What's new
What's new

Thoughts/review of 24' No Ramp hydraulic lowering trailer after ~1 year of ownership

MrGoods

Plastic
First time poster, really long time lurker here... it seems that no matter how obscure my current project is there's a relevant thread on these forums. In this case I was procrastinating on finishing up my pre-winter service on my No Ramp 24U trailer and decided to see if I could find reviews/discussion about it and sure enough two threads popped up from these very forums. See here and here. It's been a few years since anyone's discussed it but I figured I'd share my experience with it and address a few things that were brought up in the other threads.

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about (and don't want to comb through the old threads) a No Ramp trailer it's a heavy duty equipment trailer that has cantilevered axles that swing down (in a kneeling motion) so that the bed of the trailer can sit on the ground, it can reduce the incline to 3 degrees for loading/unloading. It's great for material handling equipment/scissor lifts, in my case I buy and sell forklifts quite a bit for my business but also deal in a myriad of other equipment. I'd been searching for a suitable trailer for quite a while before I was introduced to the No Ramp by a company I work with frequently and realized it was perfect for what I need, and perfect for what they need as well (they regularly need to haul a scissor lift) so we decided to split the rather prohibitive expense and bought our No Ramp 24U (24' triple axle with a 15k max payload) and it's been working out great. We both use the trailer frequently but are also fairly flexible so we haven't stepped on each other toes, and it really helped make the cost far more palatable... with options we were over $15k, splitting that made it hurt far less.

It's hard to guestimate miles we've put on the trailer but I can say it's been easily over 60k, likely close to or over 100k and so far it's been the best non-semi trailer I've used or even heard about... it's not perfect, I do have some nit-picks I'll get to, but overall it's a REALLY heavy duty trailer. It seems like most trailers are built with a really tight margin in-mind so corners are cut whenever possible, and while there's some of that here it's generally the opposite... the deck is thicker, the beams are closer together, the brakes/axles are overkill. Before I gush too much I'll share my dislikes.

Dislikes:
  • Surface rust! Already!! We didn't opt for there super special coating, I guess that may have rectified the issue, but there's rust shoiwng through on much of the deck. While cosmetics rarely bother me when it comes to equipment this does...
  • Wiring could've been done far better. They used the standard heat-shrink butt connectors, but didn't protect them enough (considering the enviroment an equipment trailer works in)... dirt would get into the connectors or cheap sleeving and cause lighting issues. I ended up pulling the deck and re-doing the connection with liquid electrical tape and higher quality sleeving/protection. I had to replace whole wire-runs in several spots. It didn't functionally hurt the trailer, but the frequent flickering side-markers drove me nuts in my mirror
  • The wireless remote for rasing/lowering was a nice idea but the system they use (or used, maybe it changed) is far too cheap.. it's short range, sub-15 feet, and the fob is fragile/prone to dying. I ended up sourcing a higher quality wireless remote system and swapping it out.
  • It came with load range E tires when it should've come with range F or G. This was a recent issue I noticed, I honestly never read the tire sticker on the neck (since trailer tires are generally aired to the sidewall PSI, I figured they put the right tires on so I replaced like with like)... I spoke to them about this and it's not a safety issue since I never get near the max capacity but I would've at least liked to start replacing with F or G tires... they're working with me on this so I suspect it'll be a non-issue soon.

• This trailer is AWESOME... there's nothing else out there like it. It's been the single greatest ROI equipment purchase I've ever made for my business. It simplified logistics and made it far easier for me to jump on a potential deal immediately. If I stumble across someone looking to offload a machine tool/forklift/industrial compressor or they get in touch with me I have far more bargaining power/ability to go after that deal.
  • The remote raising/lowering makes you a rock-star at auctions/sales/with customers... I get real, pure joy out of it.
  • Despite the length and triple axles it's surprisingly easy to maneuver, I haul it with a Savana 3500 6.6L Duramax van and have 3 exterior cameras to aid in visibility (cargo vans are astoundingly hard to see out of...) but generally it tracks the way I want and given the fact that it weighs over 5k lbs empty it's rock solid even without a load. On the van I do have a couple suspension upgrades that certainly help with the towing, like 4-leaf full tapered rear springs (12,500lb rated) and air-bag helper springs/load levelers. The front is also raised 2" and stiffened but even then it's a very stable trailer.

