What's new
What's new

Towmotor advise

IMO:I would pass this by as I'm not aware of flat head Ford 6 engines used in Towmotors, however been away from Towmotor Corp. since 63'.Won't be easy to get parts for either way.

A lift that old and on cushion tires does not seem like a very good buy.

Most of the flat head inline engines I have seen were Continental or Chrysler.
Flat heads were common in forklifts because they were shorter and fit under the seat better.

$4K will buy a pretty decent truck if you're willing to look for a while. That's not it.

I sold a towmotor like that one for $800...

Have a 4k one on the farm. Continental engine, no ROPS, but I think paid $500?

Toyota makes a good forklift.

Often the Toyotas will have a lot of hours (popular in the lease fleets), but if they've been halfway maintained and not abused, the hours don't hurt them.

I've got a a 7GCU25 (5k, cushion tires, legendary 4Y motor) Toyota with over 25,000 hours on it, and she runs and operates just fine!

ToolCat

I have a Toyota here with a 4y, the hourmeter broke at 33000 about 10 years ago. Still going just fine.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Towmotor in question appears to be from the mid-seventies, about the time of the Caterpillar buy-out. It strongly resembles the popular 5,000 lb. unit, but it could be a 6000lb. rating. I have never heard of that vintage lift with any Ford engine, much less a flathead.

At 4 large you can do much better. Even if it runs well and works perfectly for now, is the almost 70 year old engine supported? What else may be waiting to finish it off? $500 max and be looking for a replacement from day 1.

Back