What's new
What's new

What is the best way to rig and secure a cylindrical grinder?

oliverdude

Hot Rolled
I've never been around them much, but I'm wanting to go look at one. I don't have a manual for it. It's a fairly small one at 8,000 Lbs. Could someone explain how it should be lifted and the proper way to secure it to a trailer, without damaging anything. It will have about a 250 mi. ride on the trailer if I get it. Do they tend to be heaviest toward the front?
Thanks

They tend to be sort of t shaped, wider at the front due to the table travel. Usually the left side is somewhat heavier due to the workhead. If it weighs that much it likely has a separate coolant tank with pump and filter. I would crank the wheelhead to the front and lock the slides. Usually more stable than an engine lathe but awkward shape. Some have a separate hydraulic unit too.

Under 4 ton is no problem.....if its old,it probably has no provision to lift with a crane........if its got holes in the castings for lifting bars,no worries.Ive lifted up to 8ton universal grinders.(16x72) Landis........with slings around the rounded overhangs on the bed and wheelhead casting..........You need the slings set carefully,and held in position as the strain comes on,so that you dont move the table..........Once on the truck,they are solid as a rock,due to the wide stable base........A 4 ton 12x24 would be a easy lift for a forklift with long tines....Be mindful of greasy iron slipping on the steel tines if you have to carry the machine far to load.

Be sure to drain the oil and coolant out of it or the separate hyd. tank. Have you asked the owner if they have a manual? As most machine manuals have lifting instruction on the first few pages. If you are lifting with a crane look for the holes in the casting as the others have said. If you are lifting with a fork truck put on your extensions and block with wood and come in from the front of the forklift so the wood blocks hit the front base so you don't bend the hand wheels. Then chain it on. Hopefully you have a 12,000 pound fork lift.

As far as on the truck, I would put chains (with binders) though the lifting holes and extending out toward the end of trailer or truck so it won't slide forward or back. Then run 2 or 3" wide nylon straps over the table and headstocks to secure them to the base. Many times if the trailer floor is wood and steel, I would surround the base with 2 x 6's nailed with spikes. If the trailer is steel set it on wood so it doesn't slide.

If you are GREEN (new to rigging or trucking) then I would hire a professional machinery mover to lift and load the machine. Also I recommend calling Long Haul Trucking to haul my machines. Good luck and better safe then sorry. Rich

If you have a fender trailer you will need some way to crane it on each end. With a deck over placing with a forklift is no problem. The problem with any pick-up sized trailer will be spreading the load enough. I would suggest enough 4 x 6 timbers to put one on each trailer stringer, leaving just enough room for the forks. Take some screws or nails to fasten the timbers to the floor so they don't work out as the trailer flexes. Typically a grinder this size will have 3 point support to the floor.

If the toe of the base is flared out, a chain over the toe on each end will be adequate. Add a couple of straps to secure the table. Remove all the loose parts and shields.

If your trailer has a low deck and wheel arches,then you can simply build up the deck height with pallets until you are clear of the wheels.A pallet is good for 2 ton,so a machine across two stacks will be good....This allows easy forklift access for on and off....Double check for loose bits that might fall off on the road.

Careful with palate build up, you DO NOT want a high center of gravity, Especially on a machine north of 5 tons. No offense it is a good idea but not for this lift and transport.

Ive shifted machines weighing ten times that using stacks of pallets.I have more than 50 years experience as a truck and crane driver,machinist,dealer ,and scrapyard operator....But,pallets aint just pallets.........theres one time use softwood pallets good for nothing ,and good hardwood pallets that are solid as a rock.A good hardwood pallet will weight 120lb.+, any less is junk.

Back