What's new
What's new

Newbie Mazak Owner

dipiazzamachine

Plastic
Hi All, I have finally purchased my first Mazak cnc. Its a 1985 Quickturn 10n with a T2 control.

The machine has been in storage for some years being from the failing Detroit area education department. So that being said it of course is missing the parameters. I have a few questions to ask you guys to help get me started.

Would anyone have a copy of the parameters and procedure to install them that I could buy?

Is there a floppy drive on this machine? Or do I need a external drive to input parameters.

Would anyone have a set of manuals that I could copy or buy?

Any input, leads or advice would be appreciated. thanks

Go to Mazakusa dot com look for your locate office in your state, then call their office ask for services department. they have all the information that you just ask.

Mitsubishi Electric Automation, MEAU, is also a great resource to help with your machine. As Mitsubishi builds all the electronics for Mazaks...

Thanks for the input, I have contacted Mazak service and they will send me generic parameters. My service man wants the original factory parameters. The service guy at Mazak says I don't need them for a old T2 control. Who do I believe? Do I need the original or will the generic work?

Do I need the original or will the generic work?

The generic will work fine, if the machine has some special options then the original would be best. There isn't that many and can be loaded by hand.

Is there a floppy drive on this machine? Or do I need a external drive to input parameters.

At one time Mazak built a floppy drive that hook to the machine and once in a while you'll see one on fleebay but they are expensive and when they break I have no clue who could replair them. The most affordable method of transferring programs is a DNC called Ezatrol, and works well with Mazatrol. Keep in mind that most DNC will not with with Mazatrol as it has its own proprietary language.

I got the manuals in from Mazak on friday, the entire set was $750.00

Machine is in position,level, and now has power to it, We are going to fire up and load parameters on Monday, Keeping my fingers crossed.

As one of the young gun machinist at the shop would say,

While bopping his head listening to music with his Dr Drey head phones on ,

" Turn baby , Turn. "

Good Luck ,..............

Ok, Parameter load and power up went great about 9hrs of scratching my head, Got most of everything working using generic parameters. Had some issues with tailstock(found out the drive block was disconnected) and had to change a parameter to get turret to index, I think there is a misprint in my manual.

I have some questions that I hope yinz are willing to help with

When I use the tool setter the x value is not what it should be. How Do I compensate for that?

also when using the tool setter, I touch for my x measurement and it enters x and z. What Am I doing wrong.

How do I set the x and z values if I just wanted to do them by taking a test cut and micrometer, like if I did not have a tool setter.

thanks

Ok, Parameter load and power up went great about 9hrs of scratching my head, Got most of everything working using generic parameters. Had some issues with tailstock(found out the drive block was disconnected) and had to change a parameter to get turret to index, I think there is a misprint in my manual.

I have some questions that I hope yinz are willing to help with

When I use the tool setter the x value is not what it should be. How Do I compensate for that?

also when using the tool setter, I touch for my x measurement and it enters x and z. What Am I doing wrong.

How do I set the x and z values if I just wanted to do them by taking a test cut and micrometer, like if I did not have a tool setter.

thanks

I posted the procedure to calibrate the probe in post #14:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/qt20n-turret-only-indexes-one-direction-264536/

As I move the machine axis around I notice the x readout is not reading on the diameter, its reading what it actually moves. Is there a parameter wrong or how do I get it to read diameter?

Back