What's new
What's new

Source for parts to build a cargo box on a flatbed trailer

LowEnergyParticle

Cast Iron
I'm looking to add a cargo enclosure to an 18' 12K# trailer. I'm fine with welding up the frame and riveting sheet aluminum sides and top, but I'm no sheet metal worker so things like doors and the vee-nose transition pieces I'd just as soon buy. Does anyone know a source for cargo box pieces? Also, I haven't drawn up any plans yet and if left to my own devices I tend to overbuild when working in unfamiliar areas; can someone recommend some existing plans?
Thanks very much!
Dave

I'm looking to add a cargo enclosure to an 18' 12K# trailer. I'm fine with welding up the frame and riveting sheet aluminum sides and top, but I'm no sheet metal worker so things like doors and the vee-nose transition pieces I'd just as soon buy. Does anyone know a source for cargo box pieces? Also, I haven't drawn up any plans yet and if left to my own devices I tend to overbuild when working in unfamiliar areas; can someone recommend some existing plans?
Thanks very much!
Dave

Awhile ago someone here inquired about aluminum extrusions for boat bridges (or what ever you call that part up top).
Links were provided to some places in the east coast, and IIRC there were also sections in their catalogs for just what you want.

search the archives.

No one sells such prefab pieces, sizes are too variable.. I doubt it makes economic sense to build you own enclosure. Manufacturer buy materials in bulk at true wholesale prices. You will pay retail. Your best bet is to buy a used enclosed trailer and sell your open one.

I have built a few boxes mainly because I wanted custom depths and didn't care to much about leakage but i have a finger brake to do the bending. if you can at all buy even close to what you want your better off if its a custom your after you can buy a box close to what you need and and cut the face of it off and attach to your box. now after that. I bought bullet hinges and latches off of eBay. piano hinges are horrible when they start rusting a lot of boxes use them though depend on how often the box gets opened. on one of the bigger boxes I used 2 layers of 16 gauge for the doors with an x out of 1/2 x1/8 flat bar on edge for stiffness between the 2 sheets that makes a nice stiff door.
edit i misunderstood your post your wanting a whole cargo trailer that I have no idea but cant erase my post

Back