What's new
What's new

Trailer coupler

mf205i

Cast Iron
I am modifying a trailer, 2 inch ball, 7000lb gross, so that it will have a removable tongue. The owner purchased a Chinese copy of a stamped sheet metal Reese coupler. I hate those Reese couplers, the ones that inevitably you will need to finger to make sure the shoe is properly located. I told him that he needs to reconsider his choice. He said that my favorites are not available anymore. I have noticed that the sliding sleeve Bull Dog couplers are becoming popular, but I have never used one. So, are the Bull Dog couplers good? What kind of couplers do you folks prefer? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Most of the commercial trailers I have used have had either the sliding sleeve couplers, or a ring and pintle hook arrangement. I like the sliding sleeve couplers, I've never had any issues with them over thousands of miles with loads in the 3-8 ton range. If Sunbelt thinks they are good enough for continuous use heavy commercial trailers being rented to construction type users, I think they are good enough for anything I care to throw at them.

I like the Bulldog sliding sleeve coupler. My car trailer has the Reese type on it, it is ok if you are paying attention when you connect to make sure the shoe is under the ball. I used to work at a place that had a company owned trailer with a Reese coupler. the driver of this rig was a dumbass and managed to loose the trailer twice.

I like the Bulldog sliding sleeve coupler. My car trailer has the Reese type on it, it is ok if you are paying attention when you connect to make sure the shoe is under the ball. I used to work at a place that had a company owned trailer with a Reese coupler. the driver of this rig was a dumbass and managed to loose the trailer twice.

Could be the driver got cornfused between 2" and 1 7/8" is easy to do....:crazy:

Yup, have a few trailers with the "bad" style, sticking your finger under there (to get the *&^%$#@! flipper out and away) while holding the trailer up off the ball can prove fatal to your finger....

Looking at the UK trailer suppliers, I see very much different styles, they look like they might be a wee bit better.
I would like to hear
some comments from our UK members how they like like/dislike these:
https://www.iwt.co.uk/iwt-parts/download/4285

I put a lunette ring on my little 6x12 landscape trailer. It is so much faster and easier to couple by yourself without aids (no backup camera on my truck.) It does flop around more and makes a lot of racket if you are off road, worth it to me.

I’ve been using the Bulldog sliding sleeve couplers for years. Best ball hitch IMO. They are also about the only ones that build a decent trailer jack.

To all that replied, I thank you. I sent him off for a Bulldog, but we shall see.
Thanks again, Mike

The DO35 coupling by Cruisemaster is becoming very popular in Australia and is also being exported overseas. It is rated at 3.5t and is also available in 4.5t (DO45)
This you tube video shows the advantages of this type of coupling - YouTube

It is now my favorite coupling after years of using 50mm(2 inch) tow balls and couplings.

DO35 (2).jpg
DO35 2.jpg
DO35 3.jpg

I am modifying a trailer, 2 inch ball, 7000lb gross, so that it will have a removable tongue. The owner purchased a Chinese copy of a stamped sheet metal Reese coupler. I hate those Reese couplers, the ones that inevitably you will need to finger to make sure the shoe is properly located. I told him that he needs to reconsider his choice. He said that my favorites are not available anymore. I have noticed that the sliding sleeve Bull Dog couplers are becoming popular, but I have never used one. So, are the Bull Dog couplers good? What kind of couplers do you folks prefer? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Aren't those 2" hitch balls only rated at 5000lbs? not the 7000 gross you are using?
id change the trailer/ball to 2 5/16"

and yes I don't like the stamped steel ones, I always change it to the cast coupler, I have a bulldog, they are much nicer

The DO35 coupling by Cruisemaster is becoming very popular in Australia and is also being exported overseas. It is rated at 3.5t and is also available in 4.5t (DO45)
This you tube video shows the advantages of this type of coupling - YouTube

It is now my favorite coupling after years of using 50mm(2 inch) tow balls and couplings.

View attachment 279363
View attachment 279364
View attachment 279365

What a great way to keep other people from borrowing your trailer!

I am going to build a set up so I can trouble shoot my trailer light without having to hook it up to a vehicle. The only problem I have is what can be incorperated to protect the power source from a dead short?

Back