What's new
What's new

What's going on with this trailer?

maynah

Stainless
I'm looking at used trailers and am not sure what is going on with this one.
It seems unusual there are no braces going from the outside of the front of the bed up to the tongue.
What used to be on the front of the bed where the two mounting points are?
Could this be a home made trailer?
I haven't looked at yet and am not sure I will, but was hoping someone would recognize it.
It looks to be pretty rugged.

Attachments

• 00L0L_1iYaes3ZvUS_1200x900.jpg
    00L0L_1iYaes3ZvUS_1200x900.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 499
The tongue of the trailer extends into the main frame so it doesn't need the A frame. But is doesn't look like a camper trailer build but the side wings make it took like it is.

The circle parts on each side looks like it hauls dumpsters but who knows.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Built from truck frame rails. The wheels are way back so it would probably tow reasonably straight. If it's legally tagged it should have a serial number near the tongue (most states, anyway).

I looks like it could have been a flatbed truck bed, see those rollers ?

Like a rollback, for the oil patch.

By God cappy you found a strange one.

I wouldn't haul a basket of clams from Damiscotta to Brunswick with that thing if you paid me in short lobsters.

Not a DOT type of trailer regulation for sure chummy

If anyone got hurt hauling with it you could end up in the slammer for the Winter

Get the latest copy of Uncle Henry's and scope out some more to look at

Ayuh

Thanks for the answers, I thought as much.
Pathogen, Me and Mother was coming home from the bean-hole bean supper down at the VFW, (I had Chop Suey), and I saw this trailer next to the puckerbrush behind a barn. I’d a stopped for a looksee but was right out straight back at work. And I’ll tell you Mister Man, from all the comments, I need to find something that some Dub didn’t throw together. Jeezum Crow, I don’t need all those headaches.
Thanks for all the wisdom here.

I don't know what that thing is, other than something to throw in the scrap pile. Way too much tongue weight to be useful. I wouldn't take the time to pull it home if somebody gave it to me.

I don't know what that thing is, other than something to throw in the scrap pile. Way too much tongue weight to be useful.

Prolly get something similar as to tongue weight if yah salvaged the Freuhauf frame out from under a late 1940's Air Products A1 or A2 Liquid Oxygen plant.

OTOH, it wasn't meant to go onto a pintle hook.

The 100,000 lbs rated axle of "Dolly, Semi-trailer converter", fifth wheel atop was what had the tongue and lunette for a pintle-hook!

M123A1 Charlie the preferred prime-mover. Tandem axle rigs wouldn't fit under a field-mobile LOX or Acetylene plant's fifth-wheel, directly. Some civilian paved-road addict had designed them, not the Army.

:)

Thats probably 3 to 5 truck frames. It looks like the tongue and stringers are also pieces of truck frame. I'd guess that dates to the '50's or '60's.

It would be a good trailer to haul logs from your back 40 up to the house once or twice a year, but not a good trailer for a public road.

Thats probably 3 to 5 truck frames. It looks like the tongue and stringers are also pieces of truck frame. I'd guess that dates to the '50's or '60's.

It would be a good trailer to haul logs from your back 40 up to the house once or twice a year, but not a good trailer for a public road.

Yeah.. if we tried to haul the gas plants with an ignorant 5T LWB, we'd put 90 cylinders of O2 or Acetylene in the bed so the wheels didn't spin.

This rig would be right at home, unimproved road, hung off a farm tractor's drawbar - cleated tires about six feet tall. Or a 'dozer. Tongue weight a plus.

Wouldn't want it even empty attached to a pickup.

I made a trailer once, and the paperwork wasn't too bad.
8 weeks of waiting from the DOT, but not too bad.

As I wasn't sure where to put the axle (front to back) I made the leaf springs
and axle assembly as a sub-assembly made from to pieces of angle iron, and
some pipe cross members underneath (to hold the width)

I can slide it and pin it where it's best.

Back