What's new
What's new

Storage of Bluebird Engine Hoist

mrplasma

Aluminum
I have used Bluebird engine hoists for years, and really like them other than the difficulty in storing them when disassembled. Bluebird makes a storage cart for them (2nd photo), but they can't be found used, and cost over $1,400 new.

I would be interested in any comments you might have about an idea I came up with for storing them. This method requires only partial disassembly, and stores in a 24" x 41" footprint.

In short, I fabricated rectangular tubing stubs with casters on one end that fit into the base of the hoist in place of the regular legs. They have rectangular tubing receptacles welded on top that hold the two long legs and boom vertically. The hoist already has swiveling casters on the base.

I am waiting for another short piece of rectangular tubing for the boom to arrive to finish it.

Bluebird hoist.jpg Bluebird_factory_cart.jpg Fabricated legs.jpg Improved cart drawing.jpg

I have used Bluebird engine hoists for years, and really like them other than the difficulty in storing them when disassembled. Bluebird makes a storage cart for them (2nd photo), but they can't be found used, and cost over $1,400 new.

I would be interested in any comments you might have about an idea I came up with for storing them. This method requires only partial disassembly, and stores in a 24" x 41" footprint.

In short, I fabricated rectangular tubing stubs with casters on one end that fit into the base of the hoist in place of the regular legs. They have rectangular tubing receptacles welded on top that hold the two long legs and boom vertically. The hoist already has swiveling casters on the base.

I am waiting for another short piece of rectangular tubing for the boom to arrive to finish it.

View attachment 323129 View attachment 323130 View attachment 323131 View attachment 323132

Mine just leans in the corner by the air compressor, parts of it fall down once in a while, prolly from the air compressor vibrating! Thought about making a cart, but..... never do today what you can put off till tomorrow!

I remember the first day I owned a forklift and it hit me that a 3000 lb forklift has a smaller footprint than a cherrypicker while being 1000 % more useful.

I remember the first day I owned a forklift and it hit me that a 3000 lb forklift has a smaller footprint than a cherrypicker while being 1000 % more useful.

I starting reading the op and just thinking about how much engine hoists suck and that I am glad I haven't had to use one in a long time. I would be lost without a forklift. I guess I don't see the need for the cart to store it unless you need to move it folded up through doorways or long distances. If it were me it would just lean up against the wall like Moonlight. Your method looks like a good solution without buying the high priced cart.

I think the bend in the lift arm will allow me to hoist into the newer lifted pickups. Modern pickup beds are about 6" higher then 10 years ago. For no reason, just show. ground clearance improved by 1/2" for decreased stability excess weight etc. You think Ford would have thought twice about suspension changes.
Bill D

I think the bend in the lift arm will allow me to hoist into the newer lifted pickups. Modern pickup beds are about 6" higher then 10 years ago. For no reason, just show. ground clearance improved by 1/2" for decreased stability excess weight etc. You think Ford would have thought twice about suspension changes.
Bill D

I think the new jacked up pickups suck. I lowered my 1 ton, not in the weeds but enough that it is easy to get in and out of and the bed is easier to load as well.

I finished the above project and thought I would post a couple of photos after completion. It rolls around easily, and avoids having to completely disassemble the thing or lug a bunch of heavy parts around to store it.

Bluebird cart 1.jpg Bluebird cart 2.jpg

I like how my OTC attaches the legs. They are attached with a simple swivel joint and get stored vertically. One pin and they can be removed for shipping.
Tip to install the legs tilt the base to one side and put a 2x4 under to keep it up a fraction. Makes it much easier to pull or push the legs one/off. A 12" long piece of 2x4 lives on my hoist now.
My hoist was bought used and it sat outside in Nevada for years. I pulled the wheels and cleaned and greased them. Made it much easier to push. Now it moves easier then the horrible fright special which weighs half as much.
Bill D

Back