What's new
What's new

1997 Mazak VTC 16A

gsxr12000

Plastic
I just purchased a 1997 Mazak VTC 16A. Before purchasing I went to the shop I purchased from to watch it run some parts and do some tool changes. Everything worked great. Once the machine was at my shop and set in place and wired up. When I go to make a tool change the "Z" axis doesn't line up correctly for the fingers to go onto the tool holder. The Z axis motor was removed to get it into my shop so that may have played a role. My question is, Is there a parameter that can be changed to adjust this or what needs to be done? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

How far are you out of position? When you MDI G91G30 X0.Y0.Z0. does X and Y line up with tool changer and only Z is off?

This is a parameter setting. Look in your maintainence book for instructions.

You may want to get aquainted with a local Mazak service guy and let him help get this going; much easier and you have made a contact that you WILL need again.

no point in telling you now what you should've done. There's a parameter for setting the grid shift. You can change this, or you could jockey the Z motor around on the ball screw to get it lined up. On the VTC's, there's also a 2nd home position for the tool changer, check the parameter for that.

And, if you just bought the machine, back up your parameters, NOW.

X and Y both line up. The Z appears to be off by 1/4" to 1/2" too high

So the dirty way would be to power machine down....loosen the Z motor and turn it ONE full turn.... tighten it and try again.

.....you always have an option to call Mitubishi or Mazak them guys are GOOODDDD

Please take your inspection cover off the spindle and look inside where the shaft is mounted for your tool clamp. This is held in by a little thin piece of sheet metal that wears out. When this happens the machine will tool change thinking it let the tool go but the shaft is out of position and it did not let the tool go. So it will destroy those fingers and proceed to drive the next tool thru the fingers at the tool change destroying them also. I made a new clip that engages 180 degrees of the slot in this shaft. Ours is a VTC-30 1998 I would think it is the same. And the boys at Machinery Systems in Brookfield WI. are quite good at fixing these machines.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I have a service guy that I will call. I don't want to mess anything else up by trying this myself so I will get some help. I wouldn't want to change the wrong parameter and screw it up.

Back