What's new
What's new

aligning both heads on an MP630

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
Hey guys,

I've just moved my MP630 and levelled it as best I could, now when I'm doing a transfer it's marking the part and spindle load is going high, I assume due to some misalignment between the spindles... how can I test/align it? (It was fine before moving, so I assume it's twist that's causing it)

Cheers,
Trav

to test it you put and indicator in one head and sweep a bar(after being turned true) in the other
i don't know what an mp630 is so not much help there for you
but
my old dual turn 20's the head road back and forth on linear guides (-z-)
you adjusted the head on the guide packs to achieve alignment. been to long to do a step by step but there are people here that have them i think
you have to remember that you are setting both taper and between head parallelism.
it can be a long afternoon
but everything works if you let it

if its twist you should be able to see that with a spirit bubble on the ways and on the head casting moving from one end of the axis to the other

to test it you put and indicator in one head and sweep a bar(after being turned true) in the other
i don't know what an mp630 is so not much help there for you
but
my old dual turn 20's the head road back and forth on linear guides (-z-)
you adjusted the head on the guide packs to achieve alignment. been to long to do a step by step but there are people here that have them i think
you have to remember that you are setting both taper and between head parallelism.
it can be a long afternoon
but everything works if you let it

if its twist you should be able to see that with a spirit bubble on the ways and on the head casting moving from one end of the axis to the other

MP630 is a Multiplex 630 - basically the same as a Dual turn (in fact i'm not sure what the actual differences are between the 2)

I'll chuck up an indicator in head 2 now and check against a turned part in hd1. I didn't even think of that.

Cheers,
Trav

All sorted. Indicates within .05mm at a few different spots along the z travel of both spindles, and the spindle loads on bar transfer is back down near nothing. (apart from normal accel. loads) and no marks on the job.

It appears it was more of a height between each head problem than a twist problem. basically just had to lower all of the jacking bolts on HD2 a bit to bring it into line. (the casting between the 2 heads is kind of a web, so obviously not going to hold things perfect from end to end.)

Thanks for the suggestion of indicating from the second head to a turned part in the first. For some reason i just totally hadn't thought of doing that and was thinking i'd use feeler gauges to some soft fresh bored jaws or some such nonsense.

it's about time something positive happened in 2020 ;)

Just had both sets of Z guides replaced on a MP 6200, and let me tell you what a headache that was getting things back in order. Mazak techs managed to pull her in within .0005" TIR (.025mm)though. 4/10 do not want to do again! congrats on your accomplishment!

Back