What's new
What's new

Well, that went off the rails pretty quickly

Looks to me like that rail car was built to say 'You cannot unload this with a forklift'

Funny assuming no one was standing on the other side of the rail car. Can be hard to see something moving straight at you and you have to cover a lot of ground fast

Watched them replace some rails here a few years ago, near enough a 1/4 mile long and a machine that slid them off the end and set them. Funny springy noise those things make when they are moving the rail cars that carry them

Well, for starters, they could have disconnected those %$##@! buzzers so that someone could hear and be heard!
I fully believe that those things create more hazard than they help in many cases.

Then they should have had the masts all tilted back a BUNCH!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
That is so much stupid. Safety, destroyed equipment.

Does the fact it was filmed elude to them having some idea it was incredibly stupid?

Then they should have had the masts all tilted back a BUNCH!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

They didn't account at all for the short grade the front tires were on initially when they were close to the tracks. As they backed off, they needed to at least match the tilt lost by the lifts/masts, but yeah, a touch more would have been safer.

Another case of innocent forklifts giving their lives due to bad process management. And a railcar (literally) is collateral damage. Oh, the steelmanity!...

Had that been on concrete, they may have been fine, but the added trq that it takes to drive those wheels on a looser substrate will rotate the machine fwd.

I see no reason that having them tilted all the way back would have hurt anything?
The load wasn't higher than the mast was it?
(I'll go back and look)

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
My take is that the bundle of rails wasn't really well secured (only seemed to have a few straps holding it together?), and maybe there was fear that a significant tip back would stress the straps too much?

For sure, more courage then brains on that op.

That is so much stupid. Safety, destroyed equipment.

Does the fact it was filmed elude to them having some idea it was incredibly stupid?

That's the routine in our shop. If something sketchy is about to go down, SOMEONE has to call the Youtube so we can become famous.

Life goes bad sometimes.
And there are so many who say so much stuff about it afterwards feeling proud or all knowing.
I make mistakes and I get it when my crew does.
Yes it sucks donkey dick and I get all mad and crazy do not talk to me but one should cut some slack.
Bob

The railcar looked brand spanking new.....and went it went tits up, the underside looked just as clean....:skep:

Multiple time a year we need to offload bundles of 12' bars that are loaded in bundles in box trailers. Usually between 1-4k pounds at a time.

Inevitably, the driver wants us to drag these out halfway and come around the side to grab them with the forklift. It's always sketchy as hell and there have been close calls.

It is now a rule that we just open the bundles and have 3 guys muscle these out of the trailer.

It takes half the time and you get a little workout without the gym membership.

I thought it was pretty legit until the camera panned out and you could see them trying to coordinate backing the thing down a sharp (albeit short) grade.

Then again, the convicts that used to drive forklifts in the lumber yards I worked in as a kid could have easily handled it. I regularly watched them load three units of plywood on the forks, get going across the lot, tap the brakes and drive 50-100 feet balanced on the front two wheels. 'Course when you mess up, its a hell of a deck of cards that shoots across the lot.

I agree with Ox. Boom back and change the center of gravity. Do that as soon as forks purchase the load. Signal man motioned to back up. Did not make BOOM BACK motion. Operators may or may not have known the difference.

If the layers were separated with timbers, the fork lifts could have taken one layer at a time....But NOOOO they want to speed up production.

Back