What's new
What's new

1986 QT-10N Tool Setter Beep

I've got a 1986 QT-10N, 20 HP, 12 position turret with the tailbody (universal). When the tool setter extends on the tool measure command, it does not beep. it also does not enter a value when you touch off on it.

A little background on the machine, I bought it with a dead battery and dubious parameters. I replaced the battery and at that time, the tool setter beeped when it would extend.

I now have a clean set of parameters in the machine that came direct from Japan, with my serial number on the sheet (so I'm reasonably confident in them). Is it possible that one of the parameters pertaining to the tool eye is incorrect?

Aside from the tool setter business, I'm also seeing that parameters M28-M31 cannot be set to 0 (as the parameter sheet shows they should be). I can set them to any other number but 0, actually. When I enter 0, I get a blue "insufficient data" error in the corner of the screen.

I posted my parameters for reference to the question but also in case someone else needs them on the forum, I'd have loved to come across these with just a search.

It just occurred to me as I'm writing this that I may not be getting voltage to the tool eye. The LED never has lit, I pulled it today and did not get continuity across the two pins on the plug (like one of the switches was open). When I opened the top of the unit to expose the LED, I did not get continuity across the LED, nor did it light with external DC power. I bypassed and connected the wires going to the LED and the tool eye showed continuity across the plug pins. Pressing any of the 4 tool buttons would break this continuity, so I figured that was my smoking gun (it never is when you're that sure). I will read voltage coming from the female/machine side of the plug and post up.

Thanks
-Bill

I've posted my IMG_0694[1].jpgprm pg4.jpgprm pg1.jpgprm pg 2.jpgprm pg3.jpg

I think it's going to shape up to be really simple. The electrical drawing shows the tool setter circuit running from TB3 24+ to TB3 TL. There wasn't continuity across this circuit, so I followed the physical wiring through the machine and found this rats nest. The wires were physically disconnected because someone disconnected the hydraulic cylinder (guessing for the parts catcher?)and just left in laying with the wiring. If anyone flipped the switch on the control panel, it was still active (and must have worked the connections loose).

IMG_0709[1].jpg

Just when you think you are out!!! I connected the wires noted in my last post and I'm getting voltage back to TB3 TL, but I'm not getting voltage to Skip 0 required for the tool measure ladder. Upon closer inspection, the last step before going back from the small circuit board near the spindle drive (I'll attach a drawing) I find a broken resistor! Ordered a replacement 510 ohm/5 watt from Mouser (63 cents), wish me luck. This machine has been a long strange trip.IMG_0712[1].jpg

post a picture
I might have one

IMG_0714[1].jpgIMG_0715[1].jpg

Does this look right? PM me if it looks right, I'd love to fix this. I've got tape on the arm because it was returning too far into the pocket (I pulled the old lip seal so I could replace it). This eye is actually from another similar old mazak, the original to my machine in pretty tough shape. I'm guessing it had not worked in a while and just sat in old coolant that collected in the pocket.

yeah
I've got one of those
it's been a long time
but my recollection on these is the buttons are 4 n/c switches in series
if the rest of the circuit is right the and one of the buttons is "open" the thing will beep the second it reaches the bottom lower arm position.
I'll sell this tool eye for $150 but I cant guarentee its gonna fix your problem.
the eye was working when pull a few years ago. I did a quick Google there's a dude who will sell you a brand new one for $450
google search term "mazak tool eye"

let me know

SUCCESS!! After receiving a 512 ohm resistor (pictured earlier) from Mouser Electronics, skip0 is receiving the 24v stop signal, the machine is beeping and the tool offsets are being set via the tool eye.

I must have disturbed/damaged the resistor when I changed the spindle drive last summer. The other issues were clearly just to test how badly I wanted it.

Back