What's new
What's new

Would it be safe to move a large radial drill using a Landoll?

Garwood

Diamond
I have avoided moving most presses and radial drills because they're so easy to tip without a crane or very heavy forklift.

Loading is supposed to be no problem, but I don't want to bring in a crane or big forks on my end. I just can't justify the expense for what the machine can earn for me.

So, 25k lbs of 19" x 6' drill on a Landoll and I'd have to tilt the Landoll and drag it off to get it into my shop.

Sounds a bit too puckery for me, but anyone done it?

I'm also hesitant to accept that it can be safely set in the middle of a 102" wide trailer deck with their forklift. They say they can do it, but 25k on the tips of 8' forks better be a monster forklift and I think they only have a 36k.

Radial drills generally have the weight centre just in front of the column......so even with forks as far to the rear of the column as the base allows,generally about 3/4 or more of the weight is on one fork.If you pick one up with a crane ,always secure the sling to the column high up ,so the thing cant fall over in the sling.....I always chain the head to the column too,so if the drill tilts ,the head cant run along to the end of the arm........Big ones ,I remove the head ,to reduce the weight up high.

Ten ton is a big drill,column is going to be pretty high too.Ive moved lots of smaller ones with my 8 ton Hyster ,but they are kinda wobbly,and the fork taking all the load bends somewhat....you have got to be sure the offcentre load isnt going to lock up the carriage on the fork.......Id be taking the head off the arm ,to get the weight down......Even cranes arent foolproof ...the railways here moved a giant Asquith ,supposed to weigh 20 ton,using two 10 ton BHB tractor mobile cranes to lift it out of a rail wagon,as the cranes boomed down to place it on the ground ,one overbalanced,and the drill came down hard on the concrete,breaking or bending the bolts holding the column down to the base.

A 60 ton crane really isnt that expensive to have come out and unload it. A 60 could lift it straight off and down at the edge of the crane would be a close lift. But should be doable. I think your in a location with a lot of crane companys? The last one i hand come out in medford was 160 an hour. Took him 3 hours with rethreading the block, Working the lathe out of the shop And getting him out of the mud. if was picking it up with a forklift i would lift it length wise to get the center as close to the fork mast as posible. chain it to the mast then figure out how to rotate it on the trailer. If set on a piece of plate could probably rotate it with the winch on the trailer.
Just because its sketchy doesnt mean its not doable. On my little jet Total different scale i know. i handt chained the head and when i drove off it shot down the arm scared the snot out of me. The whole pickup jerked. After that everything was chained to itself.

I have avoided moving most presses and radial drills because they're so easy to tip without a crane or very heavy forklift.

Loading is supposed to be no problem, but I don't want to bring in a crane or big forks on my end. I just can't justify the expense for what the machine can earn for me.

So, 25k lbs of 19" x 6' drill on a Landoll and I'd have to tilt the Landoll and drag it off to get it into my shop.

Sounds a bit too puckery for me, but anyone done it?

I'm also hesitant to accept that it can be safely set in the middle of a 102" wide trailer deck with their forklift. They say they can do it, but 25k on the tips of 8' forks better be a monster forklift and I think they only have a 36k.

So what your implying is that you don't want to spend any money on this to get it safely moved from the truck into your shop but you are also willing to waste whatever the purchase price plus trucking was if things go wrong and you convert this radial drill into scrap iron.

The big downside I see with the Landoll is the issue of ground conditions. When you are at close to or over machine capacity, the soil conditions often are a huge factor in load picks going wrong. If you investigate major crane accidents, ground conditions are very often a contributing factor. The problem is that even with soil testing and a ground survey, you can have soft spots that a heavily loaded tire can find. When this happens, the wheel goes down and the load tilts side ways. This is a very bad situation with a radial drill, especially a big one.

I would either spend the money to get it unloaded safely or else just save the time and have it hauled directly to the scrap yard. You end up with less out of pocket money on this endeavor.

A 15 ton fork with a gooseneck crane attachment would handle it safely......I would certainly load it up on a truck with a 15 ton fork.....the fork would handle it OK with a bit if care......I am also extremely allergic to paying crane hire.....these guys charge the same hourly rate as a big excavator,and the crane does nothing 90% of the time ,and maybe uses a few gallons of fuel all day,where as the excavator is working hard and using at least 15 gallon an hour.

This has nothing to do with the OP... but the way that some guys want to reinvent the wheel to move, haul and unload machinery scares the H.. out of me, this stuff will kill, no 2nd chance or a redo, it is top heavy, no good points to lift from and without any experience they go off on the cheap, just don't do it. One slip and you dont have a arm, foot, or a life...My dad came as close as possible to killing me twice, once with a lathe and with a ground power unit...And he knew what he was doing, This stuff is not toys, get the right help and machinery, or pay the price to hire the right guys to do it for you...Phil

So what your implying is that you don't want to spend any money on this to get it safely moved from the truck into your shop but you are also willing to waste whatever the purchase price plus trucking was if things go wrong and you convert this radial drill into scrap iron.

The big downside I see with the Landoll is the issue of ground conditions. When you are at close to or over machine capacity, the soil conditions often are a huge factor in load picks going wrong. If you investigate major crane accidents, ground conditions are very often a contributing factor. The problem is that even with soil testing and a ground survey, you can have soft spots that a heavily loaded tire can find. When this happens, the wheel goes down and the load tilts side ways. This is a very bad situation with a radial drill, especially a big one.

