sorta OT - Am I a commercial truck with trailer - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
    In Ohio I do not believe that this is the case anymore in regards to the comment about needing class A for a trailer over 10000#. I thought this also but just had a chat with someone about this a while back. The way I understand it now is that as long as you do not go over the 26000# mark with the combination of truck and trailer GVWR's you do not need a CDL.
    Yes, I think you are correct about that. Illinois definitely used to require a CDL for any trailer over 10,000, but I just looked and it does now say the combined GVW has to be over 26,000.

The FMCSA has an "occasional use" and "non-business related" exemption to the CDL rules as well. I believe in that case you are still limited to 26,000 lbs combination.

2. Likes SteveBausch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 4 months ago I hauled an 8500 lb Lodge and Shipley lathe on a Sunbelt trailer towed by a 1 ton Dodge from north of Detroit to the Columbus Ohio area. No one bothered me at all and we were around plenty of cops that day. The rental trailer from sunbelt was great, Tilt bed made unloading a breeze. It towed so nice it was like it was not there.

4. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got popped by the DOT in my Chevy 3500 utility. I haven't had a dot# since I bought it in 2010. But here in NJ, they are cracking down hard now.

When I got pulled over. They guy was nice and informative, but I now have to go through the weight station any time I pass it. They now require a dot # even if you are intrastate only.

Something of your size, I doubt anyone would care. Your weights are under everything that the dot cares about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    When I got pulled over. They guy was nice and informative, but I now have to go through the weight station any time I pass it. They now require a dot # even if you are intrastate only.
    That varies by state. Here in Illinois, you can run intrastate with no DOT number. But, in every state that surrounds us you need one.

But, we have to have instratate authority, where every state that surrounds us allows the federal authority for intrastate operations.

It's a mine field.

7. Likes SteveBausch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot but I’ve made the trip to Cleveland from just north of Detroit a couple times hauling machines without any issues. IMO, anything under 2k is pickup bed territory. 3/4” Plywood works great to save the bed. Strap it down, block it in, tarp it and don’t worry about it....that’s in a 2012 Ram 2500.

The drop deck trailers are the nicest trailers I’ve ever used to haul a machine. They’re light, tow great, lift 10k off the ground and self leveling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm no expert when it comes to legal but I do have an anecdote.

My dad does commercial trucking, a little bit of everything, he has trailers for bulk liquid, dry-bulk, van trailers, and flatbed (he does a lot of oversize ag/industrial equipment. Anyways, my car broke down in OH once, catastrophic, no limping it home. Dad came to the rescue with his F350 service truck (weighs over 10k alone due to tools etc) plus tilt-back bumper pull trailer. When we crossed into IN on I70 he knew the law was he had to go through the scales and having his cdl he didn't want to risk running afoul of the law bc it's hard to claim ignorance then. Of course being a "non-standard" guest of the weigh station garnered attention and he got diverted to the back. Official came out looked at plates, dad explained commercial truck being used for personal purposes, official acted annoyed and said, "go"

10. Likes SteveBausch liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Below is a paragraph out of Missouri licensing laws. I run 26,000 plates and stay below the combined weight of the truck trailer and payload. Its combined weight that they go by here. I verified with DOT. You still have to stay within vehicle and trailer axle limits. 26,000lbs and below is non cdl. I have a class e licence. Use to be called a scheufers licence. I'm alowed above 18,000 but not over 26,000lb plates
    Read the last sentence in the next paragraph.

Trucks (“Commercial Vehicles”)

Registration fees for trucks, including all pickup trucks and all utility-type vehicles that are registered as trucks, are determined by your truck’s weight, and whether you will be using the truck locally (within 50 miles from home) or over a wider area. Your truck’s weight includes the weight of any other trailers or property that you might haul during the registration period.

[Trucks weight includes weight of trailer and weight of any other property.]
    Combined

Link to Missouri licence laws.
    Motor Vehicle Fees

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Way under 26,000 lbs of plate registrations

No air brakes

Less than 15 passengers

No hazardous materials

One trailer, not two or three

Not really a risk to public

Don’t worry, just don’t spill anything

Not marked as school bus, right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBausch View Post
    Way under 26,000 lbs of plate registrations