I guess my bottom line is it's an awesome trailer, not without some faults but certainly several steps above the large majority of trailers I see nowadays. We're currently shopping for a second No Ramp that's shorter and possibly with the enclosure option, so far the 24' has paid for itself so it would make sense to expand on that. If anybody has any questions I'm all ears... I'll take a few pictures when I get to the shop tomorrow (more so to show how it works, I know that came up in the old thread several times).

I haul it with a Savana 3500 6.6L Duramax van and have 3 exterior cameras to aid in visibility (cargo vans are astoundingly hard to see out of...) but generally it tracks the way I want and given the fact that it weighs over 5k lbs empty it's rock solid even without a load. On the van I do have a couple suspension upgrades that certainly help with the towing, like 4-leaf full tapered rear springs (12,500lb rated) and air-bag helper springs/load levelers. The front is also raised 2" and stiffened but even then it's a very stable trailer.

Thanks for ALL of that!

I'm aware that is "not your average van", but even so, I'd want a Dodge/Cummins dually or one of the next-best Ford, then Jimmie, competitors instead, (yes Doug, gooseneck or mini-fifth-wheel rig..) so it was a really clear post for a daft bugger to write!

:)

On a trailer of that capacity, and being a flatbed (so the loading can end up
being not perfect) I would rather see it in a gooseneck config.

Thanks for ALL of that!

I'm aware that is "not your average van", but even so, I'd want a Dodge/Cummins dually or one of the next-best Ford, then Jimmie, competitors instead, so it was a really clear post for a daft bugger to write!

It's a habit I picked up thanks to the relative obscurity and more recent introduction of the 2.8L Duramax... but I see that it can come across as daft (I'd use a different word that I don't think I'm allowed to use here). I prefer the van over a pickup simply because of the enclosed rear space, it's where I keep my free candy :D - but seriously it's really nice to be able to sleep on a queen size mattress when on the road, I've even traveled with my 50" TV for nighttime entertainment. I also have a Kodiak stake side (with a CAT 3208... now there's an engine worth bragging about!) that I use for heavier loads but generally I prefer the far better ride and fuel economy the van provides. I'm currently in the market for a 5.9 Ram 3500 Mega Cab dually to use as our second tow rig (remove the bed and either go with a dedicated tow setup or flat bed with a gooseneck)... I'm fairly brand agnostic but I am a big fan of having lots of room!

I prefer the van over a pickup simply because of the enclosed rear space, .
- but seriously it's really nice to be able to sleep on a queen size mattress when on the road, I've even traveled with my 50" TV for nighttime entertainment.

We could spend a week swapping tales out of our own version of Doc Guevara's "Motorcycle Diaries", I am sure.

But all that the early-days lifestyle did for ME was drive me to know where to find really affordable motels and hotels, pensiones, albergo, gasthaus, and riyokan some fifty countries! Big rig, I will have pulled-up satellite shots to know the top three with large carparks, decent security, and easy in-out each stop, and in advance, too.

If I had to put such serious coin into a rig, then sleep rough? Sod the BED. I want safe, clean and with good food, clean toilets, HOT SHOWER, and space to change to clean clothes at each day's end! DONE with living out of an "Alice" pack, washing up out of an army-helmet... or a rice-bowl (two bowls is better, yah can get the water. DAMHIKT).

I'd be money and comfort both, better-off to hire a load hauled and stay in me own damned bed, kitchen, fuel, maintenance, inch-hoorance, wore-out-tired NOT, and equipment amortization budgets.

We digress...

Damned nice trailer if you have to have to.

Thanks again for the "in use" update.

On a trailer of that capacity, and being a flatbed (so the loading can end up
being not perfect) I would rather see it in a gooseneck config.

I agree the gooseneck would certainly be a far better all around option, unfortunately our two tow vehicles are the van and a stake bed truck so it wasn't an option. It's also why I upgraded to the heavier duty springs and airbags, it makes tongue weight far less of a concern. I've never been within 5k lbs of the trailer capacity while towing with the van but even at 14-15k lbs I had no issue (if I'm over 10k and hauling any appreciable distance I'll hit the scales and make sure I'm balanced and adjust as needed). But I agree if gooseneck is an option for your situation, it's the way to go... makes maneuvering far easier too!

