What's new
What's new

1987 QT-8 Lost Batteries and Now no spindle

Bob Wade

Aluminum
Hi guys, recently I posted an issue with my QT-8 T2 control, I replaced the batteries and reinstalled all the parameters, Originally I had a hydraulic issue, I.E. no Hydraulic pressure, that is now working o.k. except the tail stock pressure is always at zero. and I have no indicator on the tail stock on the control panel. Would this keep the spindle from turning in manual or in auto mode, if so what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

So I did a little research and went to look at a buddies QT 10,with a T-2 control, the hydraulic pressure is a non starter, his is the same way as mine, no green light means all is well with the tail stock. So now I’m heading down the chuck data rabbit hole, not sure if it would cause this but I took a pic of his chuck data to input into my machine, let’s see how it goes, I’m still open to suggestions, I would really like to se this machine up and running again, help me out fellas.

So I did a little research and went to look at a buddies QT 10,with a T-2 control, the hydraulic pressure is a non starter, his is the same way as mine, no green light means all is well with the tail stock. So now I’m heading down the chuck data rabbit hole, not sure if it would cause this but I took a pic of his chuck data to input into my machine, let’s see how it goes, I’m still open to suggestions, I would really like to se this machine up and running again, help me out fellas.

On my '86 QT-10N (T2-CAM control) the tail-stock can prevent the spindle from starting if it's not in the correct position.
DO you get a red error code when you push the spindle start button? If so, what number is it?

Thats the thing, I do get spindle load indication but no rotation, I have checked to make sure that the spindle rotate by hand and it does, It also shows RPM on the control when I rotate it by hand, I get no alarms and I have no alarm leds on the spindle control. it is an FR-SE spindle control. For what its worth the tool eye will not drop when commanded any more either.

On EDIT: The tailstock quill reverse light has to be on before the spindle will start, and to allow the tool eye to come down. There is a dog to adjust inside the tailbody. If adjusted correctly and still no light, then you could have a bad switch.

Next thing to try is re-initializing the control. This basically clears the memory completely out, so you lose all parameters, programs, and tool data. You can manually reload parameters if necessary, as there's only about 4 pages worth on the T-2.

Sometimes the re-initialization doesn't properly "take", so you have to do it again....and maybe again!

There is also a way to re-initialize using a PC connected directly to a control card in the back. This method guarantees a good re-initialization.

Mitsubishi Electric in Chicago has the procedures for the T-2, give them a shout.

Good luck with it,

ToolCat

Update: tried to reinitialize the machine two times today, first time didn’t take, shut down power and all parameters went to zeros, seemed kind of freaky so I input all parameters again, they all stayed this time but still no Joy with the spindle, no alarms still no luck with the tool eye, so I’m wondering if I may have a problem with the spindle control. I am going to try to reinitialize one more time tomorrow, I’ll keep you updated.

Bob.

O.k. Guys I’m at my Witt’s end, not sure where or what to do next, still no spindle, how do I know if the reinitialization was successful? I think I’ve done it at least 5 times with the same results, I’ve tried to input the parameters from the original parameter sheet, as well as I took pictures the first time I changed the batteries. Help me out fellas, otherwise I’m selling this thing for what it cost to rig it out of here.

Back