What's new
What's new

web straps

I have some of each eye type, in nylon 1-ply 2" and nylon 2-ply 1". For almost all jobs, it doesn't make much difference. I did select twisted eye type for use with a shop-make spreader because the straps ran from the spreader to the load with 1/4 less twist. But the flat eye would also have worked.

The main reason for a twist is so the eye will remain open. With a open eye it's just easier and quicker to thread a hook or shackle though the eye.

I prefer flat myself, because it's easier to weave though narrow places.

Is there any practical difference between a flat eye and twisted eye?
The only thing I can think of, is it might be easer to put more straps on a hook.

Dave

I think I understand what your asking.
I can't use the twisted hook on my trailer, as they won't pass between the rub rail and the trailer bed.

Yeah, the flat eye was easier to snake thru, but sometimes it looked like more stress on the stitches when over forks. I always used straps that were rated way over what I was lifting though.

Dave

Yeah, the flat eye was easier to snake thru, but sometimes it looked like more stress on the stitches when over forks. I always used straps that were rated way over what I was lifting though.

Dave
It is not supposed to ever be over forks.It is to be over radiused surfaces, never an angle like a fork. If you must then you place "softeners" over the angle to reduce the sharpness. Also reduce the capacity over acute angles.

If you are opening an eye enough to slide it over a fork that is asking for trouble.

Back