We could spend a week swapping tales out of our own version of Doc Guevara's "Motorcycle Diaries", I am sure.

But all that the early-days lifestyle did for ME was drive me to know where to find really affordable motels and hotels, pensiones, gasthaus, and riyokan some fifty countries!

If I had to put such serious coin into a rig, then sleep rough?

I'd be money and comfort both, better-off to hire a load hauled and stay in me own damned bed, kitchen, fuel, maintenance, inch-hoorance, wore-out-tired NOT, and equipment amortization budgets.

I don't spend a tremendous amount of time on the road doing long-haul runs... maybe once a month I'll go further then 1 state away. And while I absolutely agree I prefer a Hilton property over the back of a cargo van sometimes I just want to stop for a few hours sleep... pulling into a truck stop, inflating and making the bed and firing up the TV takes far less time and is comfortable enough for me to get the rest I need. I work with a local machine mover/heavy haul company and frequently use them for most of my moves but I really don't mind handling the small stuff as time permits and motivation persists. I have a contract driver that I can call in should I lack either of those things... but I generally enjoy some time on the road. Since I'm my own boss it also means I can detour as desired to see friends or check out a new place. I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. I spend far more time flying then I do driving (I source equipment for customers and chase leads all over the country), but at least when I fly I can end usually end up back home at the end of the day.

I have a close friend that just got into OTR trucking despite my warnings/cautions (some folks think it's similar to road-tripping... I tell them to get on the interstate, get behind a semi truck and follow it for 6-13 hours... that's OTR trucking) and 6 months in he seems to enjoy it but I have to imagine that will wear off, or maybe he's cut out for the nomadic lifestyle.

.. got into OTR trucking despite my warnings/cautions (some folks think it's similar to road-tripping... I tell them to get on the interstate, get behind a semi truck and follow it for 6-13 hours... that's OTR trucking) and 6 months in he seems to enjoy it but I have to imagine that will wear off, or maybe he's cut out for the nomadic lifestyle.

Yah. Closer to slave-at-large than "nomadic lifestyle", what with depending on big-carrier dispatcher or gypsy brokers and your own paltry network for finding the next revenue load.

Slave to long roads and short schedules, OTR is.

Ever praying you'll at least get the juices and tires paid-for, if not also a few bucks towards maintenance and amortization on the rig.

Hard work. Not fun. Person can make a go of that and still grin at new sights not before seen, good on 'em!

Mostly you have to keep eyes and attention inside such a critical zone, you'd outright miss bright blue trees, bare-nekked wimmin', or coral pink grass more than forty feet off the right-of-way.

"Sightseeing" is constantly updating your next move if the asshole in the clapped-out Honda as won't leave your side for several miles, adjacent lane is going to fall asleep - again - or lose the crappy tire you can see is past its roll-by date.

Not a lot of fun to it, high population, ever-dumber drivers, and decaying road-net the USA has these days.

Those "bionic eyes" I had installed were purpose optimized for night flying and high-density city light glare control, so mostly I'm in that motel daylight hours and doing the tougher stretches of wheeling after "civilian" be-to-home hours on out 'til dawn and a bit.

I have that luxury. The roads of 27 countries, Chinese/ US/ Europe side of the road or Japanese / UK / downunder side of the road - plus down the middle (US & Netherlands) or wherever the pavement is best (Appalachia and Poland), keep them guessing (Italy, New York), run your ass OFF the road (West Virginia, Andorra), or who even gives a shit (France and Maryland) and all US States save South Dakota confirmed the method.

He may not have that option at all.

:(

Very good review post!

I too was all pissed off when I realized that the "build to order" gooseneck that I had bought new came with underated tires. When hauling at weight - I would stop and let them cool off regularly in the summer. I was glad to have finally replaced them all with F's (?) now. Actually - I think that one of the originals is still on it, but with a tri-axle, I'm not too worried about it now.

With 80K smiles in one year, I just struggle to understand how neither (I before e?) of you felt that you could justify the purchase on your own? At that rate, amount of use is more an issue to cost for ownership than simply age. (setting 99% of the time) Knowing how well partnerships werk, it would seem that keeping detailed log of miles dragged and splitting costs along those lines would seem to keep hard feelings at bay in the future. Sort of along the lines of "Fences make good neighbors". (I before e?)

