Show me your...Shop Truck? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it drew through the carburetor then pushed into another part of the adapter and into the engine. It was a early 'Turbo-sonic' unit and it worked pretty well. Had a 7 lb spring in the wastegate.

Stuart

PS. Remembering, as it has been a long time ago, the adapter the carb sat on had a series of 4 floating steel discs in it. Under normal running the fuel/air would enter the engine through these ports. Under boost, the positive pressure would close the discs and the fuel/air would now be pulled into the turbo and sent to the engine below the adapter. It sounds sort of funky but it did work and there was no noticeable lag as it went from no boost to boost.
    Last edited by atomarc; 04-02-2020 at 04:12 PM.

2. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Yes, it drew through the carburetor then pushed into another part of the adapter and into the engine. It was a early 'Turbo-sonic' unit and it worked pretty well. Had a 7 lb spring in the wastegate.

Stuart
    Did it have anything to richen the mixture when it was on boost or did it just rely on airflow through the carb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep in mind this was a bazillion years ago I have have cerebral cobwebs now. It was a Rochester Quadrajet and the secondary metering rods and jets were modified to dump extra fuel when they opened..when the motor was under boost. At least that's how I remember it. This was in the mid to late 70's and things were still somewhat in their early stages, turbo wise..at least in my area.

So, nothing special to richen the mixture, only tweaking in the carburetor.

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lift-a-load, Megahoist, isuzu FTR. I like those NPRs but they have a narrower track than a dually and are not dock height...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20190913_0958159.jpg   20140922_143551.jpg   004-4-.jpg   024-2-.jpg  

6. Likes johfoster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was trying to buy an FTR for awhile last year. I would still get one, but the NPR is just much more readily available and cheap on the used market. I never need dock height so it is nice having the lower bed. I would probably still get an FTR if a deal came up just to have a heavy flatbed for hauling equipment etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like my FTR, this one used to be a reefer, Allison 3000, built to 33k specs but tagged at 29590, but it is pretty heavy, and only gets about 9 mpg average. Its a tool though and works perfectly for what I need it to do. I built a mini sleeper in the back that I haven't had to use yet, but it's comfortable. Cabover is great bc the overall length is so short, very manuverable.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am curious to see the sleeper set up if you care to share that. I have always imagined doing something similar if I get a bigger truck for buying equipment and such..

I bet the FTR still turns better than my Chevy 3500 in the first post even though it is such a large truck. The tight radius and fitting in a regular parking spot width are both things I really like about the NPR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just built a birch ply box perimeter frame so I could have storage underneath, split hinged lid so I can open it from either side if I push whatever is on top to the opposite side. It doesn't have a bottom, just meets the stock floor profile around the edges. Thermarest self inflating camping mattress fits perfectly. I have translucent corregated plastic panels (like real estate sign material) that pop in to the window trim- lets light in but you can't see in, and an LED goose neck reading light. Truck comes with a curtain track in the roof, so I hung a sliding curtain in there that runs just behind the seats. Tight, but fine for me. photo is before I added the curtain. Would not qualify as a sleeper by commercial rules of course because it has no dedicated door, but I don't need that. The only thing I didn't realize when I got it was that you can't do an in frame rebuild on the isuzu engine because it splits at the main bearing joint. I think a cat engine was available in some models prior to 06 though. Backup camera was essential.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011-3-.jpg  

11. Likes TeachMePlease, johfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    Lift-a-load, Megahoist, isuzu FTR. I like those NPRs but they have a narrower track than a dually and are not dock height...
    Can you show us a few more pictures and details about your MegaHoist. Is this homemade or a commercial product. I did a google search dor megahoist but didn't get anywhere

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It WAS a commercial product, and they had a zombie website up until a few years ago. Its nice because the gantry cantilevers out 2' past the lowered tailgate, so you if you have a bulky item you don't necessarily need to remove the tailgate, or you can close it and go over it, and you don't need to do any modifications to the truck to mount it. rated 1500lbs. I bought 2 of them used at an auction in Atlanta a few years ago. I put one in my truck and sold the other to a guy in FINLAND who mounted it on the ROOF of his hummer expedition truck so he could stow his jet skis up there (!). There is another company who makes a similar one out of jumbo 8020 type stuff but I can't remember the name. I had to narrow this one to fit my dodge because the bed tapers at the rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails megahoist-hummer.jpg   2020-04-08-10.54.50.jpg   2020-04-08-10.55.03.jpg   1500lb-megahoist.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are wondering how it got to Finland, I cut it apart for him and crated it so he could reweld it when it arrived! Had to be a heat treated crate to be allowed in to finland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150921_123027.jpg   20150921_145910.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have found a very similar product to your Megahoist from a company called Ezy-Lift

