Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put some weight in the back of the pickup...about 1000lb will be enough.....this will cure many of the problems of towing with an empty vehicle.

2. Likes Peter. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Sounds like truck is ready to go, only question left is what load range tires, I'd recommend load range E. Where are you going in Texas? Note, its still hot down there.

Yeah the tires on my truck are Load Range E. Not sure when exactly I might be heading to Texas, I do have some time to do it. Still considering my options because originally I was just going to rent a stakebed from Enterprise like I usually do but they don't have the F550 or larger trucks in right now and don't know if they are coming in this year. They are either on long term rental or sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Put some weight in the back of the pickup...about 1000lb will be enough.....this will cure many of the problems of towing with an empty vehicle.

My truck's empty weight is 8,040 lbs. The Ezramp trailer weighs 2800 lbs . The Felling trailer weighs 3200 lbs. So either way the load+trailer will weigh more than my truck.

The GCVW (truck+occupants+payload) on my truck is 10,000lbs which is also what my licence plate is rated for. Chevy told me that my truck's towing capacity is 15,580 lbs (trailer + load) .

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're worried about tires, drive at night. It helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Federal motor carriers safety admin regulation ..section 390.3

If your getting a lathe for commercial purposes have a carrier haul it...

Technically a trailer at 10,001 lbs takes a CDL or a combination of 26,001 lbs.....

I believe that there is exemptions for a campers, but don't quote me on that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rented the surge brake pintle hitch one from Sunbelt, far and away the nicest towing trailer I have ever towed. I hauled my Lodge & Shipley power turn on it, 8500lbs and it towed so nice you hardly even knew it was back there. Pintle thumps and bangs? Only in the feeble mind of someone who has never towed with one. I would rent one again in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I rented the surge brake pintle hitch one from Sunbelt, far and away the nicest towing trailer I have ever towed. I hauled my Lodge & Shipley power turn on it, 8500lbs and it towed so nice you hardly even knew it was back there. Pintle thumps and bangs? Only in the feeble mind of someone who has never towed with one. I would rent one again in a heartbeat.
    I towed one once, admittedly it was a military trailer with a 30KW genset mounted to it, that thing thumped and banged away on every bump in the highway, maybe its just a first impressions thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Technically a trailer at 10,001 lbs takes a CDL or a combination of 26,001 lbs.....
    If a home shop and not a business is there different rules like campers and big boats?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    If a home shop and not a business is there different rules like campers and big boats?
    I drove a 38,000 lb bus cross-country once. No CDL required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made multiple trips from Florida to Ohio through the mountains with a double axle drop deck trailer with surge brakes rented from sunbelt, towed by an Excursion. Most of the time the trailer had to near 7000#, if not over. Most of the trips I had to keep checking teh mirrors to make sure the trailer was still back there. No issues. The last trip, I picked up the trailer in Ohio, and it was a ring and pintle hitch. Worst trailer I've ever towed, it fishtailed empty, it fishtailed full, it thumped, banged, jerked, and felt like it was actively trying to pull me off the road. Not a pleasant 1200 miles. After some testing we concluded that on of the axles was crooked, and the free play in the pintle hitch was exacerbating the side tracking into a full fishtail. I like pintle hitches just fine on military or farm gear, but I won't use one on the freeway again. You'd have to be particularly ignorant of your surroundings to not notice or admit that pintle hitches are prone to banging around.

12. Likes dalmatiangirl61, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The green trailer with electric brakes looks like to me it has 17.5 tires on it, they will handle the load much better than the load range e 10ply tires the other trailer has on it.
    I run 14 ply tires on my heavy trailers.
    Ether way should be no problem, I would do it in a second.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be aware of state laws and drive within those laws so as not to be pulled over.
    Common people's bad but common driving may get one in trouble.
    lane usage is a strict law in many states. Lights on in any adverse weather is a sticky law in Ontario and so may be the law in some states.
    If you do get pulled over be nice because the road constable is fully the law if he doesn't like your load or your driving he can shut you down/ make you park it.
    You have to claim that it is a personal thing for your own personal use or you will be busted for not having CDL (class A for that load, same as a semi driver)
    Best to not be the fastest or slowest truck on the road.
    Some states require all over 10,000LBs have to stop at the weigh stations, if you claim that you don't know the exact weight or if it looks like less you may not get busted, that is your call so won't give advice.
    We were hauling a load in Wisconsin behind a chevy truck on a hot day and our transmission just went to no gear /ike neutral. we pulled over and fluids were OK. After cooling down, it went back to OK. We continued with no problem...just saying be repaired for a fail and be quick to get out of traffic if having a one....in traffic you get towed.
    Good to have some wheel chocks, short 4x4 are Ok.. and set of triangles would not be a bad idea.
    If you have time to read the CDK book might give you some hauling ideas... like go straight as far as is safe and then swing at a close clearance turn.