I REALLY like my goose! I never want to even be in a veehickle dragging a bumper pull of any weight aggin, especially on winter roads! 20 yrs ago the kewl kids on the block all had 6 place enclosed snowmachine trailers. Sometimes drug by a dually, but more often a 'Burban. .. and of course they were the first to bitch about bad roads when chasing snow. :rolleyes5: No thank you! I will drive separate - thanks anyhow... I don't see hardly any of those out there on the roads anymore. ???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

[*]It came with load range E tires when it should've come with range F or G...

Before you order up new tires, also take a look at the weight capacity of the wheels themselves. It will be stamped on the rim. If they're not up to the capacity of F or G, you'll need to change them out too. If you end up doing that, you'll also need to look at the number of lugs on those wheels -- and whether you'll need to substitute new hubs with the proper number of lugs for that capacity. Next is axles... it never ends.

Often best to buy whole new axle assemblies with hubs, wheels and tires. Perhaps from the mfg, and beat them up on the price for under-equipping your trailer. Perhaps as a condition of sale for the next one.

Before you order up new tires, also take a look at the weight capacity of the wheels themselves. It will be stamped on the rim. If they're not up to the capacity of F or G, you'll need to change them out too. If you end up doing that, you'll also need to look at the number of lugs on those wheels -- and whether you'll need to substitute new hubs with the proper number of lugs for that capacity. Next is axles... it never ends.

Often best to buy whole new axle assemblies with hubs, wheels and tires. Perhaps from the mfg, and beat them up on the price for under-equipping your trailer. Perhaps as a condition of sale for the next one.

The axles are all correct (8 lug 7000lb) as are the wheels (they had me verify the wheels when I called about the tires), the working theory as that during assembly someone simply grabbed the wrong tires (they're pre-mounted, they use the same rim for both and it's rated correctly)... I believe they use or used load range E tires on the U-19 which runs the same axles and that may be what happened. I only ever had 1 blow out and that was due to road debris, but like I said I rarely have a load on that's in the same ballpark as the capacity. I've got 4 of the taskmaster load range F tires on the way, I'll start rotating them in as the range E tires wear down. What's even more surprising is that DOT/weigh stations never caught it. With my mileage guestimation I'm not even upset with how long they lasted...

Very good review post!

I too was all pissed off when I realized that the "build to order" gooseneck that I had bought new came with underated tires. When hauling at weight - I would stop and let them cool off regularly in the summer. I was glad to have finally replaced them all with F's (?) now. Actually - I think that one of the originals is still on it, but with a tri-axle, I'm not too worried about it now.

Wait you have the gooseneck No Ramp and it came with E range tires as well? Were they the Power King Roadmax (I think that's the name... or similar). I spoke to my dealer who said that he reached out to No Ramp and was told it should be F or higher... BUT I want to tread carefully here since there's a solid chance this thread will be highly ranked on Google for folks looking for reviews on this trailer. I heard that second hand from a salesman at my local equipment dealer, I want to reach out to No Ramp directly on monday... I think there's a possibility that I'm not understanding what the tire sticker on the trailer is indicating... I can't seem to find a straight answer through Google but there's a part of me that thinks that the "at 95psi" load rating may be a baseline/consistent marker to compare between different trailer tires with different load ratings. If that makes sense, basically trailer tire inflation can be dependent on load and isn't standardized or even trailer specific (thought I always run at max PSI, it's theoretically not necessary... right?). So the weight rating at 95PSI is what that tire would be able to hold if inflated to 95psi but the tire manufacturer lists 80psi as the max because running a higher pressure will run the risk of premature failure. This is a total shot in the dark, I know a substantial amount about automotive tires but my understandings of trailer tires is lacking...

I'll reach out directly and find out. I don't know that they're running range F or G, I assumed that was the standard tire based on info I had. I will be swapping out to range F as my other tires wear down or sooner... I'll see what I think of my first few weeks/month with these Taskmaster's. I'm intrigued by there non-conventional tread pattern (seriously what happened to everyone copying that old Goodyear tread pattern... that was the trend for decades!), the super economical price ($85 locally, even cheaper if you have a commerical/direct account, not by a ton but still not bad) and the speed rating... a trailer tire with a speed rating is new and different.

