Ultimate machinery hauling vehicles - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    What was the weight of the slotter? About how big was that truck? Did that truck also carry the slotter? And how far was he setting the slotter from the truck?

There has to be an extra zero on that load capacity.

35tons on that truck would most certainly blow all the tires, and probably shatter the axles and frame. I have a 40 ton truck crane, not only is it dual tandem 14x20's rears(what ever the old unidirectional military tires are), but it's also twin steer at the front. The frame of a class 5 truck and a 35-40 ton truck crane are TOTALLY different, one will be a normal truck frame, the other made out of 1" plate.

I've got an F800 digger derrick truck, it's got pretty typical specs, 11R22.5s 33,000lb GVW. It's load chart says it'll do 17,000lbs at 4'. But getting that close to a load would be next to impossible, so effective capacity is probably only around 10,000lbs. And then not only would 10,000lb load on that make you overloaded, they is no room on the truck for a 10,000lbs machine (going off the size of my 10,000lb machines). The boom on the back of my F800 is rear mounted and stored sticking out over the truck cab, and IIRC I can't even walk underneath boom without ducking. That boom takes up a TON of deck space, I probably 6' of flat deck space on a 15' or 16' bed, grated the hydo tank and tool box take up a bunch of space.

I'll edit in a picture when I have a second.

I don't remember the exact weight, but when I had the truck licensed I had to get the exact empty weight at a certified scale. That truck weights 24,000-25,000 lbs empty.

EDIT: Opening up that PDF shows a load chart, much more reasonable numbers there. Looks like the HIAB XS-111 will do 7280 at about 5', with it being center mounted I doubt that would even get you outside the outriggers.
    Correct. Those knuckle boom specs are full of hocus-pocus at best. All Hydraulic cranes are rated at a theoretical load capacity. The maximums are inside the footprint of the machine, so you can't possibly get that close.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

F350 with a (rented) twin axle hydraulic trailer for moving mills/lathes is my ultimate setup.

img_2564-1-.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was the weight of the slotter? About how big was that truck? Did that truck also carry the slotter? And how far was he setting the slotter from the truck?

There has to be an extra zero on that load capacity.
    Yes there is, I fat fingered it. The slotter is a small machine, about the size of a Bridgeport. I don't have photos of the truck and it was long ago so I don't remember exactly. It was an asian COE with a flatbed with a full width rear step, it looked like it was a former tire truck. The crane was at the back of the bed on one corner. The machine was put down about 8-10 feet from the truck IIRC with no strain, driver said he could go in further if I wanted him to.
    I've got an F800 digger derrick truck,

That truck weights 24,000-25,000 lbs empty.
    That's why knucklebooms are popular, lots of capacity in a compact and fairly light unit. I saw one mounted in an F350SRW in the grocery store parking lot recently. It was dark so I couldn't read the capacity tag, but I saw substantial chains and slings in the bed with it and it looked huge in the F350.

I once had an electric crane in an old (1961) F100 shortbed, about 1000 lbs cap, that was plenty for that truck, had to put an extra leaf in the spring on that side just to carry the crane. But it was awesome for picking up truck parts and engines and such.

If you want to move heavy stuff, a single axle truck won't do. A dually and gooseneck will carry more than a 33K truck will.

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Just a quick google turned up this from Hiab - HIAB XS 111 | Loader Crane | Hiab
    Says 10 tons per meter, I assume that means 1 ton at it's 33 ft. reach. Shows a weight of 2380 lbs and a lifting capacity of 700040 lbs. Seems almost too good to be true, but the ones I've seen in action seemed very capable with little signs of strain. I had a Douglas slotter delivered by a dealer, he parked in my driveway and set the machine inside my door with the crane. My heavy equipment mechanic lifts all sorts of heavy items onto his F800 that already has a loaded utility body on it.
    Must be a typo, must 7,000 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I'm the resident bridge law buzz killer. With the axle loading formulas used in the US, and a 13.5' height restriction, the knuckle boom trucks just don't make sense.

It's typically cheaper and easier to just use a 5 axles truck and trailer with a separate forklift.

Maybe our bridge laws will change someday to be more like Europe, or a few of the odd states like Michigan.

7. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    Correct. Those knuckle boom specs are full of hocus-pocus at best. All Hydraulic cranes are rated at a theoretical load capacity. The maximums are inside the footprint of the machine, so you can't possibly get that close.
    I wouldn't say that, the videos of the big ones working inside a building with low head room or reaching through a door or window look pretty neat.

But it seems to me that they are gonna be at a disadvantage working at a large radius or tall heights. Eventually that heavy rigid boom is gonna be working against you.

And it's not just these knuckle-booms that start the chart at ridiculous radii, seems like they all do it. The truck cranes and RT's start at 10', boom trucks start at around 8'.

My P&H starts at 20', and even that's probably a little tight when it come to actually making a lift. The older cranes seem to start the charts at more reasonable numbers.

I think we need to standardize the machine to be moved for this "ultimate machinery hauling vehicle". Big difference moving Bridgeports or 120" VTLs.

