What's new
What's new

Controller upgrade for Fanuc system 5t Mazaks

dodgin

Hot Rolled
Hey guys, we have three older Mazak lathes - an M5 (blue, 1984 vintage) with Fanuc 6t controls, an M4 (small grey, 1978 vintage) and a Powermaster (large grey, 1976 vintage). Basically I'm on the hunt for some more information about whether it's possible and level of difficulty to "upgrade" the Fanuc 5t controls on the M4 and Powermaster to the Fanuc 6t controls on the M5. To clarify, I'm totally clueless here, but the gentleman that is asking me seems to think that the easy part would be acquiring the 6t controls, and is wondering about the overall effort needed to complete the job. Here's some photos for visual aid:
M4.jpgM5.jpgPM.jpg

I don't think so. You cannot program the PLC to fit your particular machine or set the options to match your machine. The only way you could do it is to take the entire control from a machine that was basically identical to the the machine you want to upgrade.

Maybe there is some upgrade you can do to the interface but leave the control alone. I don't know.

I don't think so. You cannot program the PLC to fit your particular machine or set the options to match your machine. The only way you could do it is to take the entire control from a machine that was basically identical to the the machine you want to upgrade.

Maybe there is some upgrade you can do to the interface but leave the control alone. I don't know.

That was my concern, but unsure.

To be honest I think what they really want is more of an interface upgrade, if only because the 70s vintage machines are at the point where they're a bit harder to deal with because you can't see shit on the screen or the entire controller itself anymore.

Hi, I bought a MAZAK m4 Fanuc 5t controller. I would like to change the controller to another, but I don't have the electrical wiring diagrams.

Back