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ezy-lift (ezylift.com) and weightliftertruck.com have what appear to be competing products. ("A-frame hoist for pickup truck" seemed to be the right search term.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember seeing ezylift, looks like they have added a lot to their line. What might be most overlooked is that there are no structural mods required, huge advantage over a small truck crane

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had to move a stack of 20ft panels, and Purlins the other day. I would've had to drive 2hrs to get a trailer, but this cab/chassis NPR is here at the shop. I threw some dunnage on the frame rails and went for it. (Short trip through neighborhood streets only) Not sure I would try this again, though it worked out fine.
    20200417_153054.jpg
    Didn't pop any sweet wheelies unfortunately, another 30 panels on the stack maybe I wouldve been close haha.
    20200417_154433.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    Didn't pop any sweet wheelies unfortunately
    YouTube
    did you use this technique for the unload

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    2003 F-350 4x4 6.0/ZF6

I make a few parts for the 6.0's and 6.4's. Basically bought this truck because it is a crew ZF6 with power windows and nice interior. I have a 12 valve to go in it, but haven't managed to scatter the 6.0 yet. When the 6.0 comes out I will use it to demo the install of parts.

With 385,000 miles on it I have done the following to keep it healthy:

-Changed oil on a strict 65,000 mile schedule.

-Changed oil filter once, it was the wrong filter, but it was expensive and I didn't want to go back to the parts store so I stuck it in anyway

-Add water to the cracked degas bottle when it overheats from heavy towing (only locked up solid once, icy cold water got it freed up though)

-Tied rope around waterpump shaft and each of the fan's blades to bypass the bullshit electric fan clutch

-Used 2nd gear instead of trailer brakes a few times. Engine has no problem spinning way past where the tach stops at 5000

-Replaced 3 driver's side unit bearings within one 20K mile span. I hate unit bearings (product in the works BTW)

Overall, I love the truck except for the turning radius and the engine's performance. I have a set of '08 axles to go under this when the cummins goes in someday.

The picture is why I love Superduties. That's a 3000+ lb 8' tall press brake behind the rear axle. I drove that 40 miles and it handled it just peachy.
    Just an update to this post.

Sunday I finally successed at killing the 385,000 mile abused and neglected six-oh. The rope driving the fan blade stopped doing it's job up a 7% grade near MT Hood and with the temp gauge pegged I kept it to the floor and crested the top pretty toasty. I think I could have made it home if I stopped and added water, but I kept right on going (about 70 miles from home) and made it another 50 miles before the engine lost all oil pressure, lunched the turbo and we coasted to the shoulder.

I had a feeling she was nearing the end and added roadside assistance to my USAA policy last week.

Today I got the old beater C10 running again and ordered a couple grand in goodies for the 12 valve that will replace the six oh in 2 weeks.

Is anyone else kinda sick like me and get excited when you scatter something so you can build it bigger, faster, stronger?

21. Likes Ox, jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    ......Is anyone else kinda sick like me and get excited when you scatter something so you can build it bigger, faster, stronger?
    I've read about people like you on the internet.

23. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1997 Ford F-800 Lo-Pro rollback. 5.9 Cummins 6 Speed Spicer trans. Since acquiring this truck in 2016 I haven't driven a pick-up.

Mark
    Berkshire Transmissions
    North Adams, Massachusetts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73057733_2270527159743759_2220528848292806656_n.jpg  

25. Likes johfoster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FirstEliminator View Post
    1997 Ford F-800 Lo-Pro rollback. 5.9 Cummins 6 Speed Spicer trans. Since acquiring this truck in 2016 I haven't driven a pick-up.

Mark
    Berkshire Transmissions
    North Adams, Massachusetts
    Is that a potato digger beside the truck?

27. Likes DrHook liked this post