Suggestions for help sending a big mill to Peru? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been importing and exporting internationally for about 28 years.

There is zero problem for the OP .. only for the buyer, potentially.

The OP seller, delivers a package, crate or pallet to the loading dock after he has been 100% paid.
    For about 1-1.5% of value insurance is available for any shipper be it buyer or seller, covering anything they want to buy insurance for.

The OP seller has been fully paid and insures his risks for 1.5% for "whatever".
    The shipper carries comprehensive insurance overall, and transports the goods to the contracted delivery point.

At that point the buyer will need to arrange for customs brokerage, and or any final handling or transport.
    And pay a typically tiny customs fee == 0.1% of value, and some customs brokerage 500-1500$ fees, the VAT of typically == 15-20% on top of those.
    It is all on the buyer.
    If the buyer fails to pay, or pick up, nothing burdens the OP/seller.

His liability ends at his dock at pickup, subject to fraudulent goods.
    He has delivered.

The OP may want insurance, to guard against any future problems and or claimbacks from ebay.
    Ebay is usually very good, but sometimes not.
    I believe these days ebay has actual people available to answer cases - unlike the past.

As the US seller I would contact ebay, and then once contact is made send photos, with weight, date via newspaper in photo etc.
    Ask ebay for a pre-ruling to avoid false claims of goods not being as agreed.
    My experiences 40+ were overwhelmingly positive with ebay.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having exported a machine to South America I can say that we were required to quantify the accuracy of the machine (controller resolution and encoder resolution) such that the machine could not be used for production of high tolerance work required for nuclear proliferation.

Apart from this, the machine export “broker” was a company called “Toolquip” and they took care of everything including shipping container and trucking to the port. We just had to get the machine into the container and fastened to the floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That machine sold for $305 - that’s not worth lifting a finger for, contact the next highest bidder ($300) and sell it to him, your listing did say “local pick-up only - no shipping”

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I didn't see if the OP's machine can be loaded into a standard cargo container.
    Doors are 96", if it'll fit that makes life so much easier. Open top is slightly wider but you'd have to crane it in from above, $$$.

Otherwise it's flat rack and export packing plus nowadays may as well pay the extra $3,000 for vacuum packing. He's not going to get a case built for less than $5000. More likely $7500. Then they will add on "extra charges" like $5000 for taking it across the street to the dock. And then the asshole trucking company tacks on an extra $700 for tarping the machine in transit. I'll go expose that worthless prick in another thread.

For a $300 mill, it's absolutely not worth the seller's time even to call around. The buyer would be lucky to get it done for under ten grand.

I should think that would help greatly.
    It does, but usually not enough. You really can't justify shipping a machine that's worth less than $50,000. If a guy has to spend so much on shipping, it's silly to buy a $500 machine. We've done a couple that were small and easy but only for friends, not to make even a nickel on and it was still no fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The buyer should have contacted seller long before bidding.