What's new
What's new

anyone can check out a SQT 18 MS in Alton Illinos

madmachinst

Stainless
Anyone can do that and how much is the usual asking rate for an inspection? I need to know more than that the axis's run or the spindle turns. I need to know that everything functions accurately and precisely the turret is not too far out of whack, all the sensors are functioning well etc etc.

Just my opinion, but for me a used machine inspection is more about the overall feeling of the machine, and typically not something that is easy to quantify.

I've never, ever, seen a used CNC lathe that did not need a complete alignment of the headstock, turret, and tailstock. Just count on doing that. Even if it "makes good parts", count on an alignment.

Typically you are going to find a laundry list of other issues that the owner has simply learned to work around. Common examples: tool setter not working or not calibrated, way covers or wipers damaged, glass broken/cloudy, sheetmetal missing, safety interlocks missing or bypassed, problems with the chip conveyor, electrical cabinet looks like a family of squirrels have taken up residence, etc.

None of those things will stop the machine from actually working. Also, no inspection can predict the life of any electrical component. You may blow a spindle drive the day the machine arrives. That's just how it goes.

I've actually learned that I am not good at doing machine inspections because I'm in a position where even serious issues don't scare me.

Bro you interested in taking on the project. I just need a list of what to take care of or not? How to work around what needs special attention. I am in FL machine in Alton. I doubt I can even get on a plane to get over there. Lets talk dough if you are interested.

The SQT18MS is a tank. It has the 2-3/4" through-hole integral spindle with 10" Kitagawa chuck.

If the pictures look good, and you can see a video of everything working, you can't go wrong.

Buying used, you have to learn how to use a multi-meter, and interpret the detailed, complex electrical and mechanical drawings.

Plenty of help on the web for Mazak's too...

ToolCat

Back