Show me your...Shop Truck? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it drew through the carburetor then pushed into another part of the adapter and into the engine. It was a early 'Turbo-sonic' unit and it worked pretty well. Had a 7 lb spring in the wastegate.

Stuart

PS. Remembering, as it has been a long time ago, the adapter the carb sat on had a series of 4 floating steel discs in it. Under normal running the fuel/air would enter the engine through these ports. Under boost, the positive pressure would close the discs and the fuel/air would now be pulled into the turbo and sent to the engine below the adapter. It sounds sort of funky but it did work and there was no noticeable lag as it went from no boost to boost.
    Last edited by atomarc; 04-02-2020 at 04:12 PM.

2. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Yes, it drew through the carburetor then pushed into another part of the adapter and into the engine. It was a early 'Turbo-sonic' unit and it worked pretty well. Had a 7 lb spring in the wastegate.

Stuart
    Did it have anything to richen the mixture when it was on boost or did it just rely on airflow through the carb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep in mind this was a bazillion years ago I have have cerebral cobwebs now. It was a Rochester Quadrajet and the secondary metering rods and jets were modified to dump extra fuel when they opened..when the motor was under boost. At least that's how I remember it. This was in the mid to late 70's and things were still somewhat in their early stages, turbo wise..at least in my area.

So, nothing special to richen the mixture, only tweaking in the carburetor.

Stuart