What's new
What's new

Coolant not working in Auto Mode...

mmurray70

Stainless
I have a older T1 quick turn 10 and tonight the coolant stopped working while in auto mode. Works fine if you put the machine in any of the manual modes and put on coolant, but no longer working from M8 in a program.

Seemed to die gradually. Noticed coolant was slowing down a little while running a job so i topped it off but it continued slowing and now it barely makes an offer at all. Pump isnt spinning now. Any suggestions?

Yes. Pump not even spinning, relay not clicking. Everything fine in rapid or handwheel mode. And amazingly even if i use reform to run a finish pass it cuts in automatically! But not in auto. And I really dont think its the program or anything im missing, like i said i was running a batch of parts, and it started acting up part way through and eventually stopping all together.

Back up plan is to rig up a relay thats triggered by spindle fan or spindle drive output. And add a switch for manual/off/auto. But hopefully theres an easier fix. Im nervous that this could be something deep in the controller and not an easy fix. Please help me out guys before I start hacking up my machine!

Well that's confusing... I'm guessing you've tried another program? Also you could put it in single click mode and watch the command screen to see that is giving an m08. Also you could try MDI input an m08.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

It was late last night when I discovered this so didnt get a chance to try much. Tried another program today and it worked!

Difference is that the program I was working with last night had M8 added under "M code" at the end of the first process, and the other program that i tried today had M8 on its own line. I tried putting M8 on its own line and its working again.

Im still very new to mazatrol. Shouldn't it be ok to just add M8 inside the first process? This was working for me for half dozen parts or so and then slowed down and stopped. Really weird.

It was late last night when I discovered this so didnt get a chance to try much. Tried another program today and it worked!

Difference is that the program I was working with last night had M8 added under "M code" at the end of the first process, and the other program that i tried today had M8 on its own line. I tried putting M8 on its own line and its working again.

Im still very new to mazatrol. Shouldn't it be ok to just add M8 inside the first process? This was working for me for half dozen parts or so and then slowed down and stopped. Really weird.

I start all my Mazatrol programs with process 1: M-Code M8

In my experience (Mazatrol T2 control) you won't get coolant until the end of the sequence where the M8 is issued.
This is consistent with EIA/ISO for Fanuc machine I've run. M8 and M9 are executed at the end of a block.

I believe they did this to save an extra block of code (back in the punch-tape days).
You can tack the M8 onto the positioning move to the WCS and it will execute right before the first feed command.
You can tack the M9 onto the end of the last travel command and coolant won't stop until cutting is done.

Here's a little piece of a manual from an old Fanuc machine that confirms this order of operations in G-Code:
KV-700_Machine_Codes_04.jpg

Well I still have no idea why it worked for a while and then stopped when I had M8 within the process. But I ran the machine for 4-5 hrs today and it worked great with M8 on its own line. So ill just keep doing it this way in the future. Thanks for the help again guys :)

Well I still have no idea why it worked for a while and then stopped when I had M8 within the process. But I ran the machine for 4-5 hrs today and it worked great with M8 on its own line. So ill just keep doing it this way in the future. Thanks for the help again guys :)
That's how I was taught to do it as well, m8 in the first line every time.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Back