What's new
What's new

Hyster s40xl

Jfritz

Plastic
I have an older hyster forklift. Column shifter. Machine won't move forward but will reverse no trouble. If I jack the wheels up they move slowly in forward. Trying to narrow down the issue to the plunger in the valve body or friction disks in the trans. Any help appreciated

If you can get your hands on a manual, you should be able to check the clutch pressure with an external gauge. That would tell you if the valve is putting pressure on the clutch. Usually there are test ports, but you need a manual to figure out which one does what.

If it has serial prefix A187 or B187 the trans control valve seal kit is $12.10 from my generic big box vendor. Pt#HY373833

User discretion is advised. Free info has no gauantee, I charge for that.

My money would be on the clutch pack......drive disappears suddenly when discs wear past piston travel.One minute a goer,next minute nothing......One of the worst features of many Hysters is the declutch liked to brake pedal......disable that,and clutches last 10 times as long.

Thanks guys. Any chance the manual would be online somewhere? Anyone ever do the trans work in one? I have an uneasy feeling about this being clutch disks

It's not the transmission that's the problem, it's getting to it. I don't know if you can rebuild it in the machines. If you have to take it out of the machine, it's not a fun job. The entire machine is basically built around the transaxle. The mast, the engine, the main frame, everything bolts to the transaxle.

Call your local dealer and get a manual. Money well spent.

You will be very lucky to find a manual online.Forklift manuals dont seem to exist online,for some reason.....All forklifts are a problem to work on......if you need to take off the mast,you will need heavy lifting gear,or another forklift...Some machines its easier to take off the counterweight and pull out the motor.....incidentally,some small Hysters are TCMs....The manual will be ultra expensive,and may well be a pile of update bulletins...I worked on many forks,Ive never seen or owned a manual....nor needed one.They are straightforward,just impossible access.

the xl series hyster lift trucks are simple and rugged---but hyster created design flaw when the 40 and 60 series xl trucks were introduced---too thick pressure plates and too thin friction discs in transmission pack

25 years ago I purchased a h60xl and had identical problem you describe---you will likely need to remove counter weight, engine, transmission and obtain new
friction disc pack--each disc will be .020 to .040 thicker than new older discs
you will need to grind each steel pressure plate reducing thickness by 20 to 40 thousandths--the overall dimension of combined pressure plate and disc thickness must not be greater than new specs

and this is precisely what I did on my h60xl in 1993---no problems since--runs daily

do search in this forum and see detailed description in another thread

you may wish to download manual of h 60 on this website

hyster H 6 XL SHOP MANUAL

it should work for the h 40 in general terms--clutch pack thickness may be different

jh

Thanks for all the help. What does it mean when blocked up and in forward the wheels start to go backwards?

Back