Would you drive 1300 miles with 7.5K-8k load on a surge brake trailer? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

21 thousand pounds would be a whole very big sled trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post

Never try to enforce a time schedule when loading or strapping down. It seems on paper like loading and strapping will take an hour, but normally its about 3 by the time you interface with people, deal with little issues, and finally everything is ready and all of the strap tails are tied down.

I agree on the inordinate time it takes to properly place and secure loads. It's taken me 2ish hours to tie-down and block large machine tools. And that's not counting the couple of hours it takes me to build a custom skid to bolt a lathe / mill / whatever machine to it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just pulled a 6,000# lathe home on my trailer.
    There's some great advice on these responses.
    My trailer has a wooden bed, so I got some 2x4's and blocked the lathe at front and sides with 5 pieces, cut to fit between lathe and sides of trailer; to stop it sliding.
    Then 2 straps each side pulling against each other so lathe can't tip. Not just over the lathe, but around lathe bed and back to same side. I like chains, but couldn't see where to put them without damage to ways. Chaffing of the straps can be a big issue, so protect them with rags.
    I dragged the lathe off into my shop, so loaded it tail stock to the front, so it was right way round.
    You want about 10% of total load as tongue weight; maybe 1,000# in your case. This will pretty much stop any fish tailing. Watch the way the truck sits during loading, and adjust position lathe so truck sits down nicely but doesn't take load off the front axle.
    Take your wife with you. She will want to stop every couple of hours. This is good. A good opportunity to check your straps.
    Make sure tires are at correct pressure. 80 psi on trailer, and truck back axle, maybe 65 on front.
    Make sure you have a spare trailer tire. You'll need a bottle jack, at least 4 ton. Also take lots of tools. And a cheater bar for trailer lug nuts.
    I'm going from Greenville SC up to Reading PA today to pick up another lathe. Hope to get home tomorrow evening. I don't have a tarp, so will take WD40 to protect the ways from rain.
    Good luck !
    Bob

img_3355-1-.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chains over ways need hardwood blocks to protect the iron.....same blocks can also be used to guide chains away from shafts,which are often bent by tightening chains without checking everywhere.....As to the straps ,offcuts of sheet rubber are good ,if you cant find rubber without cost,then raid the bin at the local carpet shop.....When we shifted newly painted steel beams and sections,we used tons of old carpet to stop damage to the new paint,and to straps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP................A heavy low center of gravity load is a cake walk................straps will do fine, just put a piece of cardboard under and sharp(ish) corner...........two decent straps would be just fine for the load you described, but go overboard if'n it makes you feel better. I've been consistently hauling 10k behind my 1/2 ton for the past few months....'lectric brakes............low heavy load and ya barely know it's back there.

What I hate is towin' a camper............not that I'm a nervous Nelly, it just sucks.......It's like pulling a parachute that sways back 'n forth.............silly thing is commercial guys who haul all the time get dinged for any little thing by the DOT, but you can put some weekend trucker in a 3500hd pulling a tri-ax fifth wheel and a boat all over God's creation and that's OK..............I see an old grey haired chuggin' along headin' to the lake place and that's when I get nervous....................

6. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did Jake git'chew a price for delivering it yet?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Did Jake git'chew a price for delivering it yet?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

I didn't get in touch with them because I have quite a bit of time. I think I would pick it up myself and use the ezramp with electric brakes as the feedback in this thread gives me confidence that it isn't a particularly challenging thing to do.

9. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back when my buddy was alive we would do that just as an excuse for a road trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your bigger challenge might be getting it off the trailer...

8k is outside the range of a pallet jack (~5k). Ramps and rollers always disappoint from what I find, the rollers find a hollow spot (wider gap, etc) and all roll downhill to the lowest point.

Being that the trailer has fenders its basically overhead rigging from the forks, and you get into the need for more like a 10-15k forklift or multiple machines working together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post
    Your bigger challenge might be getting it off the trailer...

8k is outside the range of a pallet jack (~5k). Ramps and rollers always disappoint from what I find, the rollers find a hollow spot (wider gap, etc) and all roll downhill to the lowest point.

