Transporting Press Brakes - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    When I hire big trucks for long haul, I use a freight broker. They are more likely to stick to their quotes- as in, every time I have used one.
    I have rented flatbeds for local use, not long haul- although, since I have a neighbor down the road now with a 20' bed truck with an articulated crane on it, and a 40' trailer as well, I use him.
    Do they show up on time?

My experience has been if I don't personally know the owner operator then they could give a shit about timeliness unless they are a tow company or farmer.

Really sucks when you have a lot of stuff to load and there's no truck. All the calls you can make to the freight broker make no difference.

I used to do custom very high end auto work and the auto transport companies were all a joke. I remember one guy who waited like 2 months for some joke of a transport co to get their shit together and show up. They rescheduled a dozen times and when they finally showed up it was 11 PM on a Sunday and they never called until they were in my parking lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never used a freight broker before. I am guessing they will shop your load around with a bunch of companies they know for you?

Most of the people I know who have big flatbeds or 20k+ lb trailers are either too busy, or make too much money to move stuff on the side as a favor. I have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a gooseneck with tandem duals. There has been a handful of times it would have been nice to have in the last year.

As far as timelines is concerened unless you want to pay premium prices, then the truck will surely be hauling other loads on the way to you I figure. Stuff happens, and the trucks end up sitting waiting on people or breakdowns. I always try to factor in a buffer so it wont kill me if someone is late.

I just bought a plate roll a few weeks ago off a guy who had no forklift that could load it, and was on the other side of the country. I rented a forklift over the phone for 24hrs dropped off at his place, and set the 24hr to start around 2hrs after the truck said he would be there. Well that was a tuesday afternoon, and the truck broke down and got there thursday instead. It was a friend of a friend and they said to knock off some money for having to rent the lift longer. It is stressful to me not being able to be in control of your load. For time reasons, but also for the care of the equipment. I worry when you buy something that someone else is crating up, and another someone is hauling, then if it shows up damaged no one will take responsibility and it basically falls on you to eat it.

Oh and fwiw I kept the price that we agreed upon for that load of concrete forms. Wether they liked it or not. They screwed up trying to hustle me after* my cargo was off loaded and in my yard haha. I paid them what we agreed on, and won't use them again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ship a bunch of loads, I only use a freight broker as a last resort. I have 3 different shipping companies that I normally use. Sure, they usually cost more than going through a broker, but it is money well spent. 9 times out of 10 the broker will lie to you. When I use one of my trusted trucking companies I know I will get decent equipment, the truck will be there when they say it will, the driver has a clue about hauling machinery and knows how to tie it down, and it will arrive when they say it will. Sometimes there are problems due to breakdowns and such, but they will at least communicate with you and let you know what is going on. Brokers will just lie to you.

What brokers will do is quote you a price and say they can make your appointment before they even have somebody to haul it. Then after they make a deal with you they will post the load and try to get some poor sap to haul it for a cheap price. If all the stars line up correctly, they will find somebody in the area that can make the appointment and is willing to haul it for their cheap price. They are sitting there telling you they can make the appointment (lying) and they don't even have a truck yet.