With 80K smiles in one year, I just struggle to understand how neither (I before e?) of you felt that you could justify the purchase on your own? At that rate, amount of use is more an issue to cost for ownership than simply age. (setting 99% of the time) Knowing how well partnerships werk, it would seem that keeping detailed log of miles dragged and splitting costs along those lines would seem to keep hard feelings at bay in the future. Sort of along the lines of "Fences make good neighbors". (I before e?)

I REALLY like my goose! I never want to even be in a vehicle dragging a bumper pull of any weight aggin, especially on winter roads! 20 yrs ago the kewl kids on the block all had 6 place enclosed snowmachine trailers. Sometimes drug by a dually, but more often a 'Burban. .. and of course they were the first to bitch about bad roads when chasing snow. :rolleyes5: No thank you! I will drive separate - thanks anyhow... I don't see hardly any of those out there on the roads anymore. ???

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Didn't see the rest of your post, so I'll reply to the other part here (my bad... I was caught up on the tire thing haha). To be honest I think I overestimated mileage and I also was off on my ownership by almost a full year (doh!)... let's say 50k ish miles and 2 years to be conservative. I'm typically very hesitant to partner on things like this, especially when they're vital to my business, but I've had a personal relationship with the other owner since childhood, and a business relationship for much of my adult life (both as my own company and with my father's company)... we've worked together on projects that had far bigger stakes. We also agreed to take a good chunk of time beforehand and write a plain english "contract" (while not legally binding, it was to make sure we were on the same page and had something to reference in the event of a dispute in the future) that outlined what each side was expected to provide both financially and in terms of availability/maintenance. It's also worth noting that we have an equipment dealer very local that rents out the U-19 (Mcallister/Mich Cat, if you're in Michigan/Indiana these dealers/rental stores are ubiquitous) in the event of an overlap we do have that as an option though it's exceedingly rare that that's necessary.

If my company was at the same point back when we decided to go in together it would likely be a different story... but in all honesty we've had so few issues so far that we're both in agreement that now that we're looking at getting a second one it makes sense to come to a similar agreement as we both benefit from having the added capability and we really don't step on each others toes... it's worth noting we also both have other trailers that can fill in for small jobs (where it might be marginally easier to use the no-ramp using a traditional equipment trailer isn't that big of a deal).

Once I nail down my new tow rig (looking at late 00s Ram Mega Cab 3500 duallys, thinking I'll go with bed removal and likely a flatbed with gooseneck... not certain yet) I'll have to seriously think about selling my stake in the other trailers (we agreed to buy each other out should our use cases/needs change) and put that toward a gooseneck. We'll see how the end of the year pans out for me.

Random question for you, have you had any issues with the lock mechanism binding up on you? Today's project is going to be to tear into mine and see what the issue is, just curious if you've had any issues. If you ever find yourself up my way let me know, first beers on me (two if you have your trailer with you... I'd like to check out the gooseneck in-person :D)

I agree the gooseneck would certainly be a far better all around option, unfortunately our two tow vehicles are the van and a stake bed truck so it wasn't an option. It's also why I upgraded to the heavier duty springs and airbags, it makes tongue weight far less of a concern. I've never been within 5k lbs of the trailer capacity while towing with the van but even at 14-15k lbs I had no issue (if I'm over 10k and hauling any appreciable distance I'll hit the scales and make sure I'm balanced and adjust as needed). But I agree if gooseneck is an option for your situation, it's the way to go... makes maneuvering far easier too!

I see, that's good to know.
Keeping it under the capacity.

Many people will load something to the limit (or over) and get by with
a bumper pull, load equalizing hitch, steering dampers etc.

And have no problems doing 80 mph down the freeway....:crazy:

Those are the people that have caused the DOT to go nutz with regulations,
requiring a CDL, big fines, etc. for simply hauling a couple of horses
or a skid loader for yourself.