No air brakes

Less than 15 passengers

No hazardous materials

One trailer, not two or three

Not really a risk to public

Don’t worry, just don’t spill anything

Not marked as school bus right?
    I haul safe. I could drive a school bus unless that's changed but only when hell freezes over. My 2004 f350 v10 has a tow rating of 19,500. I have a goosneck with two 12,000lbs duallies. About 10,000 lbs is about all I haul.
    7,700 truck
    6,000 trailer
    10,000 load
    Puts me just under 24,000 with a couple thousand cushion.
    I dont get tickets. It could happen but I avoid giving my money away. Follow the rules. Haul safe
    I mostly haul my 9000lb skid steer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have looked into this issue quite a bit. Actual weight of your truck trailer and load is irrelevant (to a point). What DOT looks at is the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), so if GVWR of truck is 10,000lbs, and trailer is 18,000lbs, with NOTHING on the trailer, you need a commercial license. BTDT paid the fines for it.

15. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even cops get stuff wrong. Had two cops tell me I needed a permit for a fence while my crazy neighbor was present.

Uh, no I don’t.

I have the CDL, and I haul doubles, etc. and I suggest a written finding from an official in each state you plan to travel.

All you need is someone who has a poor grasp of the regulations to give you a bad day.

If you don’t leave the state, you aren’t interstate.

If you are interstate, then remember:

The FMCSA requires that: All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds are obligated to acquire and maintain a lawful Medical Examiner's Certificate, even if the vehicle doesn't require a CDL.
    Last edited by SteveBausch; 03-09-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I have looked into this issue quite a bit. Actual weight of your truck trailer and load is irrelevant (to a point). What DOT looks at is the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), so if GVWR of truck is 10,000lbs, and trailer is 18,000lbs, with NOTHING on the trailer, you need a commercial license. BTDT paid the fines for it.
    That is correct. The combined weight is 28,000# CDL needed.
    Stay under 26,000. I never haul anything for anyone. I got burnt out on favors. Skid steer ,tractor they want favor. No
    Something goes wrong hauling a lathe for someone you are screwed.
    I would go commercial if I Intended to haul for others.
    I just tell them that i wouldn't ask them to break the law for me so dont ask me to break the law.
    Then I'm a jerk and they get mad. They weren't a friend. Were they
    Commercial is the key word on the medical card.

18. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about renting a U-Haul utility trailer?
    Cheap, easily over your load and screams not commercial to the law enforcement.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back again
    This is that paragraph out of the Missouri licence book.
    Motor Vehicle Fees

The statement below is also correct.
    [Commercial] [interstate commerce] are where the medical card comes in.
    You can be up to 26,000 and not commercial and not on interstate commerce business.

I know I can go to Illinois and be legal. Iowa also.
    I agree that checking with each state is a wise move before traveling.
    The FMCSA requires that: All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 10,000 pounds are obligated to acquire and maintain a lawful Medical Examiner's Certificate, even if the vehicle doesn't require a CD

[Comercial] only comercial

The 26,000 plate came to be because all the farmers had grain trucks with 24,000 plates and were on the line of being over weight. So they made the 26,000 plate to accommodate. I believe that most states in the midwest have made it a standard. Could be wrong. Always check before leaving the state.
    How many trucks with big campers are over their 18,000 plates cruising the country over weight. The dont seem to mess with them.
    I ran a rollback comercial for a couple of years. Got pulled by DOT once. He was decent. He educated me. Showed me about five things he could write violations on.
    I decided I couldn't even go comercial with that truck. And it had just passed Missouri safety inspection.

They make it almost impossible for a small comercial guy to get off the ground. I hear what you guys running a comercial truck are saying. I had a safe truck by the inspection station standard but not DOT. Double standard.
    So I decided I would stay under 26,000 # and not do comercial hauls and not do interstate commerce. I haven't given up going comercial. I would need to hire a driver for over 500 mile trips.

I went to the weigh station in Warrenton Missouri. I got my ass chewed out for pulling up and getting out of the car. The didn't like that. They worry about someone walking up and going ballistics. I get that. If you remember my disgraced avatar picture you can see their concern. Crusty looking animal.
    Anyway he answered my 26,000 question. He warned me not to push the guidelines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In your shoes, I'd rent a box truck from UHaul, Ryder or Penske. UHaul will require skidding, and some creative tiedowns.

For Ryder or Penske get one with E-track inside, which can do 1600 pounds well enough, perhaps with some blocking on the floor.

You will sail thru, and if forklift is an issue at your end, you can always transfer to your truck and move it 'locally'.

22. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    IActual weight of your truck trailer and load is irrelevant
    That used to be true, but the law has been changed. It now reads greater of factory gvw plate or actual weight.