Winch bed and gin pole trucks - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found this thread on end bearing design, Irish seems to have some experience. More I look seems like a bar going through and fixed to the tube, or perhaps turned end plugs welded on. Replaceable/repairable bushings are held in carriers attached to the tailboard. The centre of the tube is normally supported by 4 external rollers.

Last edited by Demon73; 01-07-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add link

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Throw this up there cos its the first one ive seen with a machine loaded to the skid. Still like the idea.

https://youtu.be/TQTHEQfg8pA?t=16m33s
    That is a pretty slick setup. My uncle used to work for a place that had something very similar. They were a hazmat cleanup outfit and had roll of dumpster trucks. They also had a flat that went in the place of the dumpster body. They would regularly load a backhoe on the flat and winch it up, just like in the video.

On a side note, I don't know what they have going on in the video securing the machine to the bed. It looks like they have one of those cheap come-a-longs attached to a strap, going around a sheet metal enclosure.

3. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was gona start a new thread but what the hell. Have started work on the D series with regards to getting a decent winch on it, a tailboard roller and probably some sort of gin pole setup.

Its a Superwinch Husky, worm drive winch. Just finished making a mounting plate for it out of 6x6x3/8 angle plate. I wanted it heavy and full width cos I might be adding some sort of headache rack with a wheel setup to pull on the gin poles (will explain more a bit later) and to protect the winch from the steel skid I plan to use.

The view of the back with support plate that bolts to the base.

Mocked up on the truck. Theres gona be 8 x M10 bolts per side that hold it down on the aluminum I beams, still might strap it to the rails tho.

The toy its gona replace, still might have a use for it, perhaps to help drag the skid off.

Any advices from those that knows appreciated

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been in the market for a winch myself in the 10k range. Problem is I want a 120vac. I don't understand why you can buy a 10k dc winch for less than $500 but a ac winch of the same capacity will cost $1,000s. Unless I can find a good deal, I'll just keep doing like I am now, use a 10k dc winch hooked to a battery and battery charger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    I've been in the market for a winch myself in the 10k range. Problem is I want a 120vac. I don't understand why you can buy a 10k dc winch for less than $500 but a ac winch of the same capacity will cost $1,000s. Unless I can find a good deal, I'll just keep doing like I am now, use a 10k dc winch hooked to a battery and battery charger.
    Is funny, same over here, anything thats AC is big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the difference is that a DC winch is a winch. It winches things in a horizontal direction. Most AC "winches" are actually hoists, and are approved for lifting things vertically and have fancy brakes and what not. Most any winch I have seen has a stern warning against lifting things vertically.

The hoists we seen on tow trucks and what not are usually hydraulic, or PTO driven. I have one sitting on the shelf for a future project.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is so much misinformation out there about winches. I've got a 10k dc electric winch and it is spooled with 3/8 cable. One of our trailers has a 8k hyd and it's spooled with 1/2 cable. Also, if you look up the breaking strength of 3/8, it's something like 12,000lb. So if that 10k winch will actually pull 10k, you are right at the limit.

The fact is, I doubt it will actually pull 10k. I wish I had a pull scale large enough to test it. I guess I could find a known 10k object, hang a snatch block up, and see if it would lift it.

I do know anything lifting overhead requires a 5:1 safety factor. Judging by what I've seen, pull winches are nowhere near meeting that. I'd say they are close to 1:1, going by the cable example above.

I've heard that winch manufacturers use some sort of rolling resistance calculation to rate their winches. In other words, a 10k winch will pull a 10k vehicle, rolling, with some sort of rolling resistance figured in (as in mud or some sort of incline). I don't know how true it is but that sounds plausible, given the high rating of seemingly small winches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might have a point on the winch / hoist thing. For the 'equivalent rating' they do seem to come in a lot larger. Makes me think to that the joe blogs winch manufacturers are showing the pull rating in the best light, dragging 10,000lbs up a 1 in 3 is way different to hoisting it in the air. As always, only one way to really know an thats to check it.

I missed out on hydraulic load cell the other day. I like the idea and the numbers are easy enough to work out, the digy stuff goes for mad money over here. Be interesting to see what the Husky will actually do on a single line pull. I do plan on lifting stuff but not much, perhaps 1.5 ton max, is part reason why I went for the worm drive, built in braking, but main priority is to drag skids over a roller. Think just about everything I do will go through a snatch block. Thought id start out with electric as the tuck has no pto etc.

Have to get some pics done to give the gist of what im thinking, be good to have some other views before I jump. BTW, do some of these rigs have pneumatic winches? I swear some o them sound like they have air motors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    I wish I had a pull scale large enough to test it.
    Use a hydraulic cylinder and a pressure gauge.

That's how my hydraulics guys tested this big ass gear and gear box. Well, kinda. They used I think (8) 6" bore cylinders in parallel to develop the resistance required, it was in excess of 1,000,000lbf.

11. Likes gbent, Demon73, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez whats that goin on!? Could just picture that gearbox sticking out the side of mi truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is one of the 3 gear/gearbox/motor combos used raise and lower shallow water drilling platforms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was digging through some old pics and I happened to find one of the gear I mentioned above. Kinda interesting.

20160909_130125.jpg

15. Likes bryan_machine liked this post