Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cloned hard drives?

G'day all,
    Looks like the hard drive on my Multiplex 6100y has decided to die. Does anyone know if anyone does cloned hard drives or is it a case of getting reamed with a pineapple by Mazak.

Thanks Bob

Forgot. Fusion 640 control

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many out there that recover "dead" hard drives.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had Mitsubishi come in and clone all our hard drives for backup purposes. Kind of spendy, but we have used it a couple of times already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Many out there that recover "dead" hard drives.
    Do you know of anyone in particular?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My VTC 30 hard drive went after 18 years. $900.00 from Mits for a replacement. It came with Mazatrol already on it and that was the major expense. I had a full floppy backup of everything, including Mazatrol. Took me many hours to put ladder and many other items back. Good luck and get a telephone headset for tech support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy55 View Post
    Do you know of anyone in particular?
    I like these guys but it has been quite a while since I needed their services:
    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OT: My hard drive is Ok ...
    but my computer was fried because the cooling fax went belly up and the computer got to hot.
    so out a few hundred for another computer.

*Just a advising that everyone feel the fan once in a while to be sure the fan still works.

I did read that the drive can wear out so an old / old drive may not be so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dead fans, either power supply or CPU coolers are my number one source of computer problems.
    Nowadays one even has to worry about the fan on a video card.
    In a emergency there is the put the hard drive in the freezer overnight and then copy. Works a very low percentage of times but easy try.
    Machine tools are not PCs and I have no idea what Mazak is using now or then for format.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    My VTC 30 hard drive went after 18 years. $900.00 from Mits for a replacement. It came with Mazatrol already on it and that was the major expense. I had a full floppy backup of everything, including Mazatrol. Took me many hours to put ladder and many other items back. Good luck and get a telephone headset for tech support.
    I've been quoted $2700 from Mazak dealer

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been quoted $2700 from Mazak dealer
    Jeeze. Okay, one thing you can try first - for $2700 maybe worth it ? - is if the platters are good but the electronics that drive them have died, then find a disk that's exactly the same but working. Has to be exactly the same. Pull the card off the bottom of the good one and put it on your bad one. That's sort of a desperation move but looks like that's where you are ...

Pulling the data off a dead disk is possible but remember, if the cause was a disk crash, then that data will be corrupted. Maybe in an area that doesn't matter, maybe in the part that tells the machine what to do. No way of knowing.

It's like health care, they know they gotcha so they're going to cut a fat hog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Jeeze. Okay, one thing you can try first - for $2700 maybe worth it ? - is if the platters are good but the electronics that drive them have died, then find a disk that's exactly the same but working. Has to be exactly the same. Pull the card off the bottom of the good one and put it on your bad one. That's sort of a desperation move but looks like that's where you are ...

Pulling the data off a dead disk is possible but remember, if the cause was a disk crash, then that data will be corrupted. Maybe in an area that doesn't matter, maybe in the part that tells the machine what to do. No way of knowing.

It's like health care, they know they gotcha so they're going to cut a fat hog.
    From what i was told the machine was working before they had a problem with the spindle encoder on head 2. Apart from that they had just spent $35k on a new spindle (verified by the Mazak tech and the old spindle was still sitting there in the box). The machine ran for a couple of months before the encoder went and they didn't want to spend another 8k as that side of the business was closing down in another 8 months anyway. Everything else was working before that.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what i was told the machine was working before they had a problem with the spindle encoder on head 2.
    Then if you are lucky it may just be a stuck disk. There's a whole bunch of home remedies on the innernet - put it in a plastic bag and freeze it, tap it on the side, etc etc. They are all attempts to get a seized bearing loose so the disk can spin again. I've never had any luck with that but you can try them, doesn't hurt.

First off, if you put your hand on the disk when it's supposed to be spinning, can you feel any vibration ? Sometimes in a control it's hard to tell if the disk is turning or not, but if not, one of the home remedies may do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Then if you are lucky it may just be a stuck disk. There's a whole bunch of home remedies on the innernet - put it in a plastic bag and freeze it, tap it on the side, etc etc. They are all attempts to get a seized bearing loose so the disk can spin again. I've never had any luck with that but you can try them, doesn't hurt.

First off, if you put your hand on the disk when it's supposed to be spinning, can you feel any vibration ? Sometimes in a control it's hard to tell if the disk is turning or not, but if not, one of the home remedies may do the trick.

I finally got back to it for a little while yesterday. Removed the cover on the hard drive and disk is free. Might do it again today and see if disc spins and go from there.