What's new
What's new

2000 Mazak DT20 and QT250 transformer and wiring problems.

cncemt

Plastic
We just got in 2 Mazaks. A QT250hp and a DT20, both year 2000.
the QT has an alarm for 201 breaker trip, which i read in another thread may be as simple as one of the cooling fans having an issue, i will report back with the resolution of that issue after we get to look at it.
the main purpose for this thread is the DT20 absolutely refusing to power on. we checked the tap settings on the transformer and for the transformer they are correct.
see photos below for our transformer pictures.
20210218_094545.jpg
20210218_104930.jpg

the strange thing is that when we look in our manuals we get the following guidance for how to tap the transformer.
transformer taps.jpg

i was able to find pictures on google of what seems to match the manuals suggestion. (see below)
not our transformer1.jpg
not our transformer.jpg

we have had 2 different electricians take a look at our setup and they both are saying that the transformer we have seems awfully large for what we are trying to use it for, and it seems that something is going straight to ground.
i am fairly certain they were using 480v input to this transformer before we got it (according to the tap settings from when we got it). we only have 230v and figured it should be as simple as switching the tap settings and turning it on.

i suppose my questions to start out (i know little about electricity) are...
is it a possibility that even though we have the taps set up correctly (according to the paper in the transformer) our input voltage of 230v is somehow not compatible with the 200v that the machine wants with the use of this transformer?

any ideas why it immediately trips out the disconnect and the breakers in the panel?

what steps can i (with the aid of an electrician) take to find out how this thing wants to be hooked up?

do i NEED the smaller transformer like the one i found on google that matches the one in the manual, or shouldn't it matter?

SOLVED!
we have the optional wire 50 and 51 attached to the main breaker. it is for a shunt trip of the breaker. after much cursing and head scratching we found that one of the switches on one of the access panel doors was bad. we simply disconnected one of the wires (wire #50 on our diagram) and VIOLA, she sprang to life. we think it may have been tripping the breaker at the main panel due to a bad breaker as well. so we replaced the main breaker as well and now the machine is up and running. however now we get an estop alarm (alarm #33) as soon as we go to start a program to run. we are searching the manuals now for that

Back