a rear truck tire. Even if it means just having a matching tire - even if you don't have a rim for it.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Well, all pumped up like that - I understand that you don't "look" overloaded, and most five-oh types wouldn't guess at the weight.

I fully understand your desire to pull out early!

However - I have had truck tires (radials) blow chords several miles from the last heavy load and when empty, so - I would recommend that you be prepared for the possibility to lose a rear truck tire. Even if it means just having a matching tire - even if you don't have a rim for it.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Got the factory spare under the bed and 2 new m+s on rims in her trailer.

10. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_0107.jpgimg_0049.jpg

The Red GMC1500 was the original shop truck. Best truck I've ever had in 150k miles only ever needed a waterpump and fuel injector for the TBI. Even at 300k miles still drove great.

The F350 with a 7.3L is the current shop truck, it's mainly used with a pop-up camper these days. It's not as nice to drive as the GMC was. The steering wanders a bit despite balljoints and all other joints being in good condition. It has a 4" lift that doesn't help, I'm either going to a 2" lift, or go back to stock, that way I can use a stock pitman arm rather than the offset one it has now.

I'd probably sell the F350 if I could find a Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 long bed crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0L engine.

12. Likes wheelieking71, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Last I knew the 300 was an in line engine, why does it need a y pipe?
    The EFI version of the 300 six made from 1987 through 1997 had two cast manifolds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    The EFI version of the 300 six made from 1987 through 1997 had two cast manifolds.
    To new for me! LOL The cars I was working on back then had 2.65L Cosworth V8s in them.

15. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the truck to work hauling materials for working on the shop a few evenings ago. It rides great once I get all that weight on it...empty not so much haha.

20200323_202204.jpg

17. Likes Ox, kustomizer, wheelieking71, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did someone say shop truck? Here's mine:
    86842047_3040075026003131_4457028579720429568_o.jpg

19. Likes DrHook, Mud liked this post
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I talked with the police in all 3 states before buying the truck or trailer and was told they don't want pickups in the scales, now if I put a flatbed on it it is a whole new set of rules. I was told by all 3 that as long as I was moving my own stuff and not hauling ofr pay they likely would not give me any trouble as long as the load looked to be secure. All 3 also told I may have a problem with my class "C" if I was stopped but again likely as not there was not going to be a big deal as long as it is my stuff.

We don't plan to be that heavy any more but the thought of being locked down where we were didn't seem too good either. Our place in Ca is being over run with folks from Sacramento to the bay area buying out the grocery stores etc. They came to San andreas and Valley springs in one day and bought all the meat, TP and paper toweles in 3 stores? We had not planned on making the switch to full time here until we were able to insulate and expand the Idaho building. My wife and I were scared out of California by cooties so small I can't see them with my glasses on and I'm 6'8 and 320 lbs, whoda thunk?
    Regular cops don't know or care about DOT regs. You are correct that moving your own stuff is OK the way you do it however, if you look at the licensing for your truck and trailer yon need a class A EXEMPT to be legal. A 10K tag trailer or 14K gooseneck is where the higher license come into play. You made it this far but, you got bunk info on the details from the cops. There is a gray area about needing a DOT medical card towing more than 10K unless it is an RV also?

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    Regular cops don't know or care about DOT regs. You are correct that moving your own stuff is OK the way you do it however, if you look at the licensing for your truck and trailer yon need a class A EXEMPT to be legal. A 10K tag trailer or 14K gooseneck is where the higher license come into play. You made it this far but, you got bunk info on the details from the cops. There is a gray area about needing a DOT medical card towing more than 10K unless it is an RV also?

Steve
    I just got my Idaho drivers license, ( done at the Sheriff's office here ) and I did ask about these very things. The Sheriff here asked me if this was something I would be doing for a long time and when I told him I was thinking we would be done in the next few months he told me not to worry about it but that I should add weight to my registration on the pickup which I did do. He said the same thing in that we are in a gray area but seeing it as a temporary condition that he thought we chould just keep on keeping on. We will be lighter in the next trips as we have enough stuff to be able to work here now and the orders have all but stopped.

22. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20180329_133437.jpg
    Service truck / crane rig.
    I have no idea how I managed so long without.
    Lathe, mill, forklift, auto lifts, whatever. The crane is rated for 10K best case, drops off to under 3000# horizontal at full extension but immensely handy.
    Most of the benefits of having a forklift handy and a short / maneuverable setup. I also much prefer lifting a machine tool from a hook over perching it on forks.
    I could use fewer toolboxes on the truck and more bed space, but the tall-rigid sides do offer a level of security that makes it easier to feel good about how secure one's load it.

24. Likes Ox, johfoster, kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like a handy bastard, is it 4 wd?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like a handy bastard, is it 4 wd?
    Only if you count the four wheels in the back, which does help I assure you, but not like you mean.
    After that photo was taken I chopped off the back work deck, it was a few inches below the main bed which made getting things in and out in any way other than with the crane miserable. Now it has a turning circle smaller than my buddy's F350 crew-cab and fits in a normal parking space (as long as it's on the wide side of things). 750Lbs isn't a big chunk of the 18,000 empty weight but it does go up hills a little quicker without it too.

27. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well..I've already posted a pix of my second shop truck but here is my first shop truck. It didn't haul much shop stuff but sure helped me with the honeys...and I needed all the help I could get!

Stuart

bb1.jpgbb2.jpgbb3.jpgbb4.jpg

29. Likes DrHook, kustomizer, Ray Behner, Ox, johfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

48-201-b.jpg

'48 Diamond T, now getting a Cummins 4BT and ZF 5 speed installed. Slow, slow, slow. Rides well only with a ton on it.

31. Likes matt_isserstedt, DrHook, kustomizer, Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Well..I've already posted a pix of my second shop truck but here is my first shop truck. It didn't haul much shop stuff but sure helped me with the honeys...and I needed all the help I could get!

Stuart

bb1.jpgbb2.jpgbb3.jpgbb4.jpg
    Does that turbo suck through the carb?