What's new
What's new

Towing: drawbar load rating . Tongue rating . Class 3 or Class 4?

Spud

Diamond
I am renting a JLG triple L drop deck trailer.
Trailer weighs about 2800 lbs. Uses a 2" 5/16 Ball.

The mill I am transporting weighs 4300lbs.
Using a Silverado 2500HD diesel 4x4 crewcab, rated for 13000lbs towing.

Looking at various Trailer Ball specs , there are 2" 5/16 balls rated for 6000lbs. I don't know if this is the tongue weight rating and if it is more than adequate. There are higher rated ones also. What load rating should I get? Do I need a ball rated for more than the weight of the trailer + load ?

What will the tongue weight be for a 4300 lb machine + 2800lb trailer?

What class of drawbar do I need, Class 3? Class 4?
My truck's receiver hitch takes a 2.5" square drawbar.

Thanks

Your 2.5 inch truck receiver is class V. Personally I wouldn't buy anything that isn't class V, then you have a proper sized ball mount for any bumper pull trailer you will ever pull. However in your case (if you have the factory 2" reducer) you could buy a class IV with a 2-5/16 ball. I wouldn't under any circumstances buy a 2-5/16 ball rated less than 10,000lbs, preferable more. Tongue weight will be 9-15% of trailer gross which is based on where you place the load. So in this case I'd want close to 1,000 lbs on the hitch. In other words you want to see the bed squat when the load is placed on the trailer.

Personally I use a B&W ball mount similar to this. Its pricey but really handy.
Attention Required! | Cloudflare

About trailer classes
Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring

Always buy hitch hardware rated for the same or more as your receiver. No weak links in the chain.

I too use the B&W ball mount above. You'll always have the right thing... (except a pintle hitch, and an equalizer hitch).

We only use B&W 2-5/16" balls on all our trucks. 30,000 rating.
Just like in the other postings here go with the largest components available for your particular vehicle.
Get the best trailer brake controller you can, safety first.

We only use B&W 2-5/16" balls on all our trucks. 30,000 rating.
Just like in the other postings here go with the largest components available for your particular vehicle.
Get the best trailer brake controller you can, safety first.

Its a rental trailer so it will have surge breaks. However you will need a 7 pin to 4 pin converter for the lights. I have a whole assortment of things I now carry in the truck.

Examples of the items I now carry.
Seven-Way Blade to 4-Way Flat Trailer Adapter
12V Magnetic LED Towing Light Kit
5 Ft. Four-Way Trailer Wiring Connection Kit
This last one makes a good extension cord for short pigtails on trailers.

Its a rental trailer so it will have surge breaks. However you will need a 7 pin to 4 pin converter for the lights. I have a whole assortment of things I now carry in the truck.

Examples of the items I now carry.
Seven-Way Blade to 4-Way Flat Trailer Adapter
12V Magnetic LED Towing Light Kit
5 Ft. Four-Way Trailer Wiring Connection Kit
This last one makes a good extension cord for short pigtails on trailers.

I got a 4-way to 7 blade converter from NAPA.

My hitch receiver takes a Class V ball mount. I am going with a forged Curt 2.5" ball mount.

What's the magnetic towing light kit for, where do you locate that on the trailer?

Back