I would either spend the money to get it unloaded safely or else just save the time and have it hauled directly to the scrap yard. You end up with less out of pocket money on this endeavor.

I get a feeling you are thinking a Landoll is something completely different from what I'm talking about.

I have moved many dozens of 20 ton+ CNC's and other stuff with Landoll trailers.

Nobody needs a radial drill anymore. I have a small one, never use it. If I can move it for $500 I'll do it. If not then I will pass. I have no problem not buying stuff. I have enough stuff. Just a creampuff Carlton with a truckload of tooling I can use in my lathes and HBM doesn't come up often.

Nobody needs a radial drill anymore. I have a small one, never use it. If I can move it for $500 I'll do it. If not then I will pass. I have no problem not buying stuff. I have enough stuff. Just a creampuff Carlton with a truckload of tooling I can use in my lathes and HBM doesn't come up often.

Yes... and if her Dad, the retired Admiral, hadn't been such a consumate prick, I might have married that passionate natural redhead that "came up" VERY often... a very long time ago.

Lot of stuff I had no problem "not buying".

:)

HAVE a radial you don't even USE arredy?

Just pass the 'creampuff" on to he who has none and add it to "the one that got away" list of younger wimmin', older whisky, faster cars, bigger fish, 12-point bucks, Amazon day zero stock investments ...... and "creampuff" machine-tool war-stories in the hurt-locker.

Wastes less time, money, grief, and floorspace...

:D

Last edited:
25K lbs for a 6 ft radial arm drill sounds a lot. An " Asquith OD 1 " with a 6ft arm would be a little bit less than half that weight and they weren't a lightweight drill. I've seem some " Made in the USA " radial drills and they are bigger, but twice as heavy ? Along with big slotters I liked moving radial arm drills the least but with the right equipment and overhead lift it can be done safely enough. I've only ever moved them around peoples shops with a forklift and then they had good, even, concrete floors

Regards Tyrone.

I'm in no position to say much about the safety of the trailer, and I'm assuming (yes, I know what that stands for) that you'll call this off if you can't come up with a safe plan.

Probably fails the $500 question, but can you make up a large enough frame/palette that the risk of tip-over on removal is smaller? Would the reverse of removal be a safer way to get it on the trailer than whatever under sized fork truck the seller has in mind?

I can get an oddly large crane in the over priced city of San Francisco for well under $500 including transport time, so I'd assume that's possible in other parts of the country as well.

I'm in no position to say much about the safety of the trailer, and I'm assuming (yes, I know what that stands for) that you'll call this off if you can't come up with a safe plan.

Probably fails the $500 question, but can you make up a large enough frame/palette that the risk of tip-over on removal is smaller? Would the reverse of removal be a safer way to get it on the trailer than whatever under sized fork truck the seller has in mind?

I can get an oddly large crane in the over priced city of San Francisco for well under $500 including transport time, so I'd assume that's possible in other parts of the country as well.

Picking up on the remark as to sound floors.. among your better cranes ARE the "turret" used for "Heavy Goods Vehicle" off-highway recovery.

They, and their operators, EXPECT to NEVER have a proper and sound footing under them at a crash site, are experienced at JF dealing with that as their "normal". Same again any nation's army float-bridge Company's cranes & operators. Except those are only for hire in places like China where they are meant to earn their own rations in between (thankfully!) rare wars.

See Adam Booth's old threads on moving an HBM & large lathes out of his OLD shop and off to the new - or to new owners. He didn't have a lot of space on his property. Even the road in front of the home & shop is somewhat restricted. Turret crane did the needfuls.

25K lbs for a 6 ft radial arm drill sounds a lot. An " Asquith OD 1 " with a 6ft arm would be a little bit less than half that weight and they weren't a lightweight drill. I've seem some " Made in the USA " radial drills and they are bigger, but twice as heavy ? Along with big slotters I liked moving radial arm drills the least but with the right equipment and overhead lift it can be done safely enough. I've only ever moved them around peoples shops with a forklift and then they had good, even, concrete floors

Regards Tyrone.

It has the original 1960's manuals with it and states weight as a tick under 25,000 lbs for a 19" column with 6 ft arm.

She's a big girl.

... with a truckload of tooling I can use in my lathes and HBM doesn't come up often.

Sounds like you're buying the tooling and the machine is worth scrap. If need be treat it as such.

I used to want a radial drill, till I got a taste of the DeVlieg approach. Now I wouldn't want to waste the floor space on a radial drill.

The last crane I brought in here was $1500 for a 60 ton (I think, it was a monster, maybe a 160 ton?) and that was a special deal with Ness Campbell because they left me hanging on another job. I think it would have been around $3500 otherwise.

Regardless I think I'm going to pass on this drill. Radials are neat, but I can do just about anything a big radial can with my HBM and I don't use it all that much either. The manual side of my shop is a lot about personal projects and cash jobs. More want than need kind of stuff.

The more I think on it I feel I'd be much further ahead to dedicate floorspace to a Bullard than a big radial. A lot of manual jobs I run across are a combo of bullard and HBM stuff. Bullard's easy to move.

Back