What's new
What's new

Winching machine up tilt trailer question

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
It the tilt trailer was of the design below (yellow trailer), I'm wondering if it would work to have an electric winch mounted at the front of the trailer, with the cable going over a pully at the edge of the tilted up section, and then to the machine ? Seems like it might but would require you to lock the tilt in place until there was weight on the end of the trailer. This is a trailer capable of hauling 11,000 lbs and I'm thinking of winching up a CNC lathe that weighs 9,000 lbs.

The other trick would be, what the lathe would slide on... as skates might break thru the wood deck...masonite ? Also the tilt angle may be too steep.

Alternative is a tilt trailer where the entire deck tilts (like black one below)... no winch mount troubles and less steep angle. Downside of that style is, due to axle position they tow terribly with no load. Thoughts ?

tilt-equipment-trailer.jpg

807.jpg

Both trailers are 15K GVW and cost the same.

Neighbor applied his winch to a 2" reciever hitch which he welded at front.
Could remove it and use elsewhere.

I can see easily adding another socket further back, at the front of the
tilting part, eliminating any concerns.

If I get it I plan on doing a little work on it , but the skeleton price is right , if you think you want it go get it , won't hurt my feelings.

Interesting... gooseneck section sure look suspect though... I cracked a gooseneck many years ago..

I was going to suggest (if you purchased a gooseneck instead) of locating the winch up high,
or attaching a snatch block on the top (and run the winch cable straight up) and running the cable
thru that for the tilting jobs.....but you cracked a gooseneck ????

Inquiring minds want to know.

Does the first design allow you to control the angle of descent hydraulically? There's something under the deck that looks like a hydraulic cylinder but its not clear. What happens when the load moves forward on the tilting portion, past the balance point? I'm having trouble visualizing where the pulley at the edge of the tilt section goes without getting in the way.

The second design might tow better when empty if you remove one set of wheels when unloaded. You'd have to experiment to figure out which set. It's pretty quick if you carry a battery-operated ratchet wrench like one of these: Impact-Wrench Comparison: Seven Electric Models Tested - Gearbox - Car and Driver

You should look at a third type of trailer. Look for a sliding deck tilt trailer. Lowers the angle of the deck and lets the axle be placed back more for better empty towing. Probably more money because of the hydraulics involved though.

For a lathe this will probably work OK. Small horizontal CNCs should work too. Most VMCs though, you're sure to tip it over.

.but you cracked a gooseneck ????

Inquiring minds want to know.
It was the below trailer. Decades ago now but as I recall the steel itself split at one of the triangular braces. Welded back, cracked again.... overloaded for it's capacity I guess. No problems with other goosenecks.

cincinnatitrailer.jpg

google image search for 'absetzkippanhänger'

I saw one of these last month that was awesome. It had telescoping and compound tipping swing arms. If wishes were fishes I would have one.

Trailer like this.

absetz-anhaenger-schwenk-absetzer-01.jpg

With swing arms like this, but telescoping on the lower section.

22-11-09-Presse_StadtKempten2_komprimiert.jpg

Tires appear to be 5 lug nut passenger car sized.

Over here, we would run lt238-85 r16 8 lug nut load range "E" or higher.

Argh Argh Argh.

I'm also looking at a four horse trailer. There low and have good floor bracing. Figured four horses weigh a lot. Just need to see how wide t is.

Re: the OP's idea of a pulley on the first trailer (the half-bed tilter), I think that's a bad idea. Let's say you tilt the trailer, winch up some heavy stuff, and are going to bring the trailer back to level orientation. As you lower the trailer down, the tension on the cable will relax, requiring you to synchronize lowering the trailer and taking up slack on the winch.

Because in Europe, we lift from above.

Why is that better?

Something to consider is the tilt mechanism. As far as I know, you can get a gravity system where the weight of the load rights the deck. I believe a damper is involved. The other is a hydraulic system that lifts under power.

I would think the power tilt would be much safer. With a power tilt and a good winch, it would be like a mini roll back truck.

I've never used a tilt trailer like this. How would is work for loading something like a tractor without a winch (I don't see one mounted on either)? You would have to drive up the deck, then set the brake and get off to go lower the deck back down. That seems very dangerous. Alternately, you need two people, or some kind of remote control. Either way, many times equipment has pretty terrible brakes, and probably would not stay put.

The gravity system would be a must for loading a wheeled vehicle solo with no winch.

The first one looks even scarier. I can only imagine the carnage if you get the front wheels off the front of the tilt portion while the rest of the vehicle is behind the hinge of the tilt portion.

The roll back truck I hire always uses the winch for everything. It sounds like you are headed that way, but surely those trailers are being sold with no winch and no plans for one. I wonder how well that works.

Why is that better?

There is no inflection point where the element(s) supporting the load suddenly shift, like when you are winching on a teeter-todder.

The lift point is above the center of gravity so there is inherent stability.

The weight doesn't suddenly shift unless you tip the crane, so you've got better control. Also its just way easier and faster. Pick it up, move it, set it down. One lift and done.

Back