What's new
What's new

Suggestions for Riggers near San Antonio or Austin, Texas ?

Spud

Diamond
Any suggestion for a rigging company near San Antonio or Austin Texas ? Preferably one that can also ship the item.

Someone that can lift and load a lathe weighing anywere from 8000lbs - 8500 lbs.

Anyone contracted a rigging company to move a machine of similar weight in that part of the country? If so how much did it cost?

Thanks

I used MEI for delivery of my 18X40 Hwacheon (6500lbs) Very professional, on time, fully outfitted, and made sure I was happy. Not cheap. Removed the lathe from the truck, set it on my dock high door and then positioned it where I wanted in the shop. $1000.

I used MEI for delivery of my 18X40 Hwacheon (6500lbs) Very professional, on time, fully outfitted, and made sure I was happy. Not cheap. Removed the lathe from the truck, set it on my dock high door and then positioned it where I wanted in the shop. $1000.

For that price, did they collect it at the seller's location and bring it to you? Or is that price only for lifting it off the truck that brought the lathe to you and then placing it where you wanted?

Removing from the truck and into the shop. Two men, forklift, fully equipped, probably about 4 hrs all said and done. I checked a couple of different riggers in the area and all priced about the same. MEI sent a rep to my location a few days before to check out the job and quote. They seemed the most professional and not some good ole boys with a fork lift. Damaging my new lathe off the truck or dock, with maybe or not sketchy insurance was NOT an option. Shipping from Ca. (arranged thru seller/dealer, not associated with MEI) was another $1000.

You might do well to schedule a curtainside flatbed truck and the riggers (herding those cats could be a feat in itself) on the same day/time window.

That would get what you want essentially. I wouldn't ship a machine I cared about in a dry van or anywhere it crossed thru a freight terminal. Or on an open flatbed no matter even if fully crated.

Any recommendations for a freight forwarder to collect machine in Texas and bring to Wisconsin? The machine can be loaded onto a flatbed or trailer only. Only side loading available with forklift. No loading dock available.

This is 100% better with no loading dock. Loading a machine out of the parking lot is a choice I'd make 100x over having to load it off a loading dock.

First glaring reason is the semi trailer also has to bear the load of my 12,000 lb forklift (8k capacity) plus whatever its carrying, could easily total 16k. The truck is built for this and doesn't complain but it does deflect the suspension and get you into strange angles where suddenly going down and then going back up and everything is creaking like mad.

Second reason is that anything wider than about 94" won't fit thru the door of a dry van and it requires things to be turned 90 degrees but my load capacity goes way down due to having the machine's CG farther out from the forklift mast. I have 84" forks for this purpose but not everyone has that kind of length.

Back