What's new
What's new

Adding EIA/ISO and DNC to a Mazatrol M2

marcin.warmuz

Plastic
Hello everyone!

New to this forum as a poster but have been lurking around for a while.

My company owns a VQC 15/40 with M2 controls. It did not (does not?) have EIA option in it. After doing some reading in these forums about people successfully adding EIA to their older controls, we obtained inexpensively an FX17 board as well as FX784-9 with EIA chips on it.

I installed the FX17 board and the FX784-9 but the machine would not power on. After that I decided to put the original FX784-9 back in it but with the EIA chips from the board we purchased (is it a total of 6 ROMS that need to be installed). Powered up the machine, changed the Y03 parameter to 128 to enable EIA/ISO and when machine is powered up, I get '22 SUM CHECK ERROR'. What am I missing? Are there any other parameters that need to be set? Is the 128 setting correct?

By the way, the machine functioned normally before. It was recently reinitialized after sitting idle for 6 months so new batteries on boards were installed and all the default parameters were reloaded from a disc, I used for few jobs it by programming it in Mazatrol and it works perfectly otherwise.

Thank you in advance,

Marcin

On a T2 and T3 there is only 2 eproms for EIA/ISO.
Alarm 22 SUM Check error is pointing to the eproms that doesnt have anything to do with EIA/ISO.
Can you take pictures of the boards?

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200512145210788.jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20200512145214670_COVER.jpg

These are pictures of the FX784-9 from my M2 controller. In the second image you can see 6 chips with stickers that say YT-EIA that I've added to this board.

Also, when I came back to work yesterday, I reverted the parameter Y03 back to 0 and I get no more error 22 but I also don't see any options for EIA. That's with the chips still installed on the board.

I was wrong, its the language eproms that is 2 eproms, EIA/ISO is 6 eproms.
But I see now your EIA/ISO eproms are marked YT (Yamazaki Turning) and I think they should be marked YM (Yamazaki Milling).
You bought a board from a T2 or T3 machine and not a M2.

That explains it all...when I installed the entire board that I purchased, the machine would power on with a blank screen, nothing functioning.

So this means these chips and the board are no good for me?

What would be the means of obtaining the chips without paying an arm and a leg to Mazak?

I know there is a scrapped M2 mill 2,5 hour driving from me.
If you can wait I can check if the FX784-9 board is still there and I can read the eproms from that one.
I suggest you buy a eprom writer, eprom eraser and a lot of empty eproms so you are ready when I or someone else can provide you with the files from the eproms.

B TL866II Plus Programmer EPROM EEPROM Flash MiniPro BIOS AVR AL PIC MCU | eBay
Ultraviolet Light UV EPROM Eraser Erase Eraseable Timer 110V to 240V New 797334693830 | eBay
2Pcs ST M27128AFI M27128AF1 IC CDIP28 EPROM | eBay

I know there is a scrapped M2 mill 2,5 hour driving from me.
If you can wait I can check if the FX784-9 board is still there and I can read the eproms from that one.

Yes, that would be great and we are absolutely in no rush. I will order the items you listed below and I have bookmarked a video walking through the process of burning the ROMs.

Thank you again. You've been an amazing help.

Back