What's new
What's new

Advice on vqc 15/40

cl743

Plastic
I looked at a vqc 15/40 that I am thinking about buying. When I got to where the machine was located it was under power but when I turned it on the screen lit up but would not boot up. I am not to familiar with mazak and did not check to see if the floppy drive was working or not. The tool changer was missing several sets of fingers. I also was not able to rotate the spindle by hand. Is this machine even worth bringing home, what would I want to try or look for if I go take another look at it, and what price range would I be looking at to get it back up and running. Thanks for any help or suggestions

The machine is a 1989 with a m32 control. There were no errors. The screen on the control had power but it was completely blank. I saw some other posts about an orange screen. The one on this machine was just a blue or purple. I tried pushing several soft keys and still nothing and there were not any led light on the control either

Did you try homing the axis? (z-, x-, y-, 4- hard buttons)

It could have a stuffed screen. I've replaced the screen on my 20/40 m2 that only had like 8000 hours

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When you say no LED lights on the controller... do you mean the face panel with the soft keys? Did you get to have a look in the electrical panel? There are some LEDs on the brain that tell you if things are functioning.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

blue screen is bad
a machine that will not boot up is worth a couple hundred over scrap at most.
tell the seller you'll reconsider after he has had Mazak in and got the thing booted up.

Did you try homing the axis? (z-, x-, y-, 4- hard buttons)

It could have a stuffed screen. I've replaced the screen on my 20/40 m2 that only had like 8000 hours

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I did try to home it and jog it with the hard keys but It wouldn't move. I did some research on here after I got home and read that it could possibly need to have a hard boot up done or that the floppy drive in the electrical cabinet could be bad.

When you say no LED lights on the controller... do you mean the face panel with the soft keys? Did you get to have a look in the electrical panel? There are some LEDs on the brain that tell you if things are functioning.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Yes the LED's on the face panel with the soft keys did not come on. I did have a look in the electrical panel but the day that I looked at it I didn't know to look for the LED's on the floppy drive and I can't remember if there were any lit up on it. In hind sight I should have done some research before I went to look at it but the guy that was selling it told me a line of half truths and hole lies

I'm leaning with Wippin Boy here. If the LEDs on the soft keys didn't come on, (as in none of them) then there is likely to be more than the screen needing replacement. The Floppy drive LED wont be a good indicator.. Mine doesn't have a Floppy drive at all (VQC 20/50 M2 control).

I would personally keep looking - unless the owner gets Mazak rep to give it a clean bill of health...

Keep on looking....I think this is one is not worth much, unless you want to do a total rebuild.

Back