What's new
What's new

Unloading Fadal 4020 - Question / Help

mirage98

Plastic
I just found out on Friday that my "new to me" Fadal 4020A will be delivered on Monday morning. Luckily I was able to arrange an adequately rated forklift to be available. The only item I'm trying to juggle before Monday morning is what size steel tubing do I need to be able to fork it off the truck.

Does someone know the dimensions of the square slots in the casting?

Thanks!

Typical are solid steel bars...

231788d1530284900-help-fadal-3016-unloading-img_2199.jpg

My VMC-15 has heavy box tubes that run the length of the Y-axis, just put the forks in those pockets. I'm sure they eventually eliminated those as a big cost savings.

An issue is the electrical panel in the back. It cheats you about 12-16" out from the forklift mast which means you are closer to the ragged edge.

Those machines are purported to weigh 10k, I hope you have a 12.5 or larger on the way to you. As pictured, riggers seem to run with 15-15.5s that handle a lot of stuff. This is a place where you can get in trouble having decreasing load center as you go down toward the ground. Eg it works fine at the trailer-height but the counterbalance is working against you as the mast lowers. Having a 2nd forklift to "spot", improving counterweight with whatever "heavy steel" you have in the shop, or blocking the lower mast channels tightly, so if you do tilt forward unexpectedly, the load center shifts from the centerline of the front tire to about 12" forward of that right on the mast itself. Good thing to keep in your mind in case you get out on the cliff so to speak.

Picture stolen from this thread:
Help Fadal 3016 unloading

Sorry I missed this when it was happening.... I always use a pair of 1-1/4" square stock slid through the base. I saw a rigger use round, but you have to make sure both are on the outside edges of the pocket.

When taking off the semi, I pick from behind the machine. I'll lift from the front when it's close to the ground.

Hope it when well for you.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Back