Being that the trailer has fenders its basically overhead rigging from the forks, and you get into the need for more like a 10-15k forklift or multiple machines working together.

Since the trailer would be an Ezramp, I was thinking of machinery skates and slings around the base to pull it off with the pickup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skates on a trailer? Roll it on pipe much safer in my opinion...…… Might consider sitting it on 4 6 skids when you load it and bolt those to the base of the machine. make your life easer at the finish line?

14. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Skates on a trailer? Roll it on pipe much safer in my opinion...…… Might consider sitting it on 4 6 skids when you load it and bolt those to the base of the machine. make your life easer at the finish line?
    With skates on a trailer you have to have a winch to let it out and something to help it off.

I like to use one skate under the rear and let the forward end drag on a power tilt trailer.

And oh yeah, you cannot do this with a tilt trailer unless it's a power tilt hydraulic trailer. A gravity tilt will not work, it's very unsafe to try.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I usually use a come along to lower heavier stuff down from the trailer. Smaller stuff a have used a strap with with a couple wraps around the tongue as a friction brake. I'm not sure anything I have moved has been over 6000 lb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Ezramp lays down pretty flat, not dead flat like a Triple L trailer, but still rather flat. The one issue might be keeping the skate position under the machine. It might require building a skid and bolting machine base to it or just laying a lot of plywood and using pipes instead of skates to get it off the trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    The Ezramp lays down pretty flat, not dead flat like a Triple L trailer, but still rather flat. The one issue might be keeping the skate position under the machine. It might require building a skid and bolting machine base to it or just laying a lot of plywood and using pipes instead of skates to get it off the trailer.
    Use pipes, not skates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check your load soon after starting. If not experienced with securement, within 10 miles, then again after 50 miles.

Check the temperatures of the tire sidewall and wheel hubs with your hand. Check after a few hundred miles, and every fuel stop, even when empty. The tire sidewall will tell you if the tire is underinflated for the load.

20. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got some quotes from "U-Ship" to move a machine from Reading PA, to Greenville SC.
    600 miles
    6,000 lbs lathe
    12' long, 4' w, 5' h.
    Crane load at shipping location; forklift unload my end.
    Quotes ranged from $1,400 to $2,000.
    Each quote had a list of feedback notes from other customers (some of them not pretty).
    I actually did it myself for about $500 (hotel + diesel) and two very long stressful days.
    The quotes were cheaper than I thought.
    Might be worth considering.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
    I just got some quotes from "U-Ship" to move a machine from Reading PA, to Greenville SC.
    600 miles
    6,000 lbs lathe
    12' long, 4' w, 5' h.
    Crane load at shipping location; forklift unload my end.
    Quotes ranged from $1,400 to $2,000.
    Each quote had a list of feedback notes from other customers (some of them not pretty).
    I actually did it myself for about $500 (hotel + diesel) and two very long stressful days.
    The quotes were cheaper than I thought.
    Might be worth considering.
    Bob

OK, well - I had a pair of swiss lathes with barfeeders, and chip conveyors, and a cpl of support skids shipped in from Nebraska, which was prolly a little more than your 600 miles, and just over what the 11 hour limit would allow.

My load was 20K# and could have fit on 1/2 the trailer if needed.
    The truck lines that I mentioned previously brought it for $2300, and was tarped professionally, and was spread out over the whole 53' trailer.
    I doo question the lax in battening down, but that could be said for most loads it seems, so ...

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If'n you can find trucking Co that runs that route to TX, you can sometimes get a smokin' deal on freight...............when I was thinking of buyin a machine out in OH, I was gonna run out with my trailer inspect it and just drag it home. Well, I didn't have the time. Had a dealer inspect...........found a outfit that runs MN-OH all the time................got it on a LTL back to MN for $600...................a little diggin' and the OP may find a deal to get the iron to his door..................it just gets tricky/$$ when you need to pay to load and unload on each end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 to no skates on a trailer. Unless you have some way to bolt them on to the machine one of them will pull out at about the worst time possible.

For me skates are for a smooth, flat and level surface only. And even then I check them about every 6" of travel to make sure they aren't wandering away somewhere.