What's new
What's new

Drill Centers

will_0000

Aluminum
Hi

We have just recently put in a Mazak QT20N, Nice machine and runs well, really pleased with it on the first couple of jobs it did (Basic OD and ID turning). However using a 35mm U drill today and basicly wrote it off due to it being off center (2mm below). Worried that the turret might be off in some way, Is there a set offset for drills in the X axis? Can't find one in any documentation I have (I used an offset that was all ready in the machine) I had a lot of trouble clocking up the OD tool holders afterwards? What is the best method of checking everything is in line, where to start?

With regards

Will

If your turret is off vertically you will either need to realign the turret or try to shim it. What year is the machine? How are you defining center location?

Use a coaxial indicator to find center. Chuck up on the stem and check all of the ID pockets. Anything more then a few tenths isn't good. Especially when using a medcut drill.

Edit: ahhhhh holy crap off 2mm. Going to need major alignment for that, man that must of been a narly crash.

Did you touch off the x axis for the drill or do have a zero in the x offset register? None of my ID pockets have a "0" for the offset, all are +/- .005 from each other and no where machine 0 in the x. I wrote down the "x zero" offsets for each ID pocket on the door, when I want to drill I just enter that as the offset directly.

Thanks for the help and advise, After clocking everything it turns out that the U drill holder has been reworked in the past and is off, same with one of the other holders that has been sleeved. Turret is spot on.

check out spindlecentric.com

Getting drills and other center working tools aligned with the lathe spindle can be frustrasting. Typically several pieces of tooling are nested into the id block. Look how erro accumulates. Turret rotation is off slightly, turret face alignment is off slightly, id block off slightly, bushing has a little clearance, set screws apply force perpendicular to shank moving drill or drill chuck off center.

The nice thing about spindlecentric is that it can be adjusted independent of the turret and id tool block.

Back