What's new
What's new

used 4wd conventional forklifts. ..whos who?

IAMATT

Stainless
Looking at a 10K minimum lift and a 4wd. I see a ton of 4400lb and 6000lb but rarely an 8000lb lift. Who else makes 4wd forklifts besides these guys?

Load lifter
Manitou
Hyster
Case

I don't think I've ever seen one.

Have you considered a end loader? We have a John Deere 444E articulating loader (made by Hitachi) with a set of forks. It can pick up at least 8000 lbs. I moved a Mazak Slant Turn 15 and a Mori Seiki SL-20 with no problem.

4 wd

Looking at a 10K minimum lift and a 4wd. I see a ton of 4400lb and 6000lb but rarely an 8000lb lift. Who else makes 4wd forklifts besides these guys?

Load lifter
Manitou
Hyster
Case

You might try Sellick-they were in the mid west but I think Canada now?

Only really interested in a conventional not a articulating or telehandler style. They are too hard on a gravel parking lot. We have a 9000lb lift with 9 foot forks. Problem is with the weight of tje forks the forklift floats around 6000lbs of load. Ideally a 15000 lift with those forks would be welcomed.

I've got a small case W-11 payloader, it's just about the greatest thing off road. 4WD, articulated, and at only 11k lbs, it's portable.

The way front end loaders are rated is that the working size of the bucket is about half of the tipping weight.

The way these guys are designed is to have their rear ends come off the ground before the hydraulics can't life. They do this so that when they are loading dirt or rock, they get some weight on the front axle to get a bigger bite.

Depends on how big you want to go, but to have a working cap of 10k, you'd want about about a 3-4 yard machine. But a smaller machine can still lift 10k.

Only classification where I think forklifts win over payloaders is compactness. You also have much bigger tires on a payloader so more floatation.

JCB 950

Forklifts also win over payloaders for stabilty. Have a load on the forks at near max and then turn tight and the payloader is very prone to rolling over as the counterweight just moved closer to the pivot.

I have a telehandler I use thats rated to 7k lbs but have picked up closer to 12k with it with no problem, not moving it very far or very fast but still capable. Only real issue with it is its size.

"Payloader" is a trade mark of Frank G. Hough co which introduced it in 1939-40. Only the last models were articulated, way behind Cat and Deere. Their articulated models were like the Case POSs with the cab on the front half. Even Case finally wised up and corrected this in the late 80s- early 90s. Not all front end loaders are Payloaders. Even fewer articulated front end loaders are Payloaders. There hasn't been a "Payloader" manufactured since 1982.
A front end loader is a piss poor fork lift. It raises it's load in an arc that is quite a ways ahead of the front axle which means that it must weigh more than a machine which by a mast, raises its load vertically. In addition most are 4 wheel drive which means that a substantial weight must be maintained on the rear wheels for traction, increasing the gross weight of the machine.
Get a purpose built machine and the job will go easier and you will be happier.

"Payloader" is a trade mark of Frank G. Hough co which introduced it in 1939-40. Only the last models were articulated, way behind Cat and Deere.

The first Cat loaders, 922, 944 and 966 were all rigid frame rear steer machines. Cat only beat Hough to an articulated loader by a year although by that stage Hough had been bought by International. Scoopmobile was the first company to build a production articulated loader, although it was an inherently unstable design as the articulated joint also swiveled and made the machine prone to lie over and have a nap, much like those mini articulated loaders of today.

But as you noted, loaders for their weight do not lift much, my old 922 weighs 8800kg but with forklift forks on it, will only lift about 3200kg before the rear wheels lift.

Here it is lifting a G&L 25 borer from the quickhitch, pretty much all it will do.

20151008_091144.jpg

I watched in horror as a vendor was loading a company truck with steel using a front end loader. He could not see or feel the load as it was crushing the pallet and box gate. That made me a firm believer that a dirt work machine like a loader should rarely if ever do fine work like you would do with a forklift. I have been following a couple of 12K lifts on machinery trader. Hoping to swing it this year. I do appreciate the mfgs names. Load king makes a very nice lift!

More talking out of turn, but you won't get your backwards tractor in places like this.

Junk equipment and a "POS Case" I know, but I was snaking stuff though that building with literally about an inch to spare, and on ground that was basically mud.

It's hard to take good pictures and work at the same time, so sorry about the subpar angles.

uploadfromtaptalk1448939531432.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448939540912.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448939581882.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448939591546.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448939600258.jpg

This was a real tight machine when I got it about a year and a half ago. But I've used it literally every time I've been at the farm, it's always running, I've put a lot of hours on this machine. She needs some maintenance before she really starts to show her age. Blew a bucket curl hose moving all this stuff.

Last edited:
Making good use of older metal is always a good thing. I found a 15000lb 4wd forklift with 120" forks. I am set...if everything goes well this week. The only thing I don't like is the Perkins diesel.

Back