The axles are all correct (8 lug 7000lb) as are the wheels (they had me verify the wheels when I called about the tires), the working theory as that during assembly someone simply grabbed the wrong tires (they're pre-mounted, they use the same rim for both and it's rated correctly)... I believe they use or used load range E tires on the U-19 which runs the same axles and that may be what happened. I only ever had 1 blow out and that was due to road debris, but like I said I rarely have a load on that's in the same ballpark as the capacity. I've got 4 of the taskmaster load range F tires on the way, I'll start rotating them in as the range E tires wear down. What's even more surprising is that DOT/weigh stations never caught it. With my mileage guestimation I'm not even upset with how long they lasted...

Been seeing new trailers built with 19.5 tires, skinny for fender clearance,
and load range IIRC 4500 lbs.

Sometimes drug by a dually, but more often a 'Burban. .

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I saw a Burban equipped with duals, and the glue on fenders.
Stuck out in my area for sure.

Found out on another board, these are sort of common down Texas way....yikes.

OK, for starters, no - I doo not have the same trailer. Mine is a 30' goose with twin "pop-up" doves on the back. I really like them, although they need some werk and so I have left them down for the last many years. But generally - I don't need the last 5 (?) feet of deck , so.... It's nice to have the extra bed if dealing with many small items, but I usually have few heavy items, so I haven't fixed the doves yet... :o

I am able to drive my forktruck(s) up on it as long as I have good traction ramps, and it's best to block the back corners of the trailer, but I don't doo it often. My forktruck is 13,500#.

I doo have trippple 7's under it tho, and like you, mine came in with grossly underated tarrs on it! :mad5:
It had 60# D's on it that were rated for 2440# I think (just looked at 10 minutes ago). Well, a 7K axle needs 3500 single min! But what doo you doo? You have 6 tarrs that hold air and have tread. Doo you toss them out to go buy 6 new tarrs when you just sprung for the whole trailer? Really pissed me off! And then after hearing that you had same issue (different manufacturer I ass_u_me) then I cannot imagine EVER buying a 'nother new trailer w/o looking and even spec'ing the tarrs ever aggin!

I just looked, and while I told the tarr dealer that I wanted F's, he came back at me with a set of E Carlisles that are rated for 3640# single @ 80#, and my wheels are only rated for 80# anyhow... I checked all over, even called GoodYear and others directly - trying to find a USA tire for my trailer, only to be told time and aggin that they doo not exist. So - I have these "seem pretty nice" Carlisle's on it now. The originals lasted 20 yrs tho. But mine sits a LOT more than yours! BUT, like you - I am able to ask how high when I need to jump. It's not been a huge deal recently, but it did make a difference back when I got it. I doo use it to shuttle machinery between shop and wherhouse regularly tho. Many times well overloaded, but it's only 1/2 mile, and only yards on public roadway, so ...

As for the truck, I loved my old '99 Cummins with the 5 speed, but would have prefered the 6 speed for that extra split on that occasional day when top gear was just too much. But now I bought this juice tranny, and I hate it! I seldom drag the trailer, but I have been at a stop sign with 1/2 load on (?) and barely been able to pull away on an uphill slope. My granny gear would have not fussed much at all with 2/3 the power.

I could have dropped down to 4low, but the fancy assed gear selector switch (we're just culturally beyond having to pull levers these days I guess) is not able to jump up to high range while rolling slowly, so I would have had to run 4low to the top of the hill. It did finally start rolling, but I wish I had my oars back!

On the other hand, we haul skids and whatnot on the deck 95% of the time, and for that - it werks fine I guess. But my wife rowed through the gears on the old truck more than I did, and now that I got this juicer, she doesn't run it much anymore. :willy_nilly:

This is a trip to Colorado a year ago.
My wife apparently couldn't git it all in the view box of the camera?
Prolly had her smart phone in the upright position... :rolleyes5:
Maybe someone can come up with an app to explain the diff between Portrait and Landscape?

2006%20Truck%20with%20Trailer%20in%20Colorado_zpse95k7vbl.jpg

You can see my doves in the up position in this pic:

TruckGooseneck.jpg

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I saw a Burban equipped with duals, and the glue on fenders.
Stuck out in my area for sure.

Found out on another board, these are sort of common down Texas way....yikes.

Yeah, I always drooled over the one in "Twister" (?).
I had one stop in here just about a year ago to buy some chemicals that I had for sale.
I took a pic, but I don't think that I ever loaded it to the host yet.

Pretty kewl, but the fender flares starting on the second doors seems really cheesy, and a turn-off.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back