What's new
What's new

ARGH! Shorted transformer secondary

bonestock

Aluminum
Just curious if this may be something common to Mazak transformers or if I am just lucky.

I've noticed for the last 12 months my QT10 has been slow to turn on. By that I mean I turn on the main disconnect and then it seems to take a few minutes before it will respond to the power button to fire up the control.

Apparently that was an important sign that one of the 100v secondary windings was dying.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. The control would not power on at all. After letting the machine sit like that for about 20 minutes -- the 50 amp breaker in my service panel tripped.

Process of elimination isolated it to the multi-tap transformer on the side of the machine. I'm going to megohm the transformer this week to confirm what I'm fairly certain to be true -- that 600VA 100V secondary side has shorted out somehow. It looks like a phase to phase short.

Since the transformers are located in very close proximity to the chip conveyor I would think this sort of issue may not be totally uncommon. I'm going to look at adding some sort of shroud or filter element to the cover.

Just curious if this may be something common to Mazak transformers or if I am just lucky.

I think you are just unlucky. My 30+ year old Mazaks (4 of them) never had an issue with the internal transformer and I have never read about a problem about one here until now. Sucks but not nearly as expensive as a more common VFD failure.

I think you are just unlucky. My 30+ year old Mazaks (4 of them) never had an issue with the internal transformer and I have never read about a problem about one here until now. Sucks but not nearly as expensive as a more common VFD failure.

Mazak wants a small fortune for the transformer which I expected. I see several external mazak transformers on eBay that appear suitable and approximately the same Kva and physical size -- that will probably the route I go.

Mazak wants a small fortune for the transformer which I expected. I see several external mazak transformers on eBay that appear suitable and approximately the same Kva and physical size -- that will probably the route I go.
The 10N in my machine had a 32 KVA transformer like this one.

Mazak VQC VMC Mitsubishi 32 8 KVA Transformer TR Yu Tryu | eBay

If it's just the 100v portion that failed, you might be able to disconnect it internally and use a separate 100v transformer to power the control:

Kasuga Electrical Transformer DV s 1 5 KVA 1 5KVA 1 Ph 1PH 2 22V 1V M37 | eBay

Back