What's new
What's new

'96 SQT15MS- Coolant in live tool air line

ManualEd

Stainless
Hi All,

1996 Mazak SQT 15MS Mk V
I started getting a 239 Milling Couple Sensor Malfunction when running live tools.

I pulled off the small air line to milling head in the turret that extends the driver.
Lots of air mixed with coolant/oil in the top part and the line. Purged that out and the problem came back a few parts later.

The coolant mixture made its way all the way back to the air manifold in the back of the machine. When I took the line off this solenoid and blew air into it, coolant and air blew out of the coolant hole on my tool block. Edit: this line and solenoid is listed as "Work Instrument" or "Workpiece measurement Unit" in the parts manual.
IMG_4072.jpg

Is the coolant plunger on this machine air or hydraulic operated?
If the seals on the plunger are leaking back into the air system that could be the problem, but I could have sworn it is a hydraulic driven plunger....

Anyone have any issues like this before?

Thanks!

Edit Edit: The o-rings in the coolant plunger were pretty mangled, and blowing into the line labeled "Workpiece Measurement Unit" makes air com out of the hole that actuates the coolant plunger, so it must be air activated. Replaced o-rings and will see if the problem persists.

Edit edit edit: 3 parts in and no more coolant in the air lines. That was about as quick and cheap a fix as you can hope for!

Last edited:
Edit:

It started leaking past the o-ring again.
How does the coolant get into the air line leading back to the manifold?

Edit Edit:

The air line feeding back to the manifold is for an air blast to the work measurement probe that no longer exists. The coolant made its way into there.
The whole hydraulic tank is also coolant contaminated.
Maybe not so cheap a fix.

Seal started leaking again after 10 parts. The bore in the coolant block is pretty pitted and the o-ring didn't look great.

Not loving Mazaks list price of $1800USD for a new coolant block.

Has anyone honed out the bore on the coolant block and used an over size o-ring on the piston?

Also, this machine came with a 1000PSI cool jet coolant pump, but it still uses the normal brass piston and plastic face seal.
Is anything in the coolant block supposed to be changed out when using high pressure coolant?

Thanks!

Back