What's new
What's new

Sleipner system

Crude but looks like it works. Also looks like it requires quite a bit of coordination between the truck driver and the excavator. Those dollies must be pretty strong to withstand that excavator climbing on them.

I thought those big shovels were usually all electric and powered by an umbilical cord. Is this one just a diesel like a normal excavator?

my neighbor moved his backhoe around town in a similar fashion back in the 60's. cops didn't like it much at all.

I thought those big shovels were usually all electric and powered by an umbilical cord. Is this one just a diesel like a normal excavator?
The really big Rope Shovels made by Bucyrus (now Caterpillar) and P & H Minepro are electric. I don't know if anyone makes a electric hydraulic shovel because all the hydraulic ones (Hitachi, Liebherr, Demag, O&K) I read about were I.C. engined.

Yes, this one is diesel. They usually don't go electric until you get into the really big shovels, which have all but gone away in the last few years. The shovel in the vid is actually pretty small by strip mining standards.

The transport system is just a dolly setup that is pretty common in heavy haul. This one is just customized to fit the tracks and withstand the excavator crawling upon it.

Back