What's new
What's new

Chip Conveyor neede for qt20

Be careful when you buy a chip conveyor for your QT20HP. If you use a side-exit kind, like most shops, the conveyor has to pass through two openings in the cast iron frame (located under the tailstock area).

If your new conveyor is too wide, you have problems my friend....:eek:

Also, try to find a conveyor that has about the right amount of horizontal length on the bottom. Too short won't work, too long and the conveyor will stick way out the right side of your machine.

Good luck in your search!

Greg

I bought one off EBAY for our Tornos.
Picked it up near Mississagua, ON.
Good excuse for a road trip - on the shops dime... :)

Just figger out the size that you need and watch the "papers" to find one the right size, but maybe a little long. You can have a fab shop shorten it up for you.

Prolly have 1/3 of new in it...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I can't imagine anyone purchasing a new lathe with no chip conveyor. Maybe if it's a tiny little thing. Someone did a lot of shoveling to save a few thousand at the time of purchase.

Amazing.

tc....twin cam? I like it!
I wasn't sure if you needed/wanted new or used and so I figured at least you'd know where you could get one...

LOL - ewlsey...

I can't imagine anyone purchasing a new lathe with no chip conveyor. Maybe if it's a tiny little thing. Someone did a lot of shoveling to save a few thousand at the time of purchase.

Amazing.

That was my thought on my Tornos.
This machine was HUGE $ when it was new.
..and they passed on the chip conveyor? :willy_nilly:

I would like to fetch one for our Hardinge 1000 mill now...
May go new on that one. ???

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Amazing.
I have yet to see a corporate bean counter run any machine they purchase because they are usually the ones who change the order to save a dollar. We have been fucked by a few in the past. :mad5:

I refuse to purchase a machine without a chip conveyor. BIGGEST Time waster you've ever seen. Hard for the bean counters to justify dropping it if you take them the numbers to show that for every hour or two your making chips, your spending 15 minutes cleaning out the machine while it's sitting idle. No MBA can make those numbers work. A $30,000 chip conveyor averages about a 3-4 month ROI. (Done several ROI calcs for them.)

It's got nothing to do with making chips. It's got everything to do with return on investment and time. Bean counters don't care what you are doing, all they look at is numbers, so you have to show them the right numbers.

It's got nothing to do with making chips. It's got everything to do with return on investment and time. Bean counters don't care what you are doing, all they look at is numbers, so you have to show them the right numbers.
Problem is sometimes the bean counters have their OWN numbers to make--like how to cut costs on each purchase. In our world, the bean counters department is independent from the end user so any money they save on paper makes them look like heroes to upper management at the expense of everyone else. The sad part is they actually think they are saving money. :rolleyes5: They think this is the same as buying a car and someone wants fancy aluminum wheels where the stock steel wheels will suffice. Again the problem surfaces when we get the machine delivered and go WTF! This is NOT what we ordered! Thanks for 'helping' us save some money. :angry:

In the past, we special ordered lathes with FANUC 15T controls to match the rest of the shop. Someone found out they could save $3,000 by buying the machine fitted with the cheaper OT control instead. That machine cost a whole lot in added time and scrapped dozens of parts over the years (only $24K to $50K each) due to multiple reasons--tool offsets were different format, CAD post had to be different, operators running machine forgot tool wear was a radius value--not diameter, ect. I'm glad its gone.

This was just ONE example. I can think of hundreds more, but you get the point. We had a term for it: They would gladly step over that dollar to pick up that shiny nickel.

End rant. Sorry.

I bought one off EBAY for our Tornos.
Picked it up near Mississagua, ON.
Good excuse for a road trip - on the shops dime... :)

Just figger out the size that you need and watch the "papers" to find one the right size, but maybe a little long. You can have a fab shop shorten it up for you.

Prolly have 1/3 of new in it...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

How near Mississauga ON?

Back