What's new
What's new

Telehandler fork shaft / bar / pin material?

kb0thn

Stainless
Hi Guys,

I have a telehandler that has a bent fork shaft. The big 'ol pin the forks slide side to side on. It's 2-1/4" diameter by 76" long.

Part is available from the OEM at a high price. Like multiple times the cost of a stressproof bar. And from 3rd party places (Arrow) for also expensive. And I suspect it is just plain A-36 or 1018.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Jim

Not hard to calculate the bending stress with max load and the forks in least favorable position on the rod....before you decide Stressproof is good enough. A lot of steel companies sell better than stressproof, 4150HT TGP or something similar.

Lifting gear is always expensive ,supposedly because of the responsibility the manufacturer assumes,but more likely ,because they can charge for it...........I suspect the bar is a medium carbon steel in a spring temper,and yes ,I ve seen plenty of them bent ,and straightened plenty too......best to do a crack test/diecheck after straightening.

I did some calling and the company that manufacturers the OEM part said it is just 1045 steel.

Buying it through their distribution versus the OEM's distribution makes it a $246.00 + $117.60 shipping part instead the OEM's $727.16 + ? shipping part.

My steel supplier quoted $233.25 for a 20' stick of 1045 with free shipping. I think I can cut it to length and drill two holes and get 13 feet of "free" steel.

You can get 1045,but is it heat treated?.....not normally......you may be much better getting a piece of 4140 HT,as I suspect the price will be similar.....My Hyster has a similar slide bar ,with the usual complement of bends ,and someday,I will remove it ,and straighten it in a press.....But not today.

Back