What's new
What's new

When did Caterpillar begin putting serial numbers on forklift masts?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Situation is that I’m trying to ensure I have the correct seal kit for the lift cylinder on my TC-100D 10,000 lb. cap. Truck. The cylinder OD is about 5”, the rod diameter is about 4”, and a supplier (not going to name them) sent me a seal kit with all of the many pieces being 2 5/8” diameter. Since I don’t have the cylinder open (still on truck) I have no way of verifying these are the correct seals (part no. TSA/CT 0923282.). A supplier says he needs mast serial number to verify seal kit applicability. I couldn’t find a serial number on the mast. The manual shows the locations of all other important numbers in a diagram, even that of the location of optional sideshift assembly, but has no reference to a mast serial number. My theory is that Cat only began serial numbering the masts in maybe 1990’s? The supplier has my Cat model no. And truck serial no. but insists there’s a mast number. And/or a cylinder number, but I didn’t find that either.

Each component make up the total machine package so each component will always have a serial number. That particular lift could be ordered with many different mast and cylinder configurations so there will always be a stamped serial number on it somewhere..you'll have to take flashlight and scraper in hand and go "detective".

Stuart

Each component make up the total machine package so each component will always have a serial number. That particular lift could be ordered with many different mast and cylinder configurations so there will always be a stamped serial number on it somewhere..you'll have to take flashlight and scraper in hand and go "detective".

Stuart

Thanks, found it with a dark room and a strip diode light I got as a freebie from the unmentionable place. Cat put the number on 90 degrees CW from the way I thought it would be. I saw thru the paint that the same number is on the moving part near this number.

Attachments

• 53B17D20-C7A5-4F36-90D8-8369B1748B57.jpg
    53B17D20-C7A5-4F36-90D8-8369B1748B57.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Last edited:
Just as suggestion we have fair amount of OLD hyro equipment in the shop, hence fixing seals on regular basis it seems.
Ya really don't have to get the seals from Cat just call your seal supplier explain your sitiation & he should be able to tell you what to measure and so forth, After that you should have the seals in a day or two probably at a fraction of Cats price, they are just like lego pieces. Always remember Cat, Kamatsu and the others don't give a shit on making / loosing money on a sale, the just want that D10 down in the pit working 24/7 they make there money on parts.

Just as suggestion we have fair amount of OLD hyro equipment in the shop, hence fixing seals on regular basis it seems.
Ya really don't have to get the seals from Cat just call your seal supplier explain your sitiation & he should be able to tell you what to measure and so forth, After that you should have the seals in a day or two probably at a fraction of Cats price, they are just like lego pieces. Always remember Cat, Kamatsu and the others don't give a shit on making / loosing money on a sale, the just want that D10 down in the pit working 24/7 they make there money on parts.

Thanks. The “Forklift Parts” people in SC were very helpful. Looked up the right kit which I ordered for about $50. Plus shipping. To me that kit price seemed very reasonable, don’t care if it only cost them 3 cents. I asked them to verify approx. correct diameter since first kit I got from somebody else contained all 2 5/8” dia. Items, obviously too small for the main lift cylinder which has about 4” rod. They checked and seals in new kit are near 4” so they probably have the correct item.

Glad to help, just when you do the seal job make sure you know how the stack goes in. I find it helpful to place them out in order on the bench. Lastly clean clean and clean, no nicks or dings permitted.
D

One more question: A heavy equipment repairman near here, who was highly recommended by a friend who has used him before, said that sometimes a cylinder leak can be repaired while still on the vehicle. I didn’t press him but imagined that is something you can do by just backing off the big spanner nut on top. Anyone know the details of what he’s talking about? He’s still not able to come onsite for a few weeks due to workload, so if I could just look under the spanner nut and fix the leak I would certainly try. Have a #2V Cincinnati mill arriving soon and the Cat is our only forktruck that can lift it. We can scoot it around with the electric pallet jack’s 8000# capacity but that only lifts maybe 12” or so; much better to have the Cat with its long forks.

Back