What's new
What's new

Advice for a Mazak SQT 18MS-Y MACHINE TOOL

Gordon123

Plastic
The company I work for purchased a well used Mazak SQT 18MS-Y with a sub-spindle, after 6 months of working with it, they are not that happy with our ability, we need to do better. So, I have a few questions on how to do better with this machine. The machine ONLY has the Mazatrol T-plus programming, it is NOT set up for EIA/ISO codes.

1. Best way to transfer file from control to desk top computer? (I'm thinking a DNC tranfer device?)

2. Any idea what the cost would be to upgrade control to use standard G-codes?

3. If control is upgraded, can you use a generic post to program from Autodesk Inventor/HSM CAM?

4. If we do not upgrade the control, is Mazak training on the T-plus control worth the money?

Any and All advice is welcomed, I myself favor the Fanuc controls, I have little to NO experience with
the Mazatrol T-plus programming.

Upgrade to EIA programming with a MSQY? The T+ controller is perfect for programming that machine. Most people are able to self teach on that controller. Youtube has some pretty good stuff, but the programming is a piece of cake. Get some one local to show you the basics, and you will be off and running soon. The learning curve is quite shallow. Hell, you throw a few bucks my way, and I will have you writing simple programs in an hour. The most complex stuff might take a couple of days. Dig in man! Grab a manual and go! On a simple lathe like this, once you go Mazatrol, you will never look back.

The company I work for purchased a well used Mazak SQT 18MS-Y with a sub-spindle, after 6 months of working with it, they are not that happy with our ability, we need to do better. So, I have a few questions on how to do better with this machine. The machine ONLY has the Mazatrol T-plus programming, it is NOT set up for EIA/ISO codes.

1. Best way to transfer file from control to desk top computer? (I'm thinking a DNC tranfer device?)

2. Any idea what the cost would be to upgrade control to use standard G-codes?

3. If control is upgraded, can you use a generic post to program from Autodesk Inventor/HSM CAM?

4. If we do not upgrade the control, is Mazak training on the T-plus control worth the money?

Any and All advice is welcomed, I myself favor the Fanuc controls, I have little to NO experience with
the Mazatrol T-plus programming.

1. you'll need a specific program to transfer mazatrol programs to/from the controller. I use X-storm... it's a pretty average program, but it gets the job done and it's cheap, also has a trial. Downloads

2. upgrading the control may or may not be viable. the cost from mazak i'm sure would be astronomical if it's anything like the older controls, however if it is anything like the older controls you may be able to work it out yourself with the help of some people that own similar machines with EIA option (check out this thread for how a few good people made it happen on the T2 controller - https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/adding-eia-t2-mazatrol-327009/ )

3. AFAIK mazaks use fairly generic G-code, but there will be some nuances that you'll have to modify your post processor to handle. I haven't actually ever run my T2 on gcode yet, so haven't messed with the post processor to get it working, so can't really help with specifics here.

4. I'm not sure who would actually provide dedicated t-plus training, however from what i've seen ALL mazatrol is very similar (even the brand new machines are the same basic layout and process) I made a video a while ago about doing the basics on a T-2 controller, that may help - the filming and sound is shit, but it serves a purpose. - Mazatrol T2 basic programing - YouTube

hope this all helps.

Back