What's new
What's new

Coolant problem

HappyChappy

Plastic
Hello,

so we have a Mazak Quick Turn Smart 200M and we filled it up with a semi synthetic coolant. It was okay for a while but all of a sudden the coolant becomes diluted. Oils float to surface, and the % of the concentrate mixture goes down. It's like the concentrate evaporates or something.
We also installed an oil skimmer, but oil keep coming back.

We had no problems with this coolant before, now all of a sudden it has become a problem.

Thanks for the answers!

Your coolant is "breaking", or demulsifying. What kind of coolant is it? Caused by several different things. What kind of materials are you cutting? Are you cutting any Titanium? More details please.

Thank you for the quick response, I think its mostly stainless steel and aluminium. I'm not so sure because im fairly new here at the company and they gave me this job to find a solution.. I will ask tomorrow morning for more details.
You said its breaking, what causes it to break? And what details do you need about the coolant?
Thank you!

Your coolant is "breaking", or demulsifying. What kind of coolant is it? Caused by several different things. What kind of materials are you cutting? Are you cutting any Titanium? More details please.

Okay so coolant is semi-synthetic, has no cloride, without secondary amines, without formaldehyde and it doesn't foam. The materials we cut are Aluminium 2017-2030 and Steel 11SMnPb37. Lubricating oil is OLMAPOLAR 68D, and Hydraulic oil is MOBIL DTE 24 if this helps.

All coolants contain an emulsifier to keep the components of the coolant emulsified, or mixed. Something is stripping the emulsifier, or keeping it from doing its job. Titanium will do this. Since it has been working well, but is not now, something has obviously changed. Have you changed water sources? Is this a new batch of coolant? There are many good, old threads about this problem. Look back at some of the older threads on this topic, you may find what you are looking for. You might repost this from the Mazak forum to General. The make of the machine should have nothing to do with the performance of the coolant, and you might get more response.

All coolants contain an emulsifier to keep the components of the coolant emulsified, or mixed. Something is stripping the emulsifier, or keeping it from doing its job. Titanium will do this. Since it has been working well, but is not now, something has obviously changed. Have you changed water sources? Is this a new batch of coolant? There are many good, old threads about this problem. Look back at some of the older threads on this topic, you may find what you are looking for. You might repost this from the Mazak forum to General. The make of the machine should have nothing to do with the performance of the coolant, and you might get more response.

Yes I have seen another post about a emulsion problem where water was the main culprit. This is true that last year we changed the water source.
We did a little test where we put some concentrate and water in a smaller container to see what happens, but no oils come to surface, only water evaporated after a while.
What substance in water would cause it to demulsify the mixture? Do you maybe know what tests could i do?
And I've been told they changed the chuck paste to Fuchs Renolit Chuck Paste, if this has anything to do with it.
I will take your advice and move this topic to general.
Thank you very much!

Back