Trailer coupler
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Trailer coupler

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Trailer coupler

I am modifying a trailer, 2 inch ball, 7000lb gross, so that it will have a removable tongue. The owner purchased a Chinese copy of a stamped sheet metal Reese coupler. I hate those Reese couplers, the ones that inevitably you will need to finger to make sure the shoe is properly located. I told him that he needs to reconsider his choice. He said that my favorites are not available anymore. I have noticed that the sliding sleeve Bull Dog couplers are becoming popular, but I have never used one. So, are the Bull Dog couplers good? What kind of couplers do you folks prefer? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the commercial trailers I have used have had either the sliding sleeve couplers, or a ring and pintle hook arrangement. I like the sliding sleeve couplers, I've never had any issues with them over thousands of miles with loads in the 3-8 ton range. If Sunbelt thinks they are good enough for continuous use heavy commercial trailers being rented to construction type users, I think they are good enough for anything I care to throw at them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the Bulldog sliding sleeve coupler. My car trailer has the Reese type on it, it is ok if you are paying attention when you connect to make sure the shoe is under the ball. I used to work at a place that had a company owned trailer with a Reese coupler. the driver of this rig was a dumbass and managed to loose the trailer twice.

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I like the Bulldog sliding sleeve coupler. My car trailer has the Reese type on it, it is ok if you are paying attention when you connect to make sure the shoe is under the ball. I used to work at a place that had a company owned trailer with a Reese coupler. the driver of this rig was a dumbass and managed to loose the trailer twice.
    Could be the driver got cornfused between 2" and 1 7/8" is easy to do....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, have a few trailers with the "bad" style, sticking your finger under there (to get the *&^%$#@! flipper out and away) while holding the trailer up off the ball can prove fatal to your finger....

Looking at the UK trailer suppliers, I see very much different styles, they look like they might be a wee bit better.
    I would like to hear
    some comments from our UK members how they like like/dislike these:
    https://www.iwt.co.uk/iwt-parts/download/4285

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put a lunette ring on my little 6x12 landscape trailer. It is so much faster and easier to couple by yourself without aids (no backup camera on my truck.) It does flop around more and makes a lot of racket if you are off road, worth it to me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve been using the Bulldog sliding sleeve couplers for years. Best ball hitch IMO. They are also about the only ones that build a decent trailer jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bulldogs are strong and secure but frequently require a hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using one from Curt that is cast steel. Trailer is a 6K Felling Tilt. No complaints so far, and not as fussy as the finger-eaters. (Note that I always check things before the coupler gets near the ball.)

CURT 2 5/16in. Channel-Mount Coupler with Easy-Lock, Model# 25328 | Northern Tool + Equipment

I would trust Bulldog, too. Lunette is too rattly for my liking.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are the German made Ringfeder couplings available in the US......they do make small ones ,but possibly a bit pricey for the utility trailer market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Yup, have a few trailers with the "bad" style, sticking your finger under there (to get the *&^%$#@! flipper out and away) while holding the trailer up off the ball can prove fatal to your finger....

Looking at the UK trailer suppliers, I see very much different styles, they look like they might be a wee bit better.
    I would like to hear
    some comments from our UK members how they like like/dislike these:
    https://www.iwt.co.uk/iwt-parts/download/4285
    I have a Winterhoff hitch,I like it. As you lower the hitch onto the ball it clicks on and a red button pops up so that you know you are on the ball. You then push a lever down which brings the stabiliser pads,into contact with the ball. Never had a snake yet.

13. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To all that replied, I thank you. I sent him off for a Bulldog, but we shall see.
    Thanks again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The DO35 coupling by Cruisemaster is becoming very popular in Australia and is also being exported overseas. It is rated at 3.5t and is also available in 4.5t (DO45)
    This you tube video shows the advantages of this type of coupling - YouTube

It is now my favorite coupling after years of using 50mm(2 inch) tow balls and couplings.

do35-2-.jpg
    do35-2.jpg
    do35-3.jpg

16. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mf205i View Post
    I am modifying a trailer, 2 inch ball, 7000lb gross, so that it will have a removable tongue. The owner purchased a Chinese copy of a stamped sheet metal Reese coupler. I hate those Reese couplers, the ones that inevitably you will need to finger to make sure the shoe is properly located. I told him that he needs to reconsider his choice. He said that my favorites are not available anymore. I have noticed that the sliding sleeve Bull Dog couplers are becoming popular, but I have never used one. So, are the Bull Dog couplers good? What kind of couplers do you folks prefer? Any and all opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

Aren't those 2" hitch balls only rated at 5000lbs? not the 7000 gross you are using?
    id change the trailer/ball to 2 5/16"

and yes I don't like the stamped steel ones, I always change it to the cast coupler, I have a bulldog, they are much nicer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LexD View Post
    The DO35 coupling by Cruisemaster is becoming very popular in Australia and is also being exported overseas. It is rated at 3.5t and is also available in 4.5t (DO45)
    This you tube video shows the advantages of this type of coupling - YouTube

It is now my favorite coupling after years of using 50mm(2 inch) tow balls and couplings.

do35-2-.jpg
    do35-2.jpg
    do35-3.jpg
    What a great way to keep other people from borrowing your trailer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BT Fabrication View Post
    Aren't those 2" hitch balls only rated at 5000lbs? not the 7000 gross you are using?
    id change the trailer/ball to 2 5/16"
    2" balls can be had in 10,000 lbs rating. I own several that are in the 7-8k lbs range, would have to go look to see what all they are. They have larger threaded shanks.

Link to etrailer 10k ball:
    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

20. Likes digger doug liked this post