What's new

Calibration of Renishaw probe in Mazak Matrix Nexus 2

steve@aam

Plastic
Calibration of Renishaw probe in Mazak Matrix Nexus 2

Calibrated the probe after:

Indicating the probe true;

sweeping a known diameter ring & establishing it as a datum/work offset;

running the 'Calibrate' cycle in Mazatrol.

However, when I touched off my next workpiece with a 'Y-plus' surface routine, my offset was off by +.050" in 'Y'.

Any idea what I'm missing?

I prefer to double check my calibration by doing a probe unit to pick up bore on the ring after to make sure that it determines it is in the same location I calibrated it off of. Also have a look at L1-L4 in machine parameters. These are the calibration parameters. 1 is eccentricity in Y, 2 is eccentricity in X, 3 is ball size in Y, 4 is ball size in X. If you indicated the ball in really good then L1,L2 should be pretty small numbers. Also 3 and 4 should be very close to the same number. The numbers will look big but they are in half microns or some crazy shit. You should be able to get an Idea of the scale based off the L3 and L4 numbers. I also like to write these down to have a log of the past calibrations. Not sure it makes a huge difference but they also recommend 2"-4" ring when calibrating. I actually prefer to calibrate after running a boring bar because I trust I can measure a hole diameter more accurately than find the location of the ring in the machine. Sorry for the long post but these are my thoughts on the subject. Good luck

PS, did you tighten adjustment screws?

I prefer to double check my calibration by doing a probe unit to pick up bore on the ring after to make sure that it determines it is in the same location I calibrated it off of. Also have a look at L1-L4 in machine parameters. These are the calibration parameters. 1 is eccentricity in Y, 2 is eccentricity in X, 3 is ball size in Y, 4 is ball size in X. If you indicated the ball in really good then L1,L2 should be pretty small numbers. Also 3 and 4 should be very close to the same number. The numbers will look big but they are in half microns or some crazy shit. You should be able to get an Idea of the scale based off the L3 and L4 numbers. I also like to write these down to have a log of the past calibrations. Not sure it makes a huge difference but they also recommend 2"-4" ring when calibrating. I actually prefer to calibrate after running a boring bar because I trust I can measure a hole diameter more accurately than find the location of the ring in the machine. Sorry for the long post but these are my thoughts on the subject. Good luck

PS, did you tighten adjustment screws?
Hey quick question. I am running my probe calibration cycle . But don’t see anything getting imputed on the L1-L4 parameters, I’m the the Table parameter page is the the right one . Mazatrol mill.

There
Hey quick question. I am running my probe calibration cycle . But don’t see anything getting imputed on the L1-L4 parameters, I’m the the Table parameter page is the the right one . Mazatrol mill.
There are two different calibration cycles. Probe has to be calibrated for Mazatrol using the Mazatrol calibration cycle and also the inspection plus cycle from Renishaw. for the inspection plus calibration there is a renishaw macro on the control that says "base address variables" or something of that like. this is the starting number of the macro variable used for storing eia calibration data. it is typically defaulted to #500-about 550. That is likely where your calibration data is being written.

I usually calibrate in eia first as that makes it easier to calibrate in mazatrol once you already know the probe is setup correct.

Thank seems like they’re on the #500 macro and on , appreciate the help. Sadly this didn’t fix our problem. We had a company come and do the yearly calibration to the machine and after we been having issues with the probe, we have checked our parts on a cmm and they’re good, so we know it’s something with our probe not taking measurements right. Already had mazak come also to re calibrate the machine and everything seems good. Can’t figure out why it’s not ready right.

Back