What's new
What's new

Bar puller on T1 control?

mmurray70

Stainless
Anybody ever try and rig up a bar puller on T1 control? Seems like it would be a real pain in the butt, if its even possible at all. Can the chuck even be controlled with M codes? How would you go about doing the actual pull? Whole bunch of single moves? Any suggestions?

Before they died, we pulled with our T-1's. I dont remember exactly what the process was, just a number of M codes in a Mazatrol manual unit.

Played around with this tonight. The "single" moves seem pretty easy. First time messing with that.

But my machine doesnt seem to want to open and close the chuck. Manual also says M6/M7 but the machine just sits there and does nothing. Tried putting M5 before it, no different. Googling "Mazak T1 M6" shows other people with the same problem but havent found clear soloution yet.

Any ideas? Seems like this wouldn't actually be too bad to setup. If only my chuck would open/close.

A little update with this... Seems like opening and closing the chuck was an option and I guess I dont have it, no way of ever getting that to work without proper parameters (special codes for the SQ parameter). Only working M codes I have on this machine is for coolant and tailstock. Thought maybe I could rig up tailstock to advance and hit a switch to open chuck so played with that, but it didnt want to advance the tailstock, do some other moves (bar pull) and then retract the tailstock. was giving me an alarm. So that was out.

Only other option was to use the M code for coolant pump. So I rigged up a relay to "press the foot pedal" every time coolant pump gets power. This is working fine. Turn on my coolant now and the chuck opens. But it wont open if spindle is already turning so as long as im careful to start my spindle first with an m code everything will work fine! Awesome! Will pull the relay out of socket when im done this bar pulling job just to be safe...

So this brings me to another problem. This darn T1 control will let me repeat the program, but it wants to do it continuously. I cant just run say 40 parts and then stop. So what am I supposed do I do when I get to the end of the bar? I will end up with a piece of rod still in bar puller and this will crash into chuck on next part?

Any suggestions here? What did you guys do to make this work on T1? How about cutting a groove and then using a fork to fit over groove to pull? Do it all with a little clearance and maybe the end of bar will hopefully just fall out? Is there a better way??

Do you have manuals for the machine? The programming one isn’t good but it is helpful for some of the cycles. I have the manuals from my scrapped QT10 I think.

Yes I have the manuals. No talk of bar pulling in it. Probably wasnt big deal in early 80s. It does mention M codes for chuck being an option. And I tried them with no luck.

I think I may have the "end of bar" problem figured out too. Looks like I can set tool life times to get it to stop after certain time. Will take bit of messing around, and ill need to reset tool after every bar but I think I can make it work. No stopping me now! Hopefully get it going this week.

Back