For me, I think my dream set up would be a tri-axle oilfield rig up truck with an old school folding neck 50ton lowboy. If I ever get into class 8 trucks, it'll probably be with something like that, not like I could afford nice iron, so probably end up with beat up old oilfeild trash.

PM was down for me yesterday, but as promised, pictures of the P&H and F800.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0530161601.jpg   0604161217.jpg  

9. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we need to standardize the machine to be moved for this "ultimate machinery hauling vehicle". Big difference moving Bridgeports or 120" VTLs.
    I was thinking of novel and usefull self contained designs, like the Ruthmann or that little remote controlled Palfinger that stores away under a truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't say that, the videos of the big ones working inside a building with low head room or reaching through a door or window look pretty neat.

But it seems to me that they are gonna be at a disadvantage working at a large radius or tall heights. Eventually that heavy rigid boom is gonna be working against you.

And it's not just these knuckle-booms that start the chart at ridiculous radii, seems like they all do it. The truck cranes and RT's start at 10', boom trucks start at around 8'.

My P&H starts at 20', and even that's probably a little tight when it come to actually making a lift. The older cranes seem to start the charts at more reasonable numbers.

For me, I think my dream set up would be a tri-axle oilfield rig up truck with an old school folding neck 50ton lowboy. If I ever get into class 8 trucks, it'll probably be with something like that, not like I could afford nice iron, so probably end up with beat up old oilfeild trash.

PM was down for me yesterday, but as promised, pictures of the P&H and F800.
    Does the P&H have power down on the hoist lines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does the P&H have power down on the hoist lines?
    Yes it does.

In order to move the Poor and Helpless to the shop, I have to strip the boom and drive in down the road for a little bit.

Got the boom all broken down, went to lower the heel into the transport cradle so I could lower the gantry. Boom up, swing over, no problem, but no boom down. It had been sitting for probably six months before stripping the boom down, so the frictions were sticking and not letting me boom down.

Threw the main hook block, and a couple of balls on the boom heel to try and overcome the sticky clutch (that's worked before), but she wasn't having any of it.

So right now the crane is sitting with the boom heel at 45 degrees until I have a chance to mess with it again.

Friction cranes are cool, but man they can be a pain in the butt and very temperamental.

The picture upload deal here is being a real turd, not sure why it's acting up so badly, but it's very annoying. Won't let me up load another picture from the computer. And don't have all my pictures on my phone.

Having to email myself pictures and upload via tapatalk on my phone, talk about stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well here is my take on haulers now days,10-15 years ago would have used my 61 Autocar gin pole truck and lowboy.But this Corvair has enough GVW to be useful 4700. Realy shines when load has wheels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb-heavy-10-002.jpg  

14. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it does.

In order to move the Poor and Helpless to the shop, I have to strip the boom and drive in down the road for a little bit.

Got the boom all broken down, went to lower the heel into the transport cradle so I could lower the gantry. Boom up, swing over, no problem, but no boom down. It had been sitting for probably six months before stripping the boom down, so the frictions were sticking and not letting me boom down.

Threw the main hook block, and a couple of balls on the boom heel to try and overcome the sticky clutch (that's worked before), but she wasn't having any of it.

So right now the crane is sitting with the boom heel at 45 degrees until I have a chance to mess with it again.

Friction cranes are cool, but man they can be a pain in the butt and very temperamental.

The picture upload deal here is being a real turd, not sure why it's acting up so badly, but it's very annoying. Won't let me up load another picture from the computer. And don't have all my pictures on my phone.

Having to email myself pictures and upload via tapatalk on my phone, talk about stupid.

Well Kingfish, you IS got a problem there aintcha? I don't remember if that model has a live boom or not. If not, try loosening the boom brake band a bit. Spray with brake parts cleaner, then try to power down. If a live boom support the heel with another crane ( maybe your utility boom truck) , loosen the brake band and lower it down. Clean everything. Cover the draw works when not in use. Be careful with the boom. That is P&H Tube Lite boom, supposedly not field serviceable and no longer supported as far as I know. Expensive as hell when it was, I do know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Kingfish, you IS got a problem there aintcha? I don't remember if that model has a live boom or not. If not, try loosening the boom brake band a bit. Spray with brake parts cleaner, then try to power down. If a live boom support the heel with another crane ( maybe your utility boom truck) , loosen the brake band and lower it down. Clean everything. Cover the draw works when not in use. Be careful with the boom. That is P&H Tube Lite boom, supposedly not field serviceable and no longer supported as far as I know. Expensive as hell when it was, I do know.
    I'm not too worried about it. Either slacking the brake, or booming down with the engine off and clutch in to bypass the power boom down (which I think is the problem).

It's not a machine I really like to work on by myself and have stuff that needs to get done before I mess with the crane.

I've got a bunch of extra boom. I think a total of 150' or so, and a 30' jib. I do need some boom work, got a few bent bracing tubes on the heel. But I'm not gonna be lifting more than 50% of chart if that, and these booms were over built to begin with, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

If I ever get motivated to fix it, I'll find a code welder with a truck that would be up to welding T-1 in the feild (little bit of the manual I have says that's what the boom is made out of). And maybe cannibalizing a spare boom section I have to fix the heel.

But for the light duty I'll be using this crane for I'm not too worried about it.