I made a drive-on jack so I could pull a trailer forward and lift a tire 3" off the ground...likely not good for a heavy load but ok for hauling lighter loads like deer blinds. Slayer Outdoor Products | Modular Aluminum Blinds & Towers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the difference from 100 miles to 1,300 miles. It would still be really bad.

Now if you take city vs mountains vs flat would be an arguement. I do not like surge brakes in the mountains. Too many non trailer drivers out there. Otherwise it's not bad having surge brakes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    What is the clamshell style of hook, do you mean like below picture?

I have the above hook style of straps and the below style of straps. When I moved my Kearney & Trecker Autometric, Rivett lathe and Abene mill on a Ford F550 stakebed, I used the below style.

Can you explain what you meant by hanging the trailer off the hitch ?
    The lower style hooks will not work well with the trailer I rent.

I mean you can raise the wheels to the point they are off the ground and the trailer is resting on the ground in the back and hitch in the front.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't learn to drive a vehicle towing a trailer with a heavy load. The first mistake can kill.

Find a service that will haul it for you, they are out there and need the work.

Whether you make the trip or not you should have life insurance and a will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh for Petey's sakes....

FWIW - I just sent Spudly contact info for ATS Trucking, and I recommend that he checks their pricing before all of this.

That will be only "1/2 load" and one direction.
    Their rates were good for my load last week.

edit:

BTW - I don't see any way that you would ever be able to talk your way out of a CDL ticket with this load.
    This is "for business/profit".

... and then it should be broken into a 4 day trip if you follow the 11 hour rule, but if you don't have the CDL, then I guess following the DOT rules would be out already anyhow, so ...

If you really want to make a big road trip for fun, then that is one thing, but by the time that you rent the equipment, pay for fuel both ways, overnight accommodations, etc, I kan't imagine that you would have anything left to put towards your time. (and I'm a tightwad that likes a road trip - when I have the time)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 09-17-2021 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added

19. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I towed the approximate same load with no trailer brakes almost 2,000 miles. Took a route to avoid any heavy traffic, secured the load well and left plenty of stopping distance. Using a regular gasoline powered SUV with a small V-8, I didn't pass many gas stations, it halved my typical gas mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't see it listed but the speed is what kills tires, etc. If you self-impose to 65mph you're going to do fine. Your tow vehicle has got plenty of pull and it will not be the limiting factor.

Bring a bottle jack (thnking 5t is OK) that can lift the entire trailer + its load in order to change a tire. Some cribbing wood like 2x6s or hardwood blocks are also very useful.

A 1/2" electric impact with the proper socket(s) make any tire change easier. Hand tools work well, in your climate, if your truck is driven in the winter the aluminum rims will likely be rusted hard to the brake disks and won't release without a fight. A light film of anti-seize, preapplied, will prevent this bugaboo problem on the road. Its important not to gob it on because centripetal acceleration can lead to it getting on the brake rotor...

I also recommend to check all tire pressures, including vehicle spare and trailer spare before you leave and before you load. They can get neglected and it can lead to some chump coming out in a wrecker wanting to charge you $100 to fill up your tire that's mounted but is obviously not up to the job due to the low inflation and probably won't make it to the next place you can actually get air.

I always bring a 6ft pinch bar in case I had to adjust the position of something heavy plus a 3/4t or 1-1/2t lever chain hoist to do the same.

The 2" web straps are excellent. Cordura sleeves like the link keep it from getting "sawed" by sharp metal edges, like the machine-ways and the vibration from the wind. I try to keep 3 of them on every strap that I own. One never knows if the Double-J or the flat hook is going to be the best choice so I have a stock of both. Sometimes even mixing the ratchet and and the long strap end to get the best grip.

12" Cordura Webbing Protector Sleeve for Straps @ Mytee Products

My 33yo truck is still rolling along, 7000# on the deck, could goto Texas if need be About 40,000 towing miles from what I can tell since I got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    The lower style hooks will not work well with the trailer I rent.

I mean you can raise the wheels to the point they are off the ground and the trailer is resting on the ground in the back and hitch in the front.

Which style hook did you use with the EZramp trailer you got from Sunbelt?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Which style hook did you use with the EZramp trailer you got from Sunbelt?

ratchet-straps